HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How to insert pessary??? How to insert pessary???

Unread 04-22-2004, 01:00 AM
How to insert pessary???

I feel kind of dumb, the dr's shown me twice how to insert the pessary. I pinch it, but does the rounded rim go toward me or away from me? I have a hard time holding it shut and getting it inserted far enough in. It ends up so that I can always put my finger in and feel the rim just on the verge of coming out. What am I doing wrong?

Help = this is all very new to me. I've learned a lot from this site, so I'm hopeful someone else can give me some pointers.

Thanks ahead of time!
Unread 04-22-2004, 09:04 AM
How to insert pessary???

Please don't feel dumb.

This is an important question that your doctor should be glad to answer for you. Perhaps call his nurse and ask her, if you don't feel like talking to him about it.

I have read that a new skill normally takes at least 9 repetitions in order for us to get the hang of it. So, the fact that he's shown you twice, is not any big deal.

Please make that call.

In the meantime, here's a
Unread 04-22-2004, 05:03 PM
How to insert pessary???

I use a pessary daily (I take it out at night). Mine is shaped like a donut. I put a little lubricant just on the part I am inserting and then I lie down & put my legs up (sorry so graphic) & insert it sort of downward. Sometimes I do have trouble keeping it folded but I just pushing it in, even if its uncomfortable for a few minutes. I then give it a 1/4 turn so that it doesn't fold in on it self while its in there & want to come out. Sometimes I have to turn it back that way during the day if I feel it because it does seem to move around a little. There may be a nurse or a nurse practioner (SP?) in your doctor's office who could help you as well. Good Luck & keep trying!
Unread 04-22-2004, 11:12 PM
How to insert pessary???

I'll keep trying and see if I get any better with it. I know it's important to keep trying. Thanks, sisters!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.