HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Fibroids cause leg or low back pain? Fibroids cause leg or low back pain?

Unread 05-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Fibroids cause leg or low back pain?

Anyone having pain in their legs or lower back? I have right side low back pain and right leg pain, which also happens to be the side of my uterus where the biggest fibroid has taken up residence. The pain is mostly a dull ache or feeling of pressure, although if I sit for a long time, my right leg seems to go numb. I find myself keeping my right hip elevated when I sit to try to relieve the feeling of pressure on that side. I'm constantly flipping over in bed trying to ease the ache.

At this point I am cautiously looking forward to my TAH (keeping ovaries) on June 17. I just wanna feel good again.
Unread 05-09-2004, 12:03 AM

Yes, I get the lower back pain.
Mine also feels like pressure and a dull ache. It comes and goes with me. It does bother me when I have been sitting and sometimes I will even feel it in the middle of the night. I also get a presssure feeling and dull ache where my uterous is. I have the leg pain too. That pain usually bothers me when my periods start.
I'm assuming they are related to my fibroids. I wasn't sure before but I have read lots of other posts that refer to the lower back pain and pressure related to fibroids and it sounds like what we have.
Once it is all gone I know I won't miss it.
I hope I've helped.
Unread 05-09-2004, 12:55 AM

Hi,
I had problems with lower back pain for years. Didn't know about my fibroids. The back pain is so much better now. Before the surgery my back would ache no matter what I did - rest, work, didn't make any difference. I hope you find that the back pain improves after surgery. Mine did. Feel so much better!
Unread 05-09-2004, 06:02 AM

Hi!
Yup, I also have back pain, at its worst during my period but there almost all the time. It's recently started working its way down my right leg - maybe as my fibroids get bigger? I find a warm shower helps relieve it.
What with the pressure on the bladder and bowels, the cramps, et al, I'll be SO glad when my op. date rolls round!
Unread 05-09-2004, 06:50 AM

I had pain in my feet for months befoe i had my hysterectomy . It got so bad I would hobble whenI got out of bed . Initially I thought it was my shoes ... then I realised even asI was waking up from GA after my hysterectomy , that the pain in my feet was gone .

My GP suspects that it may have freed some trapped nerve because they also cut away some adhesions

mei
Unread 05-09-2004, 06:51 AM

That was one of the first things I noticed. I was mad at myself for not going to the Chiropractor before surgery. There was so much to do before going that I just couldn't fit in going. About 24 hours after surgery I realized my back didn't hurt. I knew I had fibroids, but once the camera was in my Dr realized there was a whole lot more then he had thought prior to sugery. The other thing that I notice was, and this is gross, but B/M are regularly for the first time in YEARS.

Good Luck.
Unread 05-09-2004, 09:30 AM

As you've probably read in my ramblings, I do have constant low back pain which sometimes runs down one leg.

I do not have fibroids, but I do have endo, adeno and tons of adhesions. When I asked Prince Charming about the back pain, he said it is because the adhesions are likely wrapped around some nerves. The same could be true of fibroids...if they are pressing on a nerve bundle, then that would likely be the cause of pain.

Here's wishing us all pain free days once we recover from our hysts!

Tam
Unread 05-09-2004, 10:44 AM

Oh my goodness YES!!! I was in absolutely brutal low back and leg pain for a long time preop, but because I already had some neuropathy and sciatica things going on (long term), I didn't even think to connect it to my "female problems." (Of course, it didn't dawn on me that I had "female problems" even when I started expanding in the belly like a fast-forward pregnancy; I just thought I was getting fatter and fatter, and I am already morbidly obese.)

Certain pain things were gone literally from the moment I awoke after the surgery, and they have stayed gone through these first three weeks, despite having to spend so much time sitting and lying down, which usually exacerbated the pain a lot.

Here's hoping you enjoy immense relief once you're on the other side
Unread 05-09-2004, 10:48 AM
thanks

Wow, I appreciate all the support. Until I read other postings on this site, I never put it together that the fibroids could be causing my back and leg pain. My husband noticed that the veins in my right leg seem to be popping out..something that wasn't happening a few months ago, so I attribute that to the pressure from the fibroid too.

The fibroid has grown quite quickly. No sign of it at all during my last regular GYN appointment in September. During the winter, my periods got heavier and heavier (flooding). In March, I started bleeding/flooding between periods. Now it's a rare day when I'm not bleeding. I'll just be glad to have it over with soon.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.