HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Hysteroscopy-D&C-Ablation Hysteroscopy-D&C-Ablation

Unread 04-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Hysteroscopy-D&C-Ablation

Hello~
New here. Question for anyone.
Last Monday, the 5th, I went in for a hysterscopy, a D&C, and an ablation (Thermachoice). When the dr went in, my cervix would not open and he nicked the back of my uterus. Needless to say, none of the procedures were performed. Has anyone had this happen to you - cervix not opening?

I am 31 and single. I have no fibroids or cysts, as least according to the ultrasounds. On BCP, I have heavy bleeding, breakthrough bleeding, and extended periods of bleeding. This has been going on since the beginning - approx 20 years. Definitely tired of it.

I see my my dr tomorrow to discuss my options for the next step.

Just wondering if anyone else would share with me if this had happened to them.

Thank you.
Dutch872
Unread 04-13-2004, 10:20 AM

Hi Dutch,

I don't recall ever reading a post where the cervix would not dilate ... not to say it hasn't happened to someone else, but I can't recall reading any other stories quite like yours. I'm so very sorry to hear this and hope that you will have a good discussion with your gyn about what happened and the next steps he/she recommends.

Many years ago I had a diagnostic lap and a D&C, with no problems. So I can't share anything from personal experience.

Please keep us posted on what you learn from your doc and what you decide about further treatment. Sending extra hugs your way.

Beth
Unread 04-13-2004, 02:32 PM
ablation

Hello,

Having a Hysterectomy tomm, I am 34 and had ablation in November! Was successful but I have severe pain with no bleeding, the ablation is a great choice, but have to go through "The Real Deal" tommorrow! Goodluck and try to go back and get the ablation again!
Unread 04-14-2004, 08:08 PM
endometrial ablation

Hi, I had a hysteroscopy (removal of fibroid and polyp) and then an ablation, all about eight years ago now, for menopausal bleeding - wanted to stay on HRT.

Past eight years have been fine, no bleeding, but since the latest HRT study dr suggested I come off combined oest/progestin and go to sequential, which started me bleeding again and produced lots of severe pain over the three bleeding days.

Ultrasound and CT Scan showed more fibroids and an external mass which needed biopsy diagnosis (later found to be a pedunculated fibroid). I opted to have hyster rather than biopsy only and am now day 17 post-op. Aged 61 and didn't think uterus needed any more, but opted to keep ovaries.

Main problem with ablation seems to be that it only works for a while and for some (esp with HRT I think) the endometrium grows back. HRT works for me and I want to keep on it, now thankfully oestrogen only.

best of luck
Katiekins
Unread 04-16-2004, 05:13 PM

I had something similar happen to me - my D&C & Ablation was a failure because when the doctor put the instruments into my uterus, he went right through, and punctured my uterus.

After that, he did a laparascopy (to check for other damage), and they discovered severe stage 4 endo - no wonder I've been feeling like crap for 25 years!

But it was a blessing in disguise, since I have an actual diagnosis of what is wrong, and am scheduled for the hyst I've been begging for (for at least 5 years now) on June 9th.

I certainly know what a shock it is to wake up from anesthesia in the recovery room and be told that what you'd been hoping for and counting on for a LONG time had NOT been done. Plus, in my case, I was also told that instead of going home in a couple of hours (it was supposed to be day surgery), I'd be staying in the hospital over night, totally unprepared (had nothing with me).

Depending on what the issues are with you, the next step might be a laparoscopy (to go in and look around) or you may be asked to consider a hyst right away.

Good luck, whatever happens - sometimes things happen for a reason!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.