HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Is this foul-odor drainage after hysto and bladder sling normal? Is this foul-odor drainage after hysto and bladder sling normal?

Unread 03-30-2004, 11:01 PM
Is this foul-odor drainage after hysto and bladder sling normal?

I still have quite a bit of drainage two weeks post-op, and MAN, is it foul-smelling! I read somewhere that bladder surgery does this, but can't remember for sure what it said.... I would have thought it was from the hysto instead. I can hardly stand it, and can smell myself even when fully clothed! I'm embarassed to sit anywhere near my husband! (He's the only one spending any time with me.... thank god) I wash up every morning and actually sit in the tub every night (hot, for sitz-bath type therapy.... helps that sore pelvic bone problem I'm also having) so it's not like I'm not being clean or anything. I was a basically oderless person before (at least hubby always told me that) so maybe I'm just really sensitive to that right now, but let me tell ya, I sure am glad I haven't been around any sniffing dogs lately.

Anyone else notice this? I'm not sure if it's maybe an infection, but I don't have a fever or anything? I mean, really, sometimes I think maybe I'm rotting from the inside!
Unread 03-30-2004, 11:11 PM

Yes, I had a very strong smelling discharge for about 4 weeks after my TAH. I was so self-conscious because I could smell it through my clothing too. It was a very strong ammonia odor. I understand that it is from the stitches dissolving and just the general healing.

Hang in there, it should go away in a couple of weeks.
Unread 03-31-2004, 12:48 AM

Do have your Dr check for infection. I had a TAH/BSO/bladder repair in September - had problems with discharge, pain, bleeding and found out it was staph aureus. After two months of IV antibiotics and worsening infection, I had another surgery five weeks ago to remove the infected mesh. The mesh was used to hold up my pelvic ligaments - and was infected with staph. The mesh had fused my bladder to my pelvic wall and they removed adhesions. N wonder it hurt! Another major surgery just five months after the first was awful. I

Staph is dangerous - please have your Dr rule it out.

Good luck and let me now how you make out.

Hugs,

Jan
Unread 03-31-2004, 07:22 AM

Is the drainage from the incision or from the vaginal area? I didn't really have a problem, but that was one of the things on my list to report to the doctor, so you should probably call to make sure it's not some type of infection........
Unread 03-31-2004, 12:06 PM

Bobo- I didn't have an incision, so it's from the "lower level"-- I can't tell if it's vaginal (from the hysto) OR from the urethra (due to the bladder repair). It's not really red, but more of a grayish, and no tissue, like old menses, but just fluid. I see my urologist on Thursday, so I'll ask then. I don't see my gyno for another 2 weeks.

Jads- did you have a fever at all? I asked right off the bat, upon discharge from the castle, how I would know if it was a bladder infection or normal healing, since I was sooooo prone to bladder infections in the past (due, I'm sure to it having fallen) and they said blood in the urine and fever. I don't have that.... but maybe if it's what you have, it's not really the bladder that is carrying the infection, but the sling itself? Guess I'll find out Thursday. I don't really have pain from it, or I'd call to get in today-- just the typical bladder pressure from healing, and a little burning.... which is probably because --try as I do-- I can NOT get all that recommended fluid down me! I am just not a water drinker! (Comes from years of shying away from fluids due to lousy bladder control!)
Unread 03-31-2004, 12:37 PM

Mindgames,
I had an odor and found out that I have a bacterial infection. Even when I was bleeding it smelled. Not bleeding anymore but I still have the odor but isnt that bad anymore. Drs going to treat the infection in couple weeks....said its normal to get one after this kind of surgery. I smelled myself through my clothes to.......I would always ask DH do you smell me or do you smell that.....said he couldnt smell anything, so I guess it was just me that was smelling it.....thank goodness.....lol. Ask your dr to check for infection.....let me know what happens...glory
Unread 03-31-2004, 12:39 PM

you dont necessarily have to have a fever to have a bladder infection, or any other infection.....anything unusual should be reported to your dr.
Unread 03-31-2004, 12:53 PM

No - no fever with my discharge/bleeding. Only fever I had was right after my surgery. IT went to over 103 for a couple of days. I also had a bladder repair - and still have bladder pain from scar tissue/adhesions. They are going to go back in to fix it in 9-12 months when the scar tissue has formed properly and there is no more risk of staph. I didn't feel well - just general malaise - nothing specific.
Make sure your Dr does a culture and tests for staph.
Jan
Unread 03-31-2004, 01:44 PM

I do not know about the odor, but I was told not to take a bath untill I had my six check-up. you better call your Doctor.

Good luck

irishck
Unread 03-31-2004, 01:55 PM

glory, why is the doctor waiting a couple WEEKS to fix the infection? You'd think that would be something they'd like to treat right away!

Guess I just better start myself a list of things to mention to the doctor. I am the kind that always answers "fine!" and says nothing else when he asks how I'm doing....

Jads, I'm so sorry you feel generally crappy. Bet you're sure not looking forward to more surgery, either! (Although what makes them think there will be less chance of staph in 9-12 months? Or are they talking about your own infection possibly recurring?) Good luck to you-- that sure myst be disappointing to you, to know you have to have a rerun of some of this... and may be partially adding to your malaise. You have my best wishes!

irishck, I'm hoping your wrong in my case, as far as baths. I'm positive he told me I could-- even said sitz baths are great, and since I don't have one at home, I sit in the tub. I'm wondering if it's the "abdomninal" surgeries that are to stay out of the tub? I could understand that..... but I'm pretty positive my doc told me baths/showers-- it was all ok. Hope it's not just something my brain fog is telling me!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.