HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Vaginal canal  question Vaginal canal question

Unread 11-14-2000, 06:26 AM
Vaginal canal question

I had a TAVH/BSO 6 weeks ago today. I just got the okay from my Dr. to have sex. Several sisters suggested that it was a good idea to "go exploring" before the big event so I did. My findings are a bit disturbing but perhaps normal. That is the reason for my question. Right inside the vagina it feels like there is some kind of a bulge, very soft tissue. It is on the upper side of the vagina and feels as if something is pressing down on the vaginal canal. I have been uncomfortable sitting at my desk at work so perhaps this is why. The discomfort however has been better yesterday & today. Since my cervix was removed with the surgery, is this the reason for the feeling of the innerds being further down in the vaginal canal or is this something to address with my Dr. Thanks for all your help. This has been a wonderful forum to get answers to questions.
Unread 11-14-2000, 12:21 PM
Vaginal canal question

HI Norma,
I just went to the doctor today because I felt something very similar and when I looked in the mirror, I saw white tissue right inside the vagina. I was so afraid last night. The doctor told me that it was normal and it was my hymenic circle. I KNOW for a fact that it didn't look or feel this way prior to the hyst and I thought something was falling down as well. She suggested somewhat that it might be swollen and if it doesn't get better to return for a check (she was the doctor on call.) I was relieved that it wasn't my bladder or something but IT IS very uncomfortable and I certainly am not having sex like this.
Did you have Abdominal surgery or did they remove you uterus through the vaginal canal? Just wondering. Anyway, please keep me posted on this. Email me if you want: daswitch@aol.com.
I know for myself I am not going to accept this. There was NO way I wanted to go back into the hospital today, but I refuse to live with the feeling that a tampon is falling out of my vagina for the rest of my life.
I know some women got stiched to keep the vaginal canal in place. I don't think I did.
I would go to your doctor.
After 6 weeks, I would think you should not have swelling or that feeling down there.
My mom, who was a nurse, told me that unless you really complain, some doctors will minimize discomfort. It doesn't look good for their clinics or surgical skills to have to 'go back in' a few weeks later.
But our vaginal canals should be normal (except a little shorter) after this surgery and they shouldn't feel like they are prolapsing.
I can't stand this feeling. It also makes me have to pee more frequently which I was used to prior to the hyst but which the hyst was supposed to fix.
Unread 11-14-2000, 03:05 PM
vaginal canal

I also had my uterus removed over 1 1/2 years ago I remember slight pressure but not alot. I would go to your doctor and ask him to do an exam and see where your bladder is. One year (about) after my part hyst My bladder had completly fallen and was laying on my canal. I had to have a bladder lift witch is (i found out latter) quite common after a hyst.It was not the most pleasent event in my life by far but now I do not have that need to go to the bathroom ALL THE TIME. I can acctualy empty my bladder completly now and do not feel the prusser durring intercourse. If your doctor seems unsure ask for a referal to a urologist. He would know for sure. Hope I have helped. You can e-mail me if you want.charlottecourson@aol.com
Unread 11-14-2000, 07:50 PM
Vaginal canal question

Charc & daswitch

Thank you both for your answers. Charc, the sensation of having a tampon in place is a good way to express what this feels like. My surgery was done laprascopically with the uterus being taken out thru the vagina. My bottom gets more uncomfortable to sit as the day progresses. I did call my Dr. this afternoon. Of course today was his day off. His nurse said she has never heard of such a thing but that she would relay the message. I really don't think that she knew how to handle the question much less give me an answer.

Daswitch: What is a blatter lift and how long does the healing process take. I'd hate to have surgery again so soon but this is uncomfortable. So urologists do internal exams too? I'm quite naive at this stuff.
Thank you for all your help with this "problem".
Unread 11-14-2000, 09:19 PM
Vaginal canal question

Hello Ladies,
I am almost 4 months post-op and just happened by reading your post and I too had that feeling! Even posted here about it! Was very uncomfortable sitting, and then one day it was GONE! All better! Never really knew what caused it, but did talk to nurse about it and she said it was a fairly normal reaction at that stage of recovery. I had a lot of anxiety about it too. If you are concerned I would call doc. It never hurts to be sure!

Hope this helps! Mine did go away. I feel fine there now and sex is great! Prayers for speedy recovery for all, Deb tah/bso 7/17/00
Unread 11-14-2000, 11:44 PM
Vaginal canal question

Hi Norma,

This is just a thought...6 weeks is not too far in recovery to have swelling from prolonged sitting at your desk. The feeling you have just might be the result of internal swelling, as prolonged sitting puts pressure on the tender healing areas, and can cause swelling and fatigue. Everyone heals differently. You have countless internal stitches inside you in areas that will continue to heal for some time now. Total healing takes at least 6 months. How long have you been back at work sitting at a desk, and how long is your work day?

It never hurts to call your Dr. if you are truly bothered by it!

My very best to you...

Linda
Unread 11-15-2000, 05:21 AM
Vaginal canal question

I went back to work 2 1/2 weeks after surgery. I started back 2 hours a day the first week, 3 1/2 hrs the second and am back to regular hours now. My regular hours are 5 1/2 to 6 hours a day. I am the office manager for our family business so I felt the need to go back early, but I also tried not to over do it. Maybe I am just sitting too long and not getting the needed rest. When I get home I do become a couch potato for several hours & then become one again after dinner. Do you think I am just over doing it? If it weren't for the pressure & soreness in my bottom I'd be feeling great........of course I am still very tired by night but I know that is normal. It's the not so normal feeling in my bottom that bothers me. Thanks for all the replies. This is still the best web site on the internet.
Unread 11-15-2000, 07:26 AM
Vaginal canal question

Hi Norma,

Hmmmmm.....even though you eased back into work, you did return very early. Many women are told by their Drs. to delay working for at least 6 weeks. What you really need to promote healing and reduce swelling those first 6 weeks is lots of rest with your feet UP. Lots of sitting is actually an "activity" and puts pressure on your healing areas as I've said before.

It doesn't seem like lots of sitting could be "overdoing it" but, actually, it can! You may have hit the nail on the head when you said "Maybe I am just sitting too long and not getting the needed rest."

We sisters have to listen to our bodies while recovering. This is your only chance to heal properly from major surgery. Please try to rest with feet UP at every opportunity, and you might be able to get the swelling and pressure under control.

My very best to you...

Linda
Unread 11-15-2000, 08:03 AM
Vaginal canal question

A bladder lift it when they take a tendon and attech it to the pelvic bone and place you bladder in it..like a sling.
It is not as bad as that sounded

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.