HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Slight separation of incision normal? Slight separation of incision normal?

Unread 05-17-2004, 12:14 PM
Slight separation of incision normal?

My incision is very slightly separated on the left end. Not ***** or hot or anything. The nurse said at the hospital before I left that it happens and is no big deal.

Doesn't that mean a bigger scar?

Am I over doing it? I am walking around a good bit.
Unread 05-17-2004, 12:16 PM

That *** out word was pus ey
Unread 05-17-2004, 12:29 PM

Hi - I had to chuckle cuz I have the same thing. I had a LSH and the left side hole is slightly open, I thot my dr. needed to brush up on his sewing skills. I called the nurse and she said they leave it that way on purpose - don't really know why but it seemed to make sense for the moment. But I"m not worried about it - call your dr. to make sure tho. She did say to make sure it is not bright red or oozing etc.
Unread 05-17-2004, 12:44 PM

I had no external stitches or staples and my incision looked slightly more open at 2 areas (one middle, one end)...like it had expanded open just a bit there or something, or like they didn't close it as much as the rest of the incision. I was concerned about it healing like the rest of the incision, but they said it was OK, just that it may heal with a little wider scar in that area. But it didn't. It all ended up looking the same, a thin line as though there hadn't been any little open areas to begin with.
I kept a close eye on it, though...I continued to walk a lot but watched for signs of infection and made sure it was supported when moving around or walking...at the ready to call the Dr. if anything changed with it.

Unread 05-17-2004, 01:09 PM

You should probably call your doctor's office, just to "report" it if nothing else. You probably know the signs of infection to look for...redness, fever, colored or white (not clear) drainage, and odor. Not *all* of these need to be present to indicate infection.

I had a tiny area that opened at one end of my incision, but no signs of infection. I called the doc's office and he said to put a band-aid, (no steri-strips), on it and to call if any signs of infection. As all docs have their own set of recommendations, it would be a good idea to call yours for further instructions and peace of mind.

Take care
Unread 05-17-2004, 04:17 PM

Thanks, I actually only looked at it for the first time today so maybe it was like that when I came home. I couldn't bear to look at it until this morning.

When DH gets home I will ask him to look again cause he looked when I first got home. I said to him that nurses said it is healing nicely. I asked is it sealed up nice and tight.

He just said hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. So I let it go. Poor man, in the hospital on the 3rd day I told him I was sure I was going to die and he was traumatized. Any LIW reading this don't panic, I think I was the only lady having big problem with pain control and it was more a problem with the nurse not following DR orders. I feel good now. Anyway, I think he is afraid to say anything.

Then I will be able to report the eye witness opinion to Dr.

Thanks again!
Unread 05-17-2004, 04:33 PM

I will be 6 weeks post op tomorrow and my wound took 5 weeks to completely heal. It had a gap in the middle that kept leaking but never any sign of infection. All ok now with scar evened out. Hope that reassures you. By the way, my wound started nealing once I received my swelly belly band and started using it daily.
Unread 05-18-2004, 12:10 PM

ROFL...woodsie, my dh got the first look at my incision and he literally drew back fast and gasped, rofl...and for some reason it just cracked me up!LOL The look on his face was hideous and he cried, "IT'S ALL JAGGED!! THEY HACKED YOU!!!" Hmm...nothing like breaking it to me gently, lol, and some comfort, when I was already worried about how it would look anyway...sheesh, lol.)

Glad you've been able to look at it and that you'll get some input from your Dr.
Unread 05-18-2004, 12:25 PM

I had a TAH on April 27th. Stitches inside and Steri-Strips outside.

Went to the Dr. 1 week Post-Op and he took them all off and put on about 6 new ones.

Went back 2nd week Post-Op and he took off those 6 and didn't put any back one.

I was bleeding/leaking and OMG! Did it STINK! Thought I had some funky infection... He said it was normal. The open gaps would close.

Like and idiot, when I got home, I ran to the bathroom dropped the drawers (after they told me not to look) lifted up the belly (I am a "Fluffy" sister) and proceeded to SCREAM!!! Looked like a gunshot wound..

MY partner and DD came running in and I was crying hystercially that I had a hole and it was going to get infected and he hacked my beautiful C-Section scar (as scars go it was nice) and on and on.

When they quited me down, my partner (the angel that she is) made me look at the right side. It was healed very nice other than being a little "Fresh" looking you would never know that I was cut again.

But the left side I screamed.. They laughed at me (couldn't help it) and said it would be fine.

It is getting better. It is still slightly open. there is no more blood draining from it but it oozes a little, not much. So I keep it clean and keep gauze tucked under and make sure I don't sweat. So no reason for infection.

My Dr. even called me took make sure I wasn't freaking out. He knows me so well. Wanted to reassure me that it is normal and will heal completely...

I know, I am a nut!

Stacy
Unread 05-18-2004, 12:57 PM

I am soooo laughing!!!

You girls are a ball!!

woodsie

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.