Incision came open | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Incision came open Incision came open

Unread 03-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Incision came open

My tale of woe.

I had my TAH on 3/9 and hospital experience was just fine. Only one bout of vomiting (because they mistakenly brought me a full breakfast one day post op); did everything on time (pass gas, BM, etc.) and was feeling pretty lucky. Developed a kidney infection 4 days post op (got an antibiotic though so it cleared up) and at 6 days post op had staples removed. That night, I felt something funny going on so I got up thinking I need to go to the bathroom. Well, funny is right, my incision had burst open and blood was streaming down my legs from the incision site. DH and DS raced me to emergency and my DR said that because of all my bruising that the fluid had to come out somewhere. If it hadn't burst open, it would have stayed in the incision and created infection and there would be a bigger problem to deal with. Long story short, he decided to leave the incision site open and for 2 weeks now, I have been going to his office every day for him to clean out the site and repack it with gauze. Just riding to his office wipes me out totally. I am dealing with some increasing degree of depression because of course, I wanted to be further along in recovery by now. My DR says I am healing but it doesn't seem like it because it is secondary healing - from the inside out but he says he has seen major improvement at the site. No infection detected yet. The pain seems worse when I have to have a BM and I live in a 2 story house and can only navigate the stairs once or twice a day without major exhaustion setting in. I am trying to wean myself off Darvocet as I think that might be contributing to my feelings of depression (self-diagnosis, my DH thinks I am nuts). Switched to Advil, sometimes it helps, sometimes not. Taking Premarin .45 mg and so far have only had one major hot flash and one minor one. No other menopausal stuff that I can pinpoint.

On the good side, however, I have the best DH and DS (16 y/o) around. They take care of me like I am a piece of rare and fine porcelain. My DH sponge bathes me, washes my hair, and shaves my legs for me. Although he mentions my crankiness, he also understands totally that it is because of my "complications" and since my active life has become so inactive of late. More reasons I am depressed no doubt.

Also, for those of you who wonder, this is by far the most intensive surgery I have had AND I have had other surgeries... such as gallbladder (pre-laser), appendix, tonsillectomy, cysts removed from my breasts at two different times and that C section 16 years ago. This tops them all in every way.

Anyone else had this open incision problem, depression? Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2004, 06:29 PM
Incision came open

Your story is exactly like mine..I freaked when i saw the blood gushing out, didnt know what to think, my husband called 911, that was embarrassing..

I dont go to the doctor daily for dressing changes, my hubby does it, 3 x a day for me..doctors check it once a week for me..it was 5 inches long and about 4 inches deep...that was 2 weeks ago, now it is closing fast...think the increasing the dressing changes to 3 x a day helped that...watch your temperature close,take it before you take your pain meds...percocet have tylenol in it and will keep your temp down..the minute you have a temp get some antibiotics on board...i had an infection with mine...I felt like crap for the first 3 weeks, of my surgery, im at the begining of my 4th week and actually yesterday and today i felt somewhat human again..still tire out and can only walk for about 30 minutes tops now without getting pain and or too exhausted to finish... I went off my narcotics about 15 days post op, felt too they were causing me to be a little depressed...that first day without narcotics i was very sick, think that was withdrawls from the narcotics..when i went to the doctor for my wound check he noted my pressure was up and it was because i was taking no pain meds...told me to take something motrin or alleve..so started taking that..I am just starting to feel like myself in my head..very restless,depressed,everything you name it i felt it...my suggestion is just hang in there, it does get better..keep drinking fluids..i feel for you,im experiencing everything you did and now im doing better.....

write me if you need help
connie
Unread 03-28-2004, 06:38 PM
Incision came open

I just wanted to say I hope you feel better soon!! I had this happen when I had a c-section. Got infected and busted open! I was fortunate enough to be in the hospital at the time. My baby was 10 weeks early and I was in the nicu visiting her at the time. They had to admit me for 3 more days to give me antibiotics by IV. Then I was sent home and had to pack my own 3x a day also. It does make for a slower recovery thats for sure! Hope you feel better soon! Christy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Incision came open

So sorry you ladies have gone through such a trauma. I had one staple pop out the day before I was to have them removed, and it bled a little bit and freaked me out! I can't imagine having the incision pop open like that. God bless you all and keep the infections away.

BTW, my uncle had surgery for a bowel obstruction and gallbladder problems, and the dr. decided to leave his incision open because he already had so much infection. The opening was about the size of his fist, and he went through the daily cleaning and packing for over a month. So it ain't just us gals! And he said it was no fun, and he was very sympathetic after my surgery.
Unread 03-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Incision came open

nck,

I also had my incision split...in 3 places. It wasn't too scary since I'd read about that happening right here on this site. It was, however, pretty inconvenient.

The doctor said it was a seroma and it's caused by the bloodflow not being as good as it should be. The fluids aren't absorbed into the body like they should. My incision was where I had 2 c-sections previously and this accounts for the problem. While it didn't hurt, it had to be cleaned at least twice a day and rebandaged. It split on about day 7 post op and took almost 3 months to heal completely. My scar where it split doesn't look any different than the area that didn't come open.

I do hope you will talk to your doctor about your concerns regarding depression and pain medications. If you are hurting, you will be tense and it will make it tougher for your body to heal. He may have a different pain medication that works well for you and doesn't make you feel more depressed.

Hang in there...it does get better.
s
Cat
Unread 03-28-2004, 08:53 PM
me too

My incision is still open in three places, but the sernomas are mostly drained. Dr packed them every 2-3 days. I also rushed to the ER after I had gushing blood. Better safe than sorry. And it is scary!

Hope you feel better soon!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register