HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

hpv just how long can it be dormant? hpv just how long can it be dormant?

Unread 04-01-2004, 01:15 PM
hpv just how long can it be dormant?

Well my D and C went just fine, the lab report came back fine, I had my yearly PAP at the post op appointment and this morning I get a phone call......
My PAP came back abnormal, not cancer she said, but they needed my permission to do more testing to see what strain of hpv it is.HPV!!!???
During this call my husband is trying to tell me to make him some breakfast, gheesh how typical!! lol

Here is my question...
I have had normal paps for over 30 years, I have been married for over 30 years, I, repeat I, have been faithful. Can't say the same for my spouse. Could this be from over 30 years ago, or is this a another painful reminder of my husband's infidelity 14 years ago?

Trudy
Unread 04-01-2004, 02:50 PM

I know that it can lay dormant for a long time but I am not sure how long. I had been with my husband for 10 years when I was diagnosed and the gyn said that it can lay dormant for much longer than that.
Unread 04-01-2004, 03:10 PM
hpv

I had the same phone call re abnormal pap. I've been married for 27 years and have only been with my husband (I met him when I was 16). He was 19 and had a little more "experience". My PAP smears have been done annually and always normal. I believe my husband has been faithful to me, but I sure had a lot of questions and there are many varying opinions as to how we get this HPV. I think it is largely sexually transmitted but NOT ALWAYS. My Dr. told me stories of how one of her patients had been a widow for 30 years and hadn't been sexually active and came down with a positive HPV - sometimes there are no answers. Concentrate of boosting your immune system and looking forward. It was stressing me out and making me miserable trying to figure out the why and how. So in answer to your original question, this virus CAN lay dormant for many, many years. I understand that things like stress can trigger this virus into active mode. I fully understand how you are feeling.
Unread 04-01-2004, 04:29 PM

Well maybe stress is a factor here, my oldest is getting married, the first wedding for us as parents and I was just diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and have been in more pain than usual. Guess I have enough to worry about, I shouldn't be looking for more trouble!
Unread 04-01-2004, 04:41 PM

It is a virus like any other virus, and that means that it can be dormant forever. I have friends with herpes who have had a single outbreak in 30 years. Does this mean the herpes virus is gone? Nope. Just dormant.

I also have an evil strain of HPV, and I know it only began showing up 7 or 8 years ago. I'm reasonably sure dh has been faithful during the 20 years of our marriage. I think back to my wilder days and some of my former boyfriends, and I am willing to believe that I brought this little gift to our marriage. But it didn't really show for over 13 years, during a time of big league stress. I have heard anecdotal evidence of far longer dormancy periods. There is a really good book about HPV at Barnes and Noble. I read it when I first was thinking about hyst., and it had tons of great information. If you are interested, I can try to find the title. Although HPV has been around forever, it seems we are just beginning to learn about it.
Unread 04-02-2004, 12:08 PM

Hi Trudy!

This HPV can remain dormant for an incredible number of years. I have a ex and a current husband who could have "given" this to me, but the blame game didn't get me anywhere. Plenty of people have been unfaithful in their committed relationships, and if they are sorry and don't do it again, it is not good for them OR you to point out the long-reaching consequences. Please don't put yourself through that!

My husband was very insensitive about this, until I made him come to the oncologist with me. Now he is worried (which I didn't want either) and concerned. He's been much better about this, and helps me emotionally. He just needed to know I wasn't just whining (he can be such a butt), and that it is serious if it causes precancerous changes.

Tell your husband to make his own eggs (ha ha - I'm kidding) and come on line and chat with us. We will love and support and pray you through this.

Mel
Unread 04-04-2004, 06:25 PM

Vay Cay, I too know the virus can lay dormant for a long, long time. Also, the body can often clear itself of the infection if the immune system is strong. Just anecdotally, I think having an autoimmune disease probably makes us more susceptible. I belong to another group and it seems like many with fibromyalgia also have hpv problems. I have autoimmune thyroiditis and feel that high stress levels over many years contributed to my problems.

I know I was infected over 25 years ago. I had genital warts that were treated. I have had no recurrence and have been with the same man for 13 years. In December, I went to the gyn/onc for fibroids and she said I may have a recurrence. She biopsied the area and I had cancer in situ of the vulva. We didn't check for hpv but assume that it is hpv related.

I'm now hoping that it won't crop up again. There is a 30% chance of recurrence.

None of us will probably know 100% for certain about these things. My husband, who didn't know my old history, asked the doctor what caused this and she said "bad luck".

We have to deal with these things day by day. Good luck.
Unread 04-04-2004, 07:05 PM

VayCay-

I had a few slightly abnormal paps between 8-10 years ago. That was when I was in my early 20's. My retestes were fine. Never had a problem again until fall 2003. My husband and I have been together/married for 10 years. I am assuming it is HPV. I have glandular involvement and I read that 90% of the time this type is HPV involved. Who brought this on? I am not sure... could have been me or him. I highly doubt that he has been unfaithful but, we both had prior 'relations'.

Like what Who Me? wrote, Mine started when my autoimmune problems started to flare. The first abnormal paps about 8 years ago was around the time of my first 'flare'- right after childbirth- Then I was doing better for a several years. This past fall my autoimmune problem hit new heights. And the AIS arrived along with it. I am still trying to get a diagnosis for the autoimmune problem and then this just added to the stress. :burning:

Hugs,

Karen
Unread 04-05-2004, 09:12 AM
Autoimmune disease

Hi Ladies,

Just checking in as a third person with an autoimmune disease--I have MS and had adenocarcinoma. I never noticed a correlation for me with an MS flare and an abnormal pap, but then again, I've only had one flare so what do I know.

Foley, I agree with the second opinion thing, it can't hurt. Good luck to you!

Beth

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.