HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Ovaries removed still bleeding Ovaries removed still bleeding

Unread 05-12-2004, 08:08 AM
Ovaries removed still bleeding

Hi

I had my ovaries and tubes removed last July and started to take HRT (Tibalone) In December of last year I started to bleed and have been on a monthly basis. I have seen my consultant and have had urine test which are normal but blood tests are showing normal levels of oestrogen even though I have no ovaries. Has anybody lese come across this ?

I have resigned myself to the fact that I will have to have a hysterectomy but it is all so confusing.
Unread 05-12-2004, 08:45 AM
ovaries removed

Did you have your uterus and cervex removed also? Why just the overies. If the uterus and cervex was removed you should not be having bleeding? I would go for a second opinion on the bleeding situation if i were you. Just to be safe
Let us know how you do.
Tango
Unread 05-12-2004, 10:19 AM

If you still have your uterus and/or you can still have bleeding. Give your doctor a call and have a complete exam - other conditions can cause bleeding - you need to discuss your options with your doctor.

Unread 05-14-2004, 02:44 AM

Thank you for your replies.

I only had my ovaries and tubes removed because of hormonal problems (depression being one thing). He is sure that the ovaries were completely taken away. Apparently my consultant has never come across this before, ie having normal levels of oestragen even though the ovaries have been removed.

He thought that the urine test would have shown high levels due the the adrenal glands that sit on top of your kidneys, but that was not the case. So two blood tests later the levels are still showing as normal. My consultant is also doing some reserach to find out if this has happened to any body else, also he is talking to the guy that analysed my blood test to see if he can shed any light on the matter.

Its all a bit scary as I keep thinking what are the consequences of having all this oestragen in my system.
Unread 05-14-2004, 10:19 AM

Hello Nicola.

I had exactly the same operation as you did and I am still bleeding also! My first HRT was also Tibolone and although this stopped any hot flushes for about 8 months I had to change after then. After trying another 3 HRT's I finally convinced my doctor to let me try a patch, so I did and it works very well for me, I don't have any hot flushes and my emotions are normal. The only downside is that I have been bleeding almost continuously since I started it (over 30 days ago), now whilst I think normally this would alarm me, as I am so used to bleeding each month and having very heavy periods, I suffer from endometriosis when I weighed up whether to change the HRT and stop the bleeding but then possibly getting hot flushes and emotional problems again I chose to stay on the HRT.

Sorry I am whaffling on but I just wanted you to know that I am thinking of having a hysterectomy to finally put an end to my bleeding - I can't think of another option for me.

Ironically one of the main reasons for having my oopherectomy was to stop my bleeding, alongwith stopping any risk of ovarian cancer as there is a high risk in my family.

Best of luck, I know its tough.
Sarah (UK)
Unread 05-14-2004, 11:38 AM

Hi Sarah

At last somebody in the same boat. Did you also have blood tests that showed normal levels of oestragen ?

I too had the operation to stop bleeding, endometriosis was also a factor, and obviously the emotional side was a major area that had to be dealt with. As I think I have said I am waiting for my consultant to get back to me as he was due to speak to the guy that analysed my blood test. I just cant think where else the oestragen could be coming from. If it was just the bleeding my consultant would be performing a procedure that "microwaves" the lining of the womb to stop the bleeding its call Microwavew Endometrial Ablation (MEA) (maybe that would be an option for you, let me know and I can let you have some more details about the procedure) but his main concern is why I am having normal levels of oestragen when I have no ovaries to produce it and I have been off HRT since January. If he finds this out he may well go ahead with the "microwave" procedure.

Thank you for contacting to me, it really is appreciated. I will let you know if I hear anything else.

Thanks again
Unread 05-15-2004, 02:32 PM
Microwavew Endometrial Ablation (MEA)

Hi Nicola

I know what you mean, isn't it a relief to find others that have the similar experiences as yourself. You are the first person I have found with the same experiences, I had my operation in Oct 2002 and previously I have suffered from clinical depression - I have never thought that it may have been linked to my hormone levels though so that is interesting.

I am very interested in Microwave Endometrial Ablation (MEA), if you have some information I would be pleased if you could send it to me.

My doctor has never done any blood tests on me and I have never asked, I didn't know that I should or could or what they would tell me, they didn't seem to be overly concerned that I was bleeding each month, and even with my continuous bleeding now they don't seem to be overly concerned. I had a hysteroscopy recently and fainted during this procedure (probably through bleeding so much) and still they were not overly concerned I was told to come back in 3 months and if I was still bleeding that they would try the mirena coil and a patch - but its so debilitating I feel exhausted and plus I am going on holiday soon and who wants their period on holiday!

I am no hormone expert but it does seem strange where your estrogen is coming from doesn't it. I hope you get some positive news from your blood test analysis. If the MEA would work then I would definately opt for that rather than a hsyterectomy.

Thanks for replying and thanks for the offer of more information.
Best wishes Sarah (UK)
Unread 05-16-2004, 07:27 AM

I'm not an expert by any means, but it seems to me that since you are on HRT after the removal of your ovaries, the monthly bleeding would be expected. ???
Unread 05-16-2004, 08:09 AM

If any part of the ovary is left, it can still function. I have heard that especially in cases of endo, it might be difficult to see if they have gotten all of the ovary (as frequently, they are fused to something else) - even a small piece can keep functioning.

I don't know how to tell if this is the case . . .
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:02 AM

Hi Sarah

Notes re MEA
MEA is a proven treatment for heavy periods which can only be performed by a Gynaecologist. It is a minimal access surgical treatment which involves treating the endometrium. Fibroids or polyps may be the cause of, or add to, your heavy bleeding. MEA can be used in many cases where fibroids or polyps are present without the need for them to be treated separately. MEA is not a treatment for uterine cancer or endometriosis.

MEA uses high frequenty microwave energy to cause rapid but shallow heating of the endometrium (the innder lining of the womb). The heating destroys the endometrium. Many patients have already been treated and clinical trials have reported a satisfactory outcome for nearly 90% of patients with menstrual bleeding stopping completely or being significantly reduced. About 70% of patients treated with MEA also find that period paid disappears completely or is far less intense than before treatment.

The type of microwaves have been specially selected so that the depth of tissue destruction cannot exceed 6mm. The microwaves are delievered by means of an applicator that is gently inserted into the uterus via the cervix. When the applicator is inside the uterus, the microwaves are applied while the applicator is slowly withdrawn with a sweeping movement to ensure that all of the endometrium is treated. A link to a control unit enables the Gynaecologist to monitor and control the tratment temparature. The microwave treatment takes about 3 minutes to complete and can be carried out under general or local anaesthetic.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.