HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

purpose of the cervix purpose of the cervix

Unread 03-23-2004, 08:31 AM
purpose of the cervix

My surgery will be taking place sometime in early June. At my last consultation with my doctor, he told me that he normally removes the cervix with the uterus because it really doesn't serve much purpose after a hysterectomy. Can I please get some other views this? Will this have an impact on post-hysterectomy sex?
Unread 03-23-2004, 08:35 AM
purpose of the cervix

There are a lot of questions about this on this site. I had an SAH, and I am an advocate of keeping all body parts that aren't causing trouble.

I think the cervix serves the purpose of pelvic floor support, as well as enhanced sexual pleasure.

Here's a recent thread that has views on both sides

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=134496
Unread 03-23-2004, 09:18 AM
purpose of the cervix

I had a TAH/RSO on 2/23/04. My doctor told me the same thing and i, like you, had some questions and concerns. A friend of mine's father is a retired OB/GYN and he said that it unless we are living in the 50's it's common practice to remove the cervix along with the uterus. I spoke with my doctor and he said pretty much the same thing. He said that he has only performed a few hysterectomies where he left the cervix, he also said that it was my body and if I was that upset about it, he would leave it if he could. He explained that the cervix is the opening or the end of the uterus and it is possible that a small portion of the uterus could be left in which would mean the possibility of continued bleeding, etc. Fast forward to my surgery and my doctor ended up having to take the cervix due to the amount of bleeding I was having.

I can tell you that for me, sexual response has not changed for the worse, in fact, it has increased. I have not yet had intercourse, but we have had other types of fun and to me, orgasm is better. I even had one during a dream a few nights ago and that is something that has never happened to me. The only thing I can figure out is that minus all of the pain and the bleeding that I have been living with for so many years, sex is going to better than ever - at least that is what all the signs are pointing to thus far.

Talk openly with your doctor, don't be afraid to ask questions. If the removal of your cervix is a concern to you, as it was to me and I'm sure many others, let him know and perhaps he will give you the choice or at least help you understand why it is removed and ease your mind about it.

Good luck and take care!
Unread 03-23-2004, 09:51 AM
purpose of the cervix

Remember that the cervix is not a separate body part. It is the lower part of the uterus.

Studies show that most women do not achieve orgasm through their cervix. I know I don't. Studies also show it's not needed for pelvic support.

I think most docs would prefer to remove it, but these days there is so much on talk shows about keeping the cervix for sexual reasons that they leave it up to the patient to avoid litigation later.

I had the TAH 4 years ago and everything is great! Good luck.
Unread 03-23-2004, 02:16 PM
purpose of the cervix

am unsure as well about the cervix. My surgery is may 3..my dr. said you dont need it to achieve an orgasm, in fact i have a few friends that had theirs removed and they said theres are more intense. I am going to have mine removed i think. Cervical cancer doesnt run on either side of the family. And my dr. said that all of my paps have come back normal so there would be less than a 10 percent chance of anything happening.
Unread 03-23-2004, 02:26 PM
purpose of the cervix

Was quite worried about the cervix and the ovaries part. I had discussed it with md and did research. Conclusion was that the cervix would possibly have some of uterus, hard to separate two of them since it is the opening of the uterus. So, I did not want to risk having bleeding or cervical cancer, plus if I don't want to I never have to get a pap again. (although an occasional check up is advised) For the ovaries, once the uterus is gone, there is still a possibility of ovarian cancer, and since there is no opening to them it would be not be diagnosed until too late. So I decided to get rid of those too, turned out the fibroid was actually in one of them.
As far as sex goes, I have resumed intercourse and everything is much better, no problems, intensity is immensely better. (Had it too early, shh, don't tell md. But I would not recommend anything as early as we did, just happened, but then I had been in a panic that we messed up things or the cuff had been damaged. So it is not worth the risk or worry)
Unread 03-23-2004, 03:15 PM
purpose of the cervix

Thanks Terbear, I guess i feel the same too. Get rid of the cervix, i will keep an ovary. And as far as the sex thing goes, thats great to hear! lol
Unread 03-23-2004, 03:25 PM
purpose of the cervix

Ever since I was a kid I thought that the cervix was strictly where the vagina ended and the uterus began. The only purpose it served, in my brain, was to keep the penis on one side, and babies on the other.

When my sister had her TAH, she said they removed her cervix along with the uterus. In all seriousness I asked her if she had an endless vagina because of it!

Cervix? Cervical Cap? I figured it was the stopping point was all. Had NO idea until I started researching my own TAH and looking at the diagrams.

I guess that goes to show how well sex ed was back in the late 70's. For sure they never mentioned it had anything to do with orgasms or sex. Everything "down there" was strictly used for making babies.
Unread 03-23-2004, 03:31 PM
purpose of the cervix

What I remember from my biopsychology classes is that the cervix is part of the uterus. Other things I considered in deciding to get rid of mine: I had been dealing with abnormal paps and surgeries for dysplasia. I was having the procedure because of excessive beleeding which may not be eliminated entirely if you keep the cervix. And, my surgeon was more comfortable removing it. I do believe in leaving the healthy parts like my ovaries, but the cervix is not really separate and mine wasn't entirely healthy.

It was a very easy decision for me. I asked her about supporting the other organs and she told me that the other organs have their own ligaments and connective tissues. I have never carried a child so everything is pretty secure down there and I'm not worried about prolapses or anything.

Have you ever felt your own cervix? I have and I don't remember it having much sensation. You know when something on your body is numb and you can feel it if you touch it from the outside but can't feel it being touched? That's how I remember my cervix feeling. And, think of a pap smear when the doc scrapes it with a q-tip-like swab. It's sort of a surreal feeling, but not too sensitive.
Unread 03-23-2004, 03:40 PM
purpose of the cervix

very true, this is going to sound dumb, but during a pap it almost feels a little uncomfortable when he does that.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.