HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bladder Adhesions? Bladder Adhesions?

Unread 04-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Bladder Adhesions?

I had a TAH in '92. and at the time the surgeon admitted to cutting into my bladder. It was put to me as I am coming out of anaesthetic and as if it were somewhat a regular thing. I was out of it and didn't question him. I was on a catheter for at least a week and a half. I was angry. I didn't understand how this could happen especially if the catheter was placed pre-op to avoid this and other complications. Recently an internal exam at the Dr.'s results in a very sharp pain! You know when the Dr. puts their arm across and under your chest, moving downward like their gonna yard your inards out your bottom end? I was shocked at the pain and gave out a yip! I am experiencing slight stress incontinence during what I guess would be my "bad week", if I still had one. I am going for an ultrasound this afternoon. I've no bowel problems but could this be bladder adhesions? I'm scared of any HRT. Well, right now I'm just plain scared! I keep waiting for the payoff of my thirty years of smoking. I quite 4yrs. ago.
Unread 04-14-2004, 09:49 PM
Bladder Adhesions?

Hello there,

I had a tear caused in my bladder as well during surgery which the Gyn failed to detect during the op and I had to go back and have it repaired vaginally 10 days later and had a catheter in for 2 weeks. Nicking the bladder during the op is a complication and normally what happens is you are repaired during the op and you have a catheter for a while afterwards which sounds like what is what happened to you. However, my leaking returned and I have just had to have the bladder repaired abdominally and the Urologist said my bladder was badly damaged with scar tissue from the previous repair.

So I guess the answer to your question is that it is possible to have scarring on the bladder. However, I had a problem emptying my bladder after the first op and was having to squeeze or sit down again 2 or 3 times to feel empty. I am presuming that was the scar tissue because now I don't have that feeling any more since the scar tissue was removed. Perhaps as you haven't had any symptoms sinc 92 it may not be that in your situation.

Anyway, I hope you get some answers soon, let us know what happens.

Blossom
Unread 05-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Bladder Adhesions?

Thanks for responding Blossom.

Nothing has come from any of the tests I've had done. No bladder infection. Ultrasound didn't show anything. I'll leave this alone now unless the Doc says otherwise.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.