HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Complications after Endometrial Ablation Complications after Endometrial Ablation

Unread 04-14-2004, 12:03 AM
Complications after Endometrial Ablation

Hi. This is my first message here -- hope I'm in the right message room. Long story short (I think) for several generations the women in my family have had problems with excessive bleeding and have ended up having hysterectomies.

After years of trying various medications and procedures I decided to have an Endometrial Ablation 2 years ago hoping that the excessive bleeding would abate. I have to say it is better, before the E.A. I would be in the bathroom every 15 minutes on heavy days, now I can go 30 or 45 minutes. Not all days are bad. Needless to say this is not the result I had hoped for.

The past two cycles I have noticed incredible pain on my left side during menstration, the most recent (currently happening) has been so bad that I can't bend or straighten without pain. It's literally breath taking. My guess is that many of you have experienced painful menstration but I'm wondering if any have had problems after an ablation?

Just wondering if anybody had any advise, sadly the next generation appears to be showing signs that this will be a problem for her too.

Any information would be appreciated
Unread 04-14-2004, 07:18 AM
Pain after ablation (long)

Hi!

I had an ablation almost 2 years ago and a hysterectomy a little over two weeks ago.

I bled heavily for years. Not as bad as you. I was in the bathroom every 45 minutes on my heavy days, but this wasn't conducive to my active lifestyle (i'm a teacher and fitness instructor) and, as I discovered, not "normal." I also bled more days during the month than not.

I tried BCPs, D&C, hysteroscopy, polyps removed, then the ablation. I didn't stop bleeding continually following the ablation until I stopped the BCPs 5 months post-op. I had about 8 decent periods. I also noticed pain on my left side throughout the month, but can not recall if it started before or after the ablation. I thought it was an ovarian cyst. My doctor said that my uterus tipped back and to the left.

Long story, sorry. Anyway, after 8 months I started having tremendous pain on the first day of my period which had always been relatively pain-free (or at least very tolerable). It was no longer just on my left side, but everywhere. Using the bathroom was tremendously painful. Shooting pains throughout my lower abdomin. When I asked my husband to stay home because I was in too much pain to get to the car and take the kids to school let alone drive it, I knew I had finally had it.

I have found that other women are also suffering with tremendous pain within months of having an ablation. I started reading about retrograde bleeding (bleeding back into the abdominal cavity) and this pain being similar to tubal ligation syndrome.

I have a friend whose husband is an ob/gyn. Just the other night I asked her to ask him if he sees this in his practice. I also asked her if he does research because personally I think this is an area that needs LOTS of research. Two years ago, not only did I not find any information on this type of pain, but it was never mentioned by my doctor.

As it turns out, I had endo and adenomyosis. Cause or effect? I don't know.

Sorry this is so long, but I think there are quite a few women out there suffering similarly.

Good luck with your research and decisions.

Glenda
Unread 04-14-2004, 08:02 AM

I had an ablation in November. It lessened the amount of flow I had, but my periods are still averaging 13 to 15 days post ablation. One thing I didn't count on was the worsening of the pain I have with my periods. Now I ache so badly for the first week. I'm even hurting down into my legs now....something that I didn't have pre-ablation. So, I'm scheduled to become a princess in a little less than three weeks. I can't wait!

I'm sorry your having so much pain now.
Unread 04-14-2004, 08:19 AM

my experience is much like those of other women, I had 7 - 10 days long periods which weren't really that abnormal but very very heavy bleeding and lots of pain and bowel issues. I had always thought I had endo and that was confirmed last year when I had my hyst.

I had thermal ablation done in Sept of 2001 - the week before 9/11 to be exact. When she went in she found no endo anywhere but said that my uterus was very boggy (sign of adeno) and as they were doing the procedure, she had to inject more than double the amount of the relaxant into the uterus because it kept contracting around the instruments. It did lessen the bleeding and duration of my cycles (4-5 days tops) and not so heavy for about the first year afterwards. I did notice an increase in pain afterwards, especially the first few days and my bowel issues got worse. When I had my hyst it was again noted about the bogginess of the uterus but it itself was not tested in pathology only my ovary that was removed, a mass attached to the ovary and my appendix which had already ruptured. I did research before the ablation and it is noted that 75% of women that have it done never have another period or pain and 25% do. I really think the numbers need to be reversed because I read more and more how many women still have problems post ablation. I have also found out that many women that have tubals done also tend to have more issues afterwards, Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome.

jody
Unread 04-14-2004, 08:28 AM
Another ablation suffered

Add me to the list. I had horrible periods with heavy awful bleeding after my last child.

Had an ablation in July - something went terribly wrong. Was OK for the 1st few days, and then some type of infection or something set in (Awful smell, lost lots of bad tissue.) Was very ill with post problems for about a month..

The ablation eventually settled down - bleeding less. But the pain is unbelievable - which I did not have pre-ablation. I still bleed 1/2 the month - and the pain is almost 3/4 of the time.

Vicodin today isn't enough - have to drive kids around so can't take enough to be pain free.

But one week from today - this exact time - this darned old uterus should be out of me.

In a way, I don't regret the ablation - it made me realize the hyster is the only way to go for me.

7 days to go - no nerves - just lots of blood and awful pain today.

Good luck - this site will help you!!
Unread 04-14-2004, 08:31 AM

Kathleen I will be thinking about you once I get out of surgery myself. I have to be at the castle at 6am for 7:30 surgery and am finally starting to get nervous and very preoccupied with the whole mess.

I wish you lots of luck and good healthy recovery!!!!!! I am losing my remaining ovary with an endometrioma cyst and anything else in there that needs to be cleaned up, I am not looking forward to waking up being in surgically induced menopause :O(

jody
Unread 04-14-2004, 09:51 PM

Ladies - well I guess most of you have moved on to princesses rather than the "ladies" status! Thanks for the feedback. I thought maybe I was just crazy and the ablation didn't have anything to do with it. The pain appears to be something that happens just for the first couple of days, thankfully.

I'm off to see the Wizard on Monday and we'll see if he can give me some answers as to why it would be an issue now -- and if the previously stated "you are an excellent candidate for vaginal hysterectomy" is still the case.

I just love this site!

Thanks again, I'll let you know if the castle appears in my future!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway