HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

myometrial fibroids? myometrial fibroids?

Unread 04-14-2004, 03:46 PM
myometrial fibroids?

Hello,
I've been looking around this site and it looks wonderful! I'm not sure if I'll need to have surgery yet or not. I've only been to see my primary doctor and he had an ultrasound done on me then told me I needed to go see a womans doctor(not his words, I'm a terrible speller and can't speel it hehe) cause I may need a hysterectomy. Anyway he gave me the ultrasound report to take with me and it says that it suggests multiple myometrial fibroids, does anyone know what that is? I've tried doing searches on it but can't find anything only thing I could find was nabothian cysts which was in the report also.

hehe talking about being afraid, it's not really a laughing matter but heck I'm afraid to go to this new doctor (I hate doctors), I'm afraid of needing a hysterectomy, afraid I wont need one, I'm afraid I wont do so well after surgery if I do get to have one, afraid they'll wanna try to do other options and wait and see how well they work before they concider a hysterectomy, afraid of the healing time after surgery heck there's just so much. I want a hysterectomy to get all this stuff over with for good but then I don't cause I'm afraid. hehe fear, it can be so confusing
Unread 04-15-2004, 07:05 AM
myometrial fibroids?

Dear Misty:

You should be able to find more info about fibroids in our Resources directory here: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...n=browse&cid=2

Good luck on your research. Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 04-15-2004, 07:54 AM
myometrial fibroids?

Hi,
thanks I'll check that link out and see what I can find

Get smart about my symtoms? I understand getting smart about my options hehe that's part of why I'm here so I can learn and find out but a hysterectomy is a good possibility to me and right now I'm just trying to figure out what this report means before I go see the gyn doc then I can hopfully be better informed.
I've been bleeding non-stop for about 5 months, light to real heavy so I went to see my doctor after I was to weak to handle it any more and found out I was anemic and later I got the ultrasound report saying I have fibroids. My mom said I should prepare mentally for a hysterectomy so I'm getting ready to hear the worst from the doc just in case. My mom had to have it done when I was young but I dont remember why, my aunt and grandmother also had to have it done so I'm thinking I probably will to.
Another question if someone doesnt mind answering it, I havent been to see a gyn in about 7 years, can someone tell me what to expect when I go to the docs? like what the first steps they might do, first tests to find out whats going on and so on?

Thanks for all your help
Unread 04-15-2004, 10:49 AM
myometrial fibroids?

Hi Misty,

There are several terms that are used interchangeably to refer to uterine fibroids - sometimes you see the word leiomyomata to describe a fibroid, sometimes you see terms like intramural, subserosal or submucosal to refer to the location of the fibroid (inside the uterine muscle, on the inside of the lining, or on the outside). I think myometrial simply means uterine muscle fibroid. But this will be a great question for the gyn - ask him/her to clarify for you. A website that helped me understand more about fibroids and their treatment was www.thefibroidplace.com You might want to check it out (of course, Hystersisters is my favorite resource! )

As for what to expect at your gyn visit - I'm sure the gyn will want to review your ultrasound report, ask you some questions and do an examination. If you have not had regular pap tests from your GP, then the gyn probably will do a pap test too. Depending on what the gyn finds, he/she may or may not order other tests such as blood test, another ultrasound, etc.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on what you find out. There are a number of other treatment options besides a hyst that might bring you good relief. So keep an open mind to all possibilities. Sending hugs your way.

Beth
Unread 04-15-2004, 11:19 AM
myometrial fibroids?

Thanks Beth you've been a big help. I'll check out that site as well 11 days and counting till my first gyn appointment then I can let you know and I'll know more what's going on

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}
Unread 04-15-2004, 01:36 PM
myometrial fibroids?

Hi - I just had a hysterectomy because of fibroids after dealing with them for over five years. I have done a lot of reading and, as you will discover, there is a bit of controversy over whether hysterectomy is necessary to treat fibroids. I decided to have the surgery because I was tired of feeling like I had to urinate all the time. My stomach was becoming distended, but my uterus was still small enough that there was a possibility the whole thing could be done laparascopically (didn't work). Anyway, things have ended up ok and I'm glad I did it. My advice to you, though, is: don't rush (unless you can no longer tolerate your symptoms), read all you can, know all your options from possible treatment for your symptoms to the different types of surgeries, get a doc you trust and make the decision that's right for you.
Unread 04-15-2004, 02:07 PM
myometrial fibroids?

Thanks for your reply hun,
I've been dealing with my cycles being "wierd" for awhile but it's just the last couple years they've been getting heavier and this past month that it's been out of control. I have a very low tolerance for dealing with it and can't handle trying different types of treatments to solve the problem. and if I need to take a medication for a long period of time to keep it under control it wont work, I cant take a pill every day to save my life if needed. that's why I'd rather have my uterus removed and be done with it but I know if it comes to that I'm probably going to freak and be upset. right now I've been trying to avoid all the emotions I'm going to feel with not being able to have another child but I know it'll probably hit hard. Anyway thanks again for your reply and big hugs to you
Unread 04-15-2004, 02:41 PM
myometrial fibroids?

Quote:
if I need to take a medication for a long period of time to keep it under control it wont work, I cant take a pill every day to save my life if needed.
Umm... I don't know quite how to say this, but... I had a hyst two years ago, and last year I had to install new medicine cabinets to handle the huge collection of vitamins, supplements, HRT's and meds required to deal with the aftermath (surgical menopause and all its associated symptoms and complications).

I really, really hope you are able to find a simple, non-invasive way of dealing with the problem. If a hysterectomy is the only possible course of action, perhaps you'll need to work on developing an ability to keep track of all the doctors' appointments and meds that could be a part of your future.

I'm not trying to be negative here, just realistic about what's involved in having such a major surgery. If you need it, you will find a way to cope. but I really hope your DRs will find another way to help.

Let us know how your appointment goes, OK?
s,
-Linda
Unread 04-15-2004, 03:15 PM
myometrial fibroids?

Hi surferbabe,
I really really hope it doesnt come down to that surgical menopause but I thought that if you kept your overies then that wouldn't happen and as far as I know I'm planning on keeping both of mine cause the guy that did the ultrasound I asked him if he seen anything interesting and he said I have pretty overies hehe I had to laugh at that one but that's all he said so I assume my overies are just fine. Also I know everyone is different but my aunt had to have all but one overy removed when she was around 25(she's 38 now) and so far hasn't had to have any medication supplements.
Like you said if I need it I'll find a way to cope, I sure hope I will.. so far I'm surprised that I've been able to take my iron pills for close to a month twice a day but I know if I dont take them I'll feel real bad. although I have missed a couple I've been doing real well so I hope you're right.

big hugs
Unread 04-16-2004, 12:52 AM
myometrial fibroids?

Hi MistyEyes,
I also have heavy periods due to fibroids. Right now I am taking birth control pills and they seem to be working so far, after rather a rough start. There are forms of contraceptive that you don't have to remember every day--patches and so on--that might be suitable for you. There are also some non-hormone medications (NSAID's) that you only take some of the time, starting a few days before your period is expected and continuing while bleeding is heavy (that would be an incentive to remember your medicine, just like feeling "blah" if you forget your iron supplement is). I haven't tried these, but have read about them in various places on the web. (You could search for mefenamic or tranexamic acid to get more info about these.)

You might also like to ask your gynecologist about "in-between" options, such as endometrial ablation, fibroid embolization, myolysis or hormone-releasing IUD's. These are treatments that may reduce bleeding. The effects may or may not be permanent, but if successful will reduce or even eliminate bleeding for a number of years. Ablation and some other treatments may not be appropriate if you want to preserve your ability to have children later on--I don't know if this is a concern for you, but with a 38-year-old aunt, I thought quite likely you are still in your "fertile years".

I hope these ideas are helpful,

cookie1956

p.s. In your first post you mention Nabothian cysts, but don't specify whether the report says you have them or no...it may just be something they looked for and didn't find

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.