HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Having some pain & discomfort at IV site, wrist, arm Having some pain & discomfort at IV site, wrist, arm

Unread 04-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Having some pain & discomfort at IV site, wrist, arm

Wow, every time I have a question, it seems someone else is already asking it! This site is great! I didn't see one about this though. I have had trouble with this before, but not with as much discomfort, so long after the IV was removed. Surgery was April 1. The IV was removed on the 3rd with signs of infiltration-swelling and discoloration. It took about week for the swelling to totally subside. Now, I have sore places along that vein, and small knots that hurt to touch. I have applied a warm compress, but wanted to know if someone had this problem, too. What helps speed the healing process? I do not have to return to the Dr. for six weeks, but plan to call the nurse if this does improve soon!

Thanks!
smileycat
Unread 04-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Pain At I V sight

Post op 8 wks, Hardly can believe it. It goes so fast. I had the same , filtrated I . V. Put ice on it , not heat. My just went away at 6 wks and I still have the bruise marks on my arms . This is very painful and I can feel for you. This was just as bad as the other pain you had to deal with . You just have to be careful not to hit it or rub up against anything. Hope you get to feeling better.
Unread 04-13-2004, 12:45 PM

I am 7 weeks post op and still have trouble with my IV spot. they had to remove my IV in the hospital becuse my hand swelled up completely around it. I could not use my hand for a few days even after I got home. I still have a swollen black and blue area about 1 inch long and raised about a quarter of an inch. The doctor checked it and said just to be careful and eventually it will go away.
Unread 04-13-2004, 02:06 PM
Pain in arm

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but can't you get phlebitis from that? Is that what this is?
Unread 04-13-2004, 08:04 PM

My nurse called it phlebitus and told me to watch it for signs of infection or spreading. I couldn't wear a wach for a long time. I used both heat and ice. Whatever helped at the moment. It can take a long time to heal.
Unread 04-13-2004, 09:05 PM

If you have not already, have the site examined by a MD. Phlebitis is a possibility. Bumps could by many things, from the tiny valves in the vein being swollen to infected sites.

Hope it heals soon!
Unread 04-13-2004, 10:42 PM
Well, once again I am not alone...

My IV site is still giving me pain, swelling, etc. I am 7 weeks postop. Things are getting better now. I didnt have too many problems in the hospital, but it did get blocked. However, another time in the hospital I had a nerve collapse. I had a bruise & hard spot there for a ver long time!

Who knew that it would take as long for the IV site to recover as it does for the incision.

:confuse:

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.