HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

good thing or bad thing? good thing or bad thing?

Unread 04-28-2004, 11:44 PM
good thing or bad thing?

This has probably been asked before, but I am very curious and trying to get as much information as possible so I can make informed decisions so I need to know.

Are you glad you had the hysterectomy? Has it been a good thing or a bad thing for you? Do you feel your life has improved or not? Would you do it again?

Thanks to anyone who able to respond.
Unread 04-28-2004, 11:48 PM
good thing or bad thing?

Even with all of the pain I have had and am having right now...its a different pain than what I had for so many years. I would do it again.
Unread 04-29-2004, 12:41 AM
good thing or bad thing?

I'm not "glad"... just resigned to it. I wish it had not been necessary but it was. My life has definitely not improved. It's true I don't miss the periods, but those were waning anyway... and instead I've had several other major surgeries since the hyst... like a domino effect.

Would I do it again? Yes, given that I didn't really have a choice. But I'd give anything not to have had to do it this time.
s,
-Linda
Unread 04-29-2004, 03:49 AM
good thing or bad thing?

Well thats a good question, i think about that often,since I am 7 weeks post op and in those 7 weeks, I have had 15 visits to either the doctor,ER or for tests. First nite home from the hospital I a woke to my bed being full of blood and it was gushing out my wound, had to be taken 911 to hospital where i ended up having a wound that had to be packed 4 inches long and 4 inches deep,also so many antibiotics i just would throw up towards the end, wound checks weekly, it took 3 weeks to figure out which hrt worked for me and in that time it was hormone hell...that has resolved,climara patch lowest dose,i feel great. Then another infection-this time had to get shots in my butt for 3 days that hurt like hell...and now for the last 2 weeks trying to figure out why i can only be on my feet for 3 hours a day without my belly swelling to the point i cant breath. Everything backs up..I have had a cat scan,ivp,tons of abdomial xrays,today a colonoscopy..and then i notice this extremly odd open area on my belly not on my incision that looks like a burn and its red around it,im assuming that it is another infection. I have back cramps and pains still..back to the doctor in the morning..I will probly have to go back to surgery for an exploratory lap next week...I have been stuck so many times in the last week that they are unable to even find veins on me...Today 4 different sticks before able to get access..I know there are always the chance of complications and i dont mind dealing with them but what frustrates me is the post op care from my doctors and the fighting with them..Yes would i go through it again, yes but only with a doctor that really takes the time to figure out the complications..My life before was bleeding for 3 weeks out of the month and the pain was untouched by pills. If i was to do over again, i would have lost the 40 extra pounds i had on first, i would have paid extra for a tummy tuck because i have found out that with hormonal therapy im doomed with this belly and weight loss is going to be hard work after i get better,and i definately would have found a set of doctors outside of hmo..also i would have quit smoking..Its 230am and i cant sleep even with sleeping pills because im worried about what is going to happen with my doctor appointment in the am...and im on hystersisters again venting..I know one thing this site is the only thing that has gotten me through the last 7 weeks. and with all this going on I still feel it was a good decision. If i didnt have the surgery i would probly be up with miserable cramping at this hour...There are tons of women out there that have had this surgery without complications, i just happen to be not one of them..One thing that having this surgery has done with the complications is i have realized i need to take care of myself, i eat better,i try to exercise and when i get better there will be no excuses,and am going to classes to get rid of these **** cigarettes. so in a way i guess i needed to have complications to open up my eyes to see that i need to slow down and take care of myself and if i wouldnt have had this surgery and figured all this out, i would be on a web site for surviors of a heart attack..I have such a different outlook on my health and me miss worry wart and thought that stress was my drug of choice( i use to be an ICU nurse), well i realize now what stress does to a body and not until i had this surgery did i realize its all about me now, i want to take care of me now. So hopefully all is figured out and i can start that soon...Good luck with your decision...just make sure your doctor is willing to listen to you afterwards because that is the worst part of all the complications is dealing with doctors that really dont care what happens afterwards,thats is my biggest problem with all these complications..

Hope i didnt scare you...like i said i would still do it but would have did the things i listed before...
Unread 04-29-2004, 03:51 AM
good thing or bad thing?

I'm glad to have it done with....My doctors have been telling me I need a hysterectomy since I was 22. I am 45 now... I kept saying I really want to have a family, I can hande this.....Well 23 years later and 1 miracle child, I felt I was ready....I think its a personal choice and depends on how much and how long you have suffered with your problems....I am ready to face the first summer in forevery wearing white..I think I'll wear it everyday!!!!!!Make an informed decision and read all you can.........Do the best thing for you....Good Luck.!!! Cindybean.....
Unread 04-29-2004, 05:11 AM
good thing or bad thing?

I am very happy I had the surgery. I guess I am one of the lucky ones, I have had minimal problems. Yes, I would do it again.
It was definatley a good thing for me. My life is definatley better.
Best wishes to you!
Unread 04-29-2004, 07:13 AM
Glad

I waited till the very last moment to have my TAH, but it all went well and i'm glad i had it done now.
My fibriod was causing Big problems, but when i could no longer urinate because it was blocking my bladder i was sent off to the Castle. I'm so relieved it's all over with, still have a bit of swelly belly and just now getting my energy back. The first several weeks of recovery where kind of rough, but i made it through with no complications and everything seems to be healing up just fine. Plus all the problems i had before are gone, and thats such a relief! Actually I should have done it sooner, if any of my x doctors had found it... I went to a new gyn last Nov and she surprised me by saying, "Do you know you have a rather large fibriod?", I guess she could tell by the look on my face that i didn't and that sure explained all the problems i was having for years.
But i feel Much better now

All my best to you
Unread 04-29-2004, 07:15 AM
good thing or bad thing?

Hi,

Women who are going for this surgery need to be aware of the bad, along with the good. While the majority of the ladies may have a good experience, bad things do happen and the truth shouldn't be sugar coated. Anyone contemplating this surgery needs to be aware of the complications which can occur, and be sure that they have made an informed decision to have a hysterectomy.

Munoz124, I'm am so sorry you have having so many problems. My goes out to you. I will be keeping you in my prayers. I hope things start turning around for you soon and that you'll have a full recovery.

As for whether or not I'm glad I had this surgery, like Surferbabe, I'm not exactly glad, that wouldn't be the right word to describe it. This surgery was necessary. If I'd have had the choice to lead a normal life without it, I would have, but that wasn't possible. So I AM glad that the problems I was having are gone. I had a textbook surgery and recovery, no complications at all. Life is good now. So my experience would definitely be a positive one.

s,

Lisa
Unread 04-29-2004, 07:24 AM
good thing or bad thing?

My surgery was 4-5-04 and I am glad I had it. I am also looking forward to wearing white ! I have had no complications and If your basically a healthy person I would not worry about that too much. Lets put it this way-- Im looking forward to my life not centering around my cycle and all of its before , during , after and in between stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I might add that Im 44 and was started on the lowest dose of Climara 0.05 and have not had one hot flash. I feel like I havent skipped a beat hormonal wise. Goodluck and think POSITIVE !
Your state of mind is IMPORTANT !

TAH/BSO Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, functional ovarian cysts, 2 fluid filled cysts larger than grapefruits.
Unread 04-29-2004, 07:30 AM
good thing or bad thing?

I am sorry I had to go through it - poor women, huh? I wished there was a pill I could swallow that would make my uterus shrivel up and fall out, but nooooooo! In terms of the outcome, though, I am so happy to be free of spending half my life bleeding, and the other half worrying about it.

Like Munoz124, I had to deal with an open incision for a bit (hematoma...no infection), but now it's just a memory. I haven't suffered any other complications.

I am 40, had an SAH, and kept my ovaries, and I would do it again.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.