Bladder surgery | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder surgery Bladder surgery

Unread 03-25-2004, 03:41 PM
Bladder surgery

After reading this website, I am SURE someone has had this. Thank heavens for you ladies

I have a fibroid sitting on top of my cervix - it is a biggie. It has tipped my cervix forward and is pressing on my bladder. The dr does not want to do anything to the bladder until 6 weeks post op b/c removing the fibroid might make my leaking (lovely thing that it is) go away. The bladder might just pop back so to speak. Or the fibroid might actually be making the leaking less because it is pinching off the urerthra ( hope that is correct - college bio was a LONG time ago). So actually removing the fibroid might make it leak more. Love that thought. She said it is 50/50 either way. It makes sense to wait rather than correct something that may not be wrong. It we correct it and there is nothing wrong, she said I would have to "self- cath". I did not like the sound of that at all.
Do any of you sisters have any experience with this and the subsequent bladder surgery. Dr said it would be vaginal and much easier surgery and recovery than hysterectomy. Hmmmm. I would like some input. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2004, 05:34 PM
Bladder surgery

Hi Diamond -

I would definitely see a urologist. I had bladder surgery w/my TAH/BSO and sincerely regret it. My bladder is now much worse than it was pre-surgery. During my second surgery to remove an infected mesh they took town the original bladder tack due to pain in my abdomen when I urinated. I now have scar tissue on my urethra and adhesions on my bladder. They will try again to fix the problem in 9-12 months.
Bottom line - make sure you have a very experienced urologist on hand if they are going to touch your bladder. The urologist could even be on hand when you have your surgery.
Best of luck!
Jan
Unread 03-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Thanks

Thanks - I think we are going to do a 2 step surgery if that is what it takes. My dr didn't want to fix it until we knew for sure it was broken. I was wondering what bladder surgery was like if we had to go that route and how many women have had the leaking stop just by having the hysterectomy and the experience of those whose leaking got worse.

Yours does not sound like fun at all. I am a big
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2004, 06:12 PM
Bladder surgery

Lots of people have great experiences w/bladder surgery. My GYN told me the bladder is really finicky- that is why you want an experienced urologist.
Good luck! And yep - I believe in the saying 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it!'.
Jan
Unread 03-25-2004, 07:52 PM
Bladder surgery

Hi
I had Lavh-bladder and rectum repair.
Before this I was always leaking Pee every time I had a big cough, sneeze or even run! etc.
I had a huge fibroid too that was resting on my bladder. My doctor said that he could wait and see if I needed work done on my bladder after the op, but as I was leaking anyway and it seemed like the walls were weak, we agreed that he would do it all in one swoop. I did end up with a catheter for the first 11 days because I was unable to pee by myself, but once it was out, I have no more leakages.
If you think that you can go through 2 ops than that is good. Your doctor is the best person to give you the best advice.
Good luck
Unread 03-26-2004, 07:42 AM
Bladder surgery

Thanks for the input. I have suggested to the dr that if she something wrong just go ahead and fix it. I had a hunch the baldder could be a bit tricky. Mr dr is part of a uro/gyne specialty group so they seem to be up on it.

I will not miss this organ at all. I am for sure going to be w/sister flo on my surgery date. I can feel it coming on. While I am sad at this chapter is over, I won't miss the pain.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register