HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

a scary new mass a scary new mass

Unread 05-09-2004, 05:57 PM
a scary new mass

Hi everyone, I'm writing because I don't know what is going on and I'm unhappy. I went to my Gyn. for a well woman check, now 1 1/2 years post op, and he found a mass at the left side of my vaginal cuff, hard and rounded. At the time I was a little constipated (from trying to take Welbutrin, which I have now concluded is not for me) and I thought he was feeling full bowels. I drank a whole bottle of prune juice and got cleared out, and the mass is still there. I decided to check for myself and have been worried ever since. I've read through a lot of posts and scar tissue does seem likely, which is what my DR said at the time. He didn't say it is definate, he said to start the testing to see. I've been almost beside myself worrying that it is a tumor. I had the hyst. to prevent this type of worry. I had a prolapsed fibroid which ended up with a lab report of, "some cells with accerated growth, unknown malignant potential". So I didn't have cancer but I decided to have the hyst. to keep it from happening. and now this. I'll talk to my DR tomorrow and begin the tests but it is agony to wonder if I'm in trouble or just carrying around a lump of scar tissue.
Could some of you all who have had something similar tell me what it turned out to be? Additionally, I don't have endo. so those posts aren't really relevant to me. I did read here that scar tissue is very common so I am trying to calm mysself with that. Thanks for any help, Barbara
Unread 05-09-2004, 07:20 PM
a scary new mass

Hi Barbara,

I have not had this experience, but I wanted to stop by and send s. I know you must be worried. I went ahead and had everything out when I had my problems. My mom had ovarian cancer so I thought the same thing , to just take it all out and not leave it to chance.

Try not to fret over it until you know what it is for sure(easier said than done). It very well may be scar tissue or non malignant growth there.

I will that it is nothing serious.

I hope you don't have to wait long to know what it is. I think waiting is hard.

We are here for you.

s
Unread 05-10-2004, 05:10 AM
a scary new mass

Hi again, Thanks for the encouragement. I had a chance to talk to my sister, who is a physicians' assistant (PA) in an ER. She was very knowledgable and could give me some good information. I feel calmer because from what she said, this mass seems likely to be scar tissue, not a malignancy. Thanks again. I'll be going off to labs and DR's today to start tests and discuss more. Barbara
Unread 05-10-2004, 01:39 PM
a scary new mass

Hi again, I'm feeling better after a conversation with my Dr. He said that the scar tissue or adhesion is the most likely and that he is only doing tests to make sure. I had the ca125 this morning and will do the ct scan tomorrow. Thanks for the suport. Barbara
Unread 05-10-2004, 05:16 PM
a scary new mass

((((Barbara))))) I'm so sorry you're dealing with this, so long after your surgery I can only imagine what you're going through, but wanted to drop by and give you a .

As you've read, there are many of our members, too many, who are dealing with the Adhesion Monster. Adhesions, also known as scar tissue, can form after a surgery. In some cases, they cause pain, in others, they do not.

Here's a link to our Resources Directory on Adhesions: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...n=browse&cid=5 Hopefully you'll be able to find some information that will help reassure you even further
Unread 05-10-2004, 07:56 PM
a scary new mass

Hi again and again! Thank you for the support. This evening I am feeling fortunate to have a good Dr. who responds and helps me quickly. He got the test arranged for tomorrow when I could have just as well gone Wed. He talked to me without an appointment even though I would have been okay with a phone call after I talked to his nurse.
I never expected to have these issues come up this long after but I am also fortunate that if it is an adhesion I am not having the pain the other ladies have. The most I can say is that once in a while the area may twinge a little but not more than a gas rumble through the guts at any point.
Best wishes to everyone, Barbara
Unread 05-19-2004, 08:53 PM
update on pelvic mass

Hi everyone, I'm scheduled for surgery tomorrow after a CT scan showed the mass is pressing on my left ureter, causing my kidney stress. Since the CT scan can't define a mass, we are still hoping for scar tissue related problems as opposed to a tumor. My ca125 was okay. Wish me luck and keep me in your prayers. Barbara
Unread 05-19-2004, 11:29 PM
a scary new mass

I sure hope for your sake that this turns out to be nothing more than scar tissue, granulation, or the like. Remember your rules for recovery!

Best of luck to you -- you'll be in my thoughts and prayers for good results and an easy recovery!

Audrey
Unread 05-21-2004, 08:30 PM
a scary new mass

I had bleeding 5 years after a total hysterectomy and they also found a nodule or mass on the vaginal cuff. It was a recurrence of endometriosis.
gg
Unread 05-22-2004, 08:01 PM
a scary new mass

(((Barbara)))) Just wanted to say that I hoped that all went fine with your surgery. ers are going your way... and we're anxiously waiting for an update... when you're up to it, of course.

Remember your training: lots of rest, plenty of water and walk for recovery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway