HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

needing tips for preparation for surgery needing tips for preparation for surgery

Unread 04-10-2004, 03:29 PM
needing tips for preparation for surgery

Hi ladies,
I'm so glad I found your website. I've read several posts and it seems so helpful already. I am supposed to be scheduled for a total abdominal hysterectomy / bladder suspension/ rectocele and cystocele repair for April 30th. I've been trying to prepare myself for the hospital stay and was wondering about some advice as to what sort of items I could take with me for comfort and support. Did any of you take any special vitamins or do anything spcecifically to prepare physically or mentally for your surgery? I would really appreciate your advice.
Thanks to all of you,
Debbie
Unread 04-10-2004, 03:59 PM

Debbie,
I cannot speak from experience. My surgery is scheduled for April 27, 2004. But my sister says I need to shave my legs, clip my toenails, and buy some drawstring pants.

I am looking forward to hearing what other people tell you.

CubicSize
Unread 04-10-2004, 05:00 PM

Long tee shirt night gown.
Stretch knit pants are great too. (Walmart $8.87)I own about 6 pair of them already and that's all I've worn after I stopped wearing my night gown all the time.
Lip balm-don't forget it.
Metal free hair tie (scrunchy) if you have long hair. (They won't let you keep it in during surgery if it has any metal clips on it.) But it's so much easier to keep your hair pulled back than to worry about it getting in your face.
If you take prescription meds for migraines...make sure they know what you take and that they have it in the hospital pharmacy or that you are allowed to take it if you need it while you are there. Bring it with you anyway just in case. (I wasn't allowed anything to eat or drink for the first 24 hours after surgery. Only ice chips......no food and no caffeine=migraine for me. When I asked them about taking my Zomig they first had to ask the doctor then they had to get it from the pharmacy in the hospital and it turned out that they don't carry that medicine so I ended up taking what I had brought with me.
Make sure you have plenty of easy snack foods for after surgery. As well as "healthy" stuff too. You don't want to have to wait for someone else to go shopping for you. (yogurt, cookies, ice cream, etc.)
Don't worry about taking something to read, you won't feel like reading.
Wear an outfit to the hospital that you will be able to wear home and you won't have to worry with a lot of clothes. I took a night gown with me, but didn't want to bother with it, so I didn't wear it.
I had my surgery planned for about 8 months. My sister lives in Texas and I in New York state. I wanted her to be hear for my surgery, so we planned a vacation for her and a mini trip for me. She came up here for 2 weeks. One week before surgery and one after. But the weekend before my surgery we drove to NYC and stayed the night. We visited Time Square and a few other places while there. Just a girl's weekend away. We both had our oldest daughters with us. (17 and 15) It was great for getting my mind off the surgery and giving us time together.
Now that this has turned into a really long post......Good luck with your surgery and I hope something I wrote helps you. (or someone else)
-Angelina
Unread 04-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Things to bring

Hi!

First off, good luck on your surgery! I just had a TVH and all I brought was my favorite housecoat, my slippers and toothbrush and paste. I brought a pair of twice the size panties since I was informed I would be swollen, which I was. I didn't feel like reading but I rented the tv for my room which was nice on the second day. The morning off my surgery, I had a long shower, shaved and painted my toes, something just for me. Hope this helps.
Unread 04-10-2004, 08:54 PM

Thanks to all of you for the good tips. I'm a little nervous about all of this. I've been a fairly healthy person and have only had one experience with surgery which was a tubal ligation. Now that seems pretty much in vain. But it worked good for about 13 years. Seems like several women I know who had tubals ended up having a hysterectomy later on in their lives.
I didn't think I might feel like reading for awhile after the surgery but thought maybe some relaxation tapes might be good with headphones and my walkman. I'm a little concerned with the bladder suspension too. My urologist says she's doing the Burch procedure if any of you are familiar with that. I'm a little nervous about maybe having to wear a catheter a few days afterwards. I don't know if it will help any but I plan to drink some cranberry juice for a few days before I go in for surgery. My doctor says it's gonna be about an 8 week recovery and even after that I will get tired easily. I'm just looking forward to not feeling like there's a baby in my uterus everytime I sit down with panty hose on. That's when I feel pressure and also have trouble with bowel movements at times since the 16 week size uterus lays on my bowel. Also bothers my bladder as well. I think my largest fibroid is about 10 cm. ? Not sure about that.
Again, I thank you for the tips and hope to hear from some more sisters. I will let you know how it goes with me. Thanks for your good wishes as well.

Debbie
Unread 04-11-2004, 01:19 AM

Take your own pillow! It's wonderfully comforting and will help you sleep, especially if you're like me and can't sleep on your back but kind of have to those first few days. I found that I really couldn't read--like my eyes just couldn't focus on that tiny print and with bigger print I just couldn't retain anything. TV is good, though and great brain candy. I just wore the hospital gowns but I took my own robe and slippers. Wear shoes you can slip on, not ones that tie. Lip balm is a must (I was yelling for mine the minute I woke up after surgery, apparently) and cell phone (check to see if it's allowed on your floor). If you forget toothbrush, toothpaste, etc. don't worry--the hospital can provide them or you can have someone bring them from home. One thing I found immensely helpful was my CD walkman (with extra batteries) and music that I liked.

I called a bunch of friends as soon as I got back to my room after surgery (I do remember calling people but not what I said). If you have loved ones or furbabies, a picture of them might be nice to have and look at.
Unread 04-11-2004, 03:19 AM

Hello,
these ladies have given you some great advice!
you may also want to check out the articles found on our home page.

Pre-Op Hints (click here) and the Post-Op Hints (click here), - they are full of great advice that will help you to prepare for your surgery and recovery.

One thing about painting toe nails (or fingers for that matter)... many hospitals will make you take off nail polish before surgery, so do check before you get any kind of mani-pedi-cure done.

best wishes!
Unread 04-11-2004, 04:29 AM

I'm glad you asked that question because I have been wondering the same thing. My surgery is April 22. Good luck to you..I will be thinking of you.

Denise
Unread 04-11-2004, 10:09 AM

Debbie & other pre-op sisters,
I found taking the very least worked best for me. The nurses were great offering extra pillows, blankets, etc. without me even asking.

I wore sweatpants, socks, shoes, bra and loose fleece pullover to the hospital.
Packed:
toothbrush & paste
hairbrush
lip balm
portable cd player & (didn't use)
easy crossword puzzle book (didn't use)
small tube of hand lotion
robe (didn't use--stayed in their gown/robe)
slip on slippers
larger panties (didn't use--wore their mesh ones home)
thin maxi pad (for going home instead of their bulky one)
lightweight, drawstring lounge pants

I wore home the loungepants, hospital underwear, the hospital stockings for circulation, my slippers, and the pullover top w/o a bra. Be comfortable!

Remind DH to have your tummy pillow in the car. I also suggested he throw in a box or two for the flower arrangements that were sent so they wouldn't fall all over in the car.
Also, if you have a choice of vehicles for your trip home, choose the one with the smoothest ride. You wouldn't believe how the tiniest bumps can jiggle a tummy!

The things I brought and didn't use haven't gone to waste. I've used all of them so far during my recovery.

For your early recovery at home, I'd suggest:
extra pillows
a tv tray beside your bed or sofa (or both, especially if you are maneuvering between two floors) with water, meds, phone, tissues, crackers, book
note cards and stamps for thank you notes
light, easy food that you can fix yourself

(I also shopped ahead for birthday cards, grad cards, etc for the next two months)

Hope that helps.
Best wishes,
Linda
Unread 04-11-2004, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ang_10_08
Long tee shirt night gown.
Stretch knit pants are great too. (Walmart $8.87)I own about 6 pair of them already and that's all I've worn after I stopped wearing my night gown all the time.
Lip balm-don't forget it.
Metal free hair tie (scrunchy) if you have long hair. (They won't let you keep it in during surgery if it has any metal clips on it.) But it's so much easier to keep your hair pulled back than to worry about it getting in your face.
If you take prescription meds for migraines...make sure they know what you take and that they have it in the hospital pharmacy or that you are allowed to take it if you need it while you are there. Bring it with you anyway just in case. (I wasn't allowed anything to eat or drink for the first 24 hours after surgery. Only ice chips......no food and no caffeine=migraine for me. When I asked them about taking my Zomig they first had to ask the doctor then they had to get it from the pharmacy in the hospital and it turned out that they don't carry that medicine so I ended up taking what I had brought with me.
Make sure you have plenty of easy snack foods for after surgery. As well as "healthy" stuff too. You don't want to have to wait for someone else to go shopping for you. (yogurt, cookies, ice cream, etc.)
Don't worry about taking something to read, you won't feel like reading.
Wear an outfit to the hospital that you will be able to wear home and you won't have to worry with a lot of clothes. I took a night gown with me, but didn't want to bother with it, so I didn't wear it.
I had my surgery planned for about 8 months. My sister lives in Texas and I in New York state. I wanted her to be hear for my surgery, so we planned a vacation for her and a mini trip for me. She came up here for 2 weeks. One week before surgery and one after. But the weekend before my surgery we drove to NYC and stayed the night. We visited Time Square and a few other places while there. Just a girl's weekend away. We both had our oldest daughters with us. (17 and 15) It was great for getting my mind off the surgery and giving us time together.
Now that this has turned into a really long post......Good luck with your surgery and I hope something I wrote helps you. (or someone else)
-Angelina

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.