HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

how long till fully recovered???? how long till fully recovered????

Unread 05-15-2004, 09:25 AM
how long till fully recovered????

I had a TAH with both ovaries removed on 4/19/04 and the doctor said I will be out 6 weeks before I can have sex or go back to work but how long really till your body recovers fully???
Unread 05-15-2004, 10:09 AM
How Long???

It took me a LOT longer to even say I MIGHT be SOMEWHAT happy I had the hysterectomy. My only complaint was uterine prolapse (cervix definitely visible even when wearing pants). However the surgery took so much out of me I really couldn't say I was happy looking like a girl again. I'm 5 months post op and no longer under any gyn's restrictions TODAY. No longer anemic. Hair, skin, and nails back to normal. Night sweats fading. Joint pain subsiding. Severe depression. Even had some serious tooth decay -- my first root canal ever.

However "results may vary" and many women feel much better almost immediately. I hope you don't take as long to feel up to par.
Unread 05-15-2004, 10:37 AM

Hi,

Though the initial recovery from a TAH is 6 to 8 weeks, it can actually take 6 months to a year for full recovery.

I had a TAH almost two years ago at the age of 39 and had a textbook surgery and recovery. I felt much better at 8 weeks than I did at 6 weeks, but had vague aches and pains and swelling for almost a full year afterwards. (Click the link to my recovery journal in my signature for a more detailed description of my recovery.)

Be sure to get plenty of rest, and don't overdo too soon, as that can extend the length of recovery time. You only get one chance to heal right and this is it.

s,

Lisa
Unread 05-17-2004, 07:29 AM

I am 7 days post-op. I had a TAVH/BSO. My doctor told me that even at 6 weeks post-op the vaginia is only 70% healed. I hope that helps.
Unread 05-17-2004, 09:14 PM

This is major surgery; it will take months to a year to be back to your old strength. Each person is different; you must take care not to "over do" things as that is the temptation when you start to feel better. Get plenty of rest; the body has a lot of healing to do.
Unread 05-18-2004, 12:36 PM

My doctor told me that I would be 90% healed after about 6-8 weeks, but the last 10% would take 6-12 months. 10% doesn't sound like much, but he said it was the area of the body most affected by the surgery that was in that small percentage range. I also had a textbook surgery and recovery (I'm now 9 months post-op), but like Shashi said -- I still get occassional twinges here and there, and if I really over-do it, I'll get a small swelly-belly.

Overall -- I feel wonderful! If I could have looked into a crystal ball to see how much better I'd feel after this surgery, I would have done it 3 years ago! You definately have to take it easy for the first 6-8 weeks (or longer depending on your recovery and what your doctor says), and then just listen to your body throughout the rest of the healing process.

Take care,

Linda
Unread 05-18-2004, 03:30 PM

I had mine done 2 1/2 months ago. I had lots of complications afterwards. Other than some constipation, I feel totally normal now. Doc still wants me to wait another week before sex. I actually had sex at 6 weeks post-op and it was ok but then the doc said I should wait a little longer cause of the complications I had. Good Luck!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.