HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Suprapubic Catheter Suprapubic Catheter

Unread 04-15-2004, 08:43 PM
Suprapubic Catheter

I was just wondering if anyone had any bad experiences with the removal of the suprapubic catheter. I only had mine in for three days, after my total hysterectomy, bladder and rectal repair.
The problem is when the nurse removed the catheter. I wanted to void first and she said no it wasn't necessary. She then could not remove the stitch holding the catheter in place, but went ahead and removed it anyway. Well, I felt more than the tug I was supposed to feel. There was so much pain, and burning that I told her I should have been put out first. Then I had hot urine, flowing out of the opening in my stomach. Sheets, gown etc., all had to be changed. I hate to say it, but it was my worse experience, and dread the thought if I would ever have to have it done again.
I will say, that the catheter itself was no problem, only the removal of it, since the stitch is connected to your bladder and your stomach.
Since then, I am experiencing bladder infections, two in four weeks since my surgery. This causes much pain and discomfort in my stomach. Has anyone experienced a similar situation.
Thanks
Kc
Unread 04-16-2004, 10:46 AM
Suprapubic Catheter

Geeesh I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience with the SP removal. I was SO freaked having it removed. I had had it in for 4 weeks after repair and I kept thinking of the pain removing it.

I called the doctor and I took a darvocet and a 5mg valium before I saw uro.....It wasn't painful for me. I did have to get filled up again with saline to make sure I could pee "normal" again after 4 months of being cath'd....

Yikes I've never heard about your kind of pain with the removal.

HUGS

Renee
Unread 04-16-2004, 04:35 PM
Suprapubic Catheter

I had one for one week and did feel some discomfort when mine was removed--mostly burning. I'm sorry that you had a painful time with yours.

Sheila
Unread 04-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Suprapubic Catheter

Hi Kathy, I too had a sp cath - and was very worried about having it removed. It didn't actually hurt but I definately should have been told to visit the little girls room first!!! The warm urine flowed and flowed and flowed out of the hole - I couldn't believe I held that much!! The nurse kept saying 'you'll be alright just put some more pads over the hole'! Then they sent me straight home and I was soaked by the time I got home 10 min later and proceeded to soak several outfits - I just kept thinking I'd quit leaking! Finally about an hour later, after lying down it stopped. I really think we should be warned about these things!!! So sorry it was painful for you...
Unread 04-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Suprapubic Catheter

I had a suprapubic catheter for about a week and it was removed without any problems. However, it was held in place with 4 stitches and although the scars are small, they don't do a lot for my pubic area!!!!
Unread 05-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Suprapubic Catheter

I had the same experience- I did void before I had it removed (my choice). I emptied the tube in the bathroom before the nurse removed it. The stitches pinched when she cut them- and since I had mine in for 5 weeks- she also had to cut skin tissues that were growing around the opening. When the nurse tugged to pull out the cath- it got stuck! She had me change positions- I sat up, laid down, laid on my side- all the while the nurse was pulling, and pulling! When it finally popped out- it was VERY painful- I had the urine pouring out too which REALLY burned. I took Vicodin before arriving which helped for awhile- but once the burning started, that was it!!! I did have a lot of problems with mine- so maybe that contributed here too. I also had a bladder infection while the cath was in - I just took a different antibiotic and it seemed to clear it up. I haven't had any since then. Lucky for you- only three days of life with cathy! Hope all is flowing normally now!
Unread 05-14-2004, 04:33 PM
OUCH!

I had my s-p tube out today and that so far has been the most painful part of this whole ordeal. My bladder spasmed and the incision hurt and man, it hurt.
Boo-hoo. I just should be glad it's over with, I guess!
Kathy
Unread 05-14-2004, 11:20 PM
The SP Blues

Hello!!

I had a SP for only about 3 weeks after a V V F repair. When the doc removed it the skin had started growing around the stitch. I don't remember it being a painful experience having it taken out. There was no leakage out of the hole, just a little discharge(its like an open wound). I had the most pain while it was in, right around the opening. Having both a urethral cath and a SP, I think I prefer a SP. The urethral one I had one month post-op TAH hurt like h.... I still have burning while urinating--it's never totally gone away.

Remember after having a cath taken out to lots!!

Good Luck and God Bless. I'll be praying for you!!!

-endo, fibroids
-TAH/SBO 8/7/03
-V V F repair 3/10/04
-leaking again!!! 5/04
Unread 05-15-2004, 07:54 AM
Suprapubic Catheter

I had the same problem. I had my surgery on May 11th, I had the catheter removed on the 13th before I went home. They said it would not hurt but it was horrendously painful. While it was in it was painful and I wsa told that I was "imagining" by the nurses when I told her I felt a pinch when she closed the tube. She said that wasn't possible. But I did.

It was horribly painful. more painful that the surgery repairs! I also have urine go all over and no one told me about it. I leaked until yesterday afternoon out that hole. I tried to use the bathroom as much as humanly possible but still would end up with the upper part of my pants wet. I eventually put a pad there to "catch" it. It leaked for over 24 hours. But now it is just relaly really sore. It is more sore than the surgery was. I told my Dh that if I could do it again, I would NOT have the bladder repair at all. It was horrendous.

I am only a few days post op and only 2 days after having it removed. I can urinate okay, but it's where I have to totally relax, lean back and let it come when it comes. I'm told that's normal and will improve. But my goodness, I hope that it does get better.

I'm sorry that you had problems with yours as well. I know for me I'll avoid that at all costs again or demand to be put out before they remove it - and I was still on morphine when they removed it! So I had pain medicine in me. Ugh.

But I'm sorry you went through that.
Unread 05-15-2004, 04:11 PM
Cool - Suprapubic Catheter Suprapubic Catheter

After reading all these posts .. I just think the nurses/doctors need to be upfront with us and tell us there might be some discomfort .. and maybe recommending taking a pain pill 1/2 before going in. (As long as you're not driving!)
I used to WORK in this same Urology office (I was a medical transcriptionist there) and next time I go in, I'm going to mention that.
I agree .. I'm sure a S-P tube is better than a urethral one, but still .. just thinking about that thing being pulled out still makes me shiver. Ew.
xxxooo
Kathy

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.