HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hyster Sisters Posts from the Heart > Aching Hearts

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Hysterectomy Ruined My Sex Life Hysterectomy Ruined My Sex Life

Unread 05-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Hysterectomy Ruined My Sex Life

Before my surgery last July, I had watched 20/20 where many women claimed that hysterectomy's ruined their sex life with their husband. I kept telling myself they just showed the worse case scenarios. Well, I was wrong. My relationship with my husband just hasn't been the same since my operation. I no longer have the desire, lubrication or enjoyment any more. I use to love the intimate relationship we had. This is now gone.
Unread 05-11-2004, 11:11 AM

Are you on HRT? That might help. As for vaginal dryness, they have an estrogen pill that you insert every few days, keeps it moist I am told.
Unread 05-11-2004, 11:29 AM
ruined

Ask your Dr. for testosterone, it is an amazing hormone. It gives your desire & energy back. I feel like a new person since I started it.
Good luck.
Unread 05-11-2004, 12:25 PM

Barbieb,

I'm sorry you're having problems with this very important aspect of your life.

Are you on any kind of HRT? I've had several different prescriptions for HRT and even still my sex life went from normal to nothing. I lost all desire, all response, lubrication - everything! Poor DH thought he was doing something wrong but I knew it wasn't him - it was definitely me. It took some tinkering with my hormones but the results for me were well worth the effort it took. I'm now using multiple hormones for my HRT - estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. Even with all of that I still had vaginal dryness and for that I have a vaginally inserted cream which has worked wonders. I'm back better than pre-surgery and am very happy with the results I've gotten from my HRT. So is DH!

Have you already discused this with your doctor? If you have and your doctor isn't helping you, try another doctor. If you're interested in trying compounded HRT (which is what I'm using) you can try this link to find a compounding pharmacist in your area: http://www.iacprx.org Compounding pharmacists can tell you which doctors prescribe through them and you could find a doctor that way.

I hope you haven't given up on trying to find help. There is hope!

Sending lots of s
Unread 05-11-2004, 01:24 PM
that hasn't changed with me, but....cmsg

I hear there are alot of hormonal treatments that can help with bringing back the desire and fun that goes with sex life. Please ask your doctor about those, and see if he can give you something for that. All I am currently have trouble with is depression from never having had children, and now not able to because of the surgery.
Unread 05-11-2004, 02:34 PM

Already talked to the doctor about HRT, and I can't take that. Will ask about testosterone.

Thank You
Unread 05-13-2004, 08:15 AM

I am right there with you!!!!!!!

My sex life is little or none.

My husband doesnt really understand and it causes fights sometimes... I feel so sad sometimes, because even when I try to explain to him that it isnt him, he still feels rejected. I worry sometimes thinking that if I cannot please him what will he do??? I also need advice on this subject... I will be talking to my doctor when I go in June. I hope that maybe I can use the testosterone everyone says is so great!!!! As of right now I have no urge to, and bad dryness. I take progesterone but cannot take estrogen. I totally know and understand what you are going through.
Unread 05-13-2004, 12:32 PM

bubblesnsmiles,
If you find anything out .... please email me. I am in exactly the same situation you are in.
barbieb
Unread 05-13-2004, 05:29 PM

I sure will.. My appt is next month.. and I plan to talk talk talk to him about it all!!!!! I will let you know what all he says.. Wish it wasnt this way, but glad to know I am not losing my mind and others are going through it.. Alot of people have an increase in sex drive after hysterectomy.. I thought I was just insane .... LOL

But I will give you a message after I talk to him.. OK.. Keep your chin up.. I will do the same.. WHy cant some men understand!!!!!!!!
Unread 05-13-2004, 08:36 PM

Barbieb---You said you couldn't take HRT but what about vaginal estrogen. It only stays in your vagina and does not enter the body. I was on estrace cream but i didn't like it because it is messy. My gyn just gave me a script for vagifem. i haven't gotten it filled yet but i hope it is not messy. I understan about the changing sex drive. it is frustrating and upsetting for both. i have no drive either.mine was fin until about 3 months ago and all of a sudden it was gone. men do not understand, they always think it is them but it isn't. I hope you can get some answers soon and get you drive back.good luck.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.