How long did your surgery last? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long did your surgery last? How long did your surgery last?

Unread 03-29-2004, 06:29 PM
How long did your surgery last?

I am wondering about how long the actual surgery lasted for you? I am scheduled to have a TAH on June 1st--I realize some surgeries are longer, due to more repairs being done, etc, but I am trying to get a feel for this. How many nights did you spend in the hospital as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2004, 06:34 PM

The length of surgery can depend on what type of surgery is done, how extensive the surgery is, and whether other procedures are done at the same time.

I had a LAVH - the actual surgery was about 2 hours. I sapent 1 night in the hospital.

Unread 03-29-2004, 07:19 PM

My TAH/BSO took around 45 minutes, just as my gyn told me it would. Your gyn should be able to give you a time estimate, if you ask the question at your next appointment. I was in the hospital three nights. I am fortunate that everything went as smoothly as it possilbly could have. Best wishes to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2004, 07:21 PM

Hi Melicole, I had a TAH on March 24th and my surgery lasted about 2 hours. I was in recovery another 2 hours before going to my room. I stayed in the hospital from Wed thru Sat. Best wishes to you and that your surgery goes smoothly.
Unread 03-29-2004, 07:55 PM

My surgery took a little over 2 hours. I had a TAH/BSO with ovarian cysts and severe endometriosis. I was in the hospital from Thursday through Monday. Best wishes to you!
Unread 03-29-2004, 08:07 PM

Hello
I had a TVH and a posterior repair. It took 2 and 1/2 hours for my surgery.
I spent two nights in the hospital. My DR told me how long it was going to take and he was right. Talk with your DR, he will give you an estimate on how long it will take.
Good luck.
Unread 03-29-2004, 08:37 PM

It lasted for 4 hours. They had to cancel surgeries scheduled after me because of it.

It was not at all pleasant.

I still feel like a piece of garbage 4 months later.

This TAH makes an old lady out of you real quick.

Sex life? Whats that?

The whole experience I deeply regret and it is not a "princess time" on any level whatsoever.

It is hell on earth IMO.
Unread 03-29-2004, 08:50 PM

TAH/BSO with ovarian cysts and endometriosis, also removed cervix:

1 hr, 45 min.
Arrived hospital 7:00 a.m. Friday morning, went home about 1:00 p.m. Sunday afternoon

Take the advice about no food or water pre-op seriously. I did as I was supposed to (Fleer liquid, pills and enema the day before, plus no water after midnight), and still threw up during surgery. Because of this, I was given nothing - not even ice chips or sips of water - for a full 24 hours after surgery. My trip to the Sahara wasn't pleasant.

I remember an angel (my friend, Elizabeth) pressing cold washclothes across my face and neck during this time, and it was heavenly. I basically had no food from Wednesday evening until a tiny tray of scrambled eggs and toast on Sunday morning. But going without water was the hardest.

I saw Hildago a couple of days before surgery. My first impression upon waking was that I'd been marooned in the same desert.

Don't throw up!

Aly

PS. I'm 11 days post-op now, and the pain and hunger and thirst are all just a fading memory. I feel terrific, and even though those few days were tough, they were a small price to pay to achieve the health and bright future I have now. I bet you'll feel the same on the other side.
Unread 03-29-2004, 09:21 PM

I had my surgery last wednesday 3/24/04, I asked my wonderful doctor how long it took and he said surgery was about an hour, recovery room about 45 minutes. I went in hospital at 8am surgery at 10 back in room by 12 and was able to get up by myself by 830pm, would probably had been sooner if I wasnt off in my own little world with the morphine....But he came in the next morning and released me before 10am.....so hospital stay was 26 hours total....It is totally unbelieveable how much things have changed...I had a LAVH and removal of left ovary...>Rhonda
Unread 03-30-2004, 11:32 PM

I had a TVH with bladder repair done 4 weeks ago. The surgery time was about 1 hr and 1.5 hrs in recovery.

I stayed in the hospital 2 nights.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register