HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Oophorectomy and complications? Oophorectomy and complications?

Unread 05-18-2004, 08:20 AM
Oophorectomy?

ANyone out there who has had the Oopherectomy, can you advise as to how it feels afterwards, what stuff do you need in hospital with you apart from the obvious nightwear and toiletries.

I am now some 8 years plus after TAH so am totally in the dark about to expect after this surgery

What is the recovery length? I have been told some 5 - 7 days in hospital but havent a clue after this.
Unread 05-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Oophorectomy and complications?

I am going through the same thing, and having my oopherectomy next Tuesday. I had my TAH over 2 years ago, but now the ovaries need to come out due to problematic cysts.

I think recovery will really depend on how the surgery is performed, how extensive it will be, ect. My dr is hoping to do it via the small incisions, rather than an abdominal cut, so I will only be in the hospital for one night, and I have heard that recovery from this should be short, maybe a week at the most. If you are staying in the hosptial for 5-7 days, then I am assuming you will be having a laparotomy, rather than a laparoscopy, which in that case, the recovery will be much like your hyster, in that it will be about 6 to 8 weeks before you will really feel like you are back to where you were before surgery. I am only guessing here though. I have my pre-op tomorrow, so I plan to ask a bunch of questions. Maybe I can give you some answers after that.

I would imagine the stuff you will need will be much like that of when you had your hyster. Will you be taking HRT? I am asking for vivelle dot, the lowest dose. I am wondering if I will wake up with it on me or what. I don't know.

When is your surgery? Most of these questions can be answered at pre-op, but I know there is nothing better than the first hand experience you can get here from someone who's been there, done that. I have many of the same questions you have, actually.

Best of lucK!
Unread 05-18-2004, 10:35 AM

My surgery is now scheduled for the 24th May after having it cancelled at last minute yesterday 17th may. I was prepped for surgery and ready to go when cancelled due to previous operation over running and using my surgeons allotted surgery time up.

I already know that I will be having a laparotomy as I had a horizontal incision when I had my hysterectomy which they feel could prove to be problematic when they open me up due to adhesions.

I am very tentative and apprehensive about this surgery as I do not handle anaesthetic very well.

As for HRT I dont know what will be happening they havent confirmed removal of both ovaries as yet. I have been warned they may possibly take both though.

So if anyone has any advice on what is best HRT to take I would be grateful
Unread 05-18-2004, 10:56 AM
Anyone had Oophorectomy?

Hi,

I had my left ovary removed at the same time I had a hysteroscopy and D&C. It was done on an outpatient basis using laparascopy. The plan was to remove both ovaries if the right one was also bad. But I still would have come home that afternoon. The surgery was over around 1:00 p.m., and I was back home by 3:00 the same afternoon. I was sore and had some pain from the incisions, but it wasn't nearly as awful as I feared it would be. My muscles were much better only a couple of days after. I had to take it easy for about 5 weeks though. While I felt okay, it didn't take much to overdo, which I found out the hard way.

If your gyn is doing this laparascopically, the incisions will be small and much easier to take care of, and you will recuperate from it just fine.

--RamonaD
4/5 left ovary removed; LSH scheduled for 6/7 for fibroid colony and assorted other miseries
Unread 05-18-2004, 11:07 AM

Ramona, when were you able to drive after this surgery? I have 2 girls that I need to be able to pick up from school starting 7 days after surgery.
Unread 05-18-2004, 11:21 AM

S

Here on the Road Less Traveled hopefully you will find more answers relevant to what you're dealing with.

The closest experience I have is when I had my tubes tied, 17 or so years ago. It was done laparascopically and I had a general. I was ok'd to drive 24 hours after. But I had a lot of pain, felt like I had done about a million sit ups. Then I had the gas pains from the CO2 they use to inflate you so they can see.

Best wishes!
Unread 05-18-2004, 11:26 AM
Anyone had Oophroectomy?

Hi, Julie B.!

I didn't feel like driving for a couple of days, but it was allowed. I had my surgery on Monday, and I drove down to CVS for M&Ms on Thursday.

I didn't have any pain from it.

I wasn't allowed to vacuum or sweep for a couple of weeks though.

--RamonaD
4/5 left ovary removed; LSH scheduled for 6/7 for fibroid colony and other assorted miseries
Unread 05-18-2004, 11:26 AM

tiggerrose, I am no expert on HRT by any means, but I am asking for vivelle dot because my mother has had great success on it, plus it is a plant based estrogen, so I feel better taking about taking it. I also do not want to take pills, because then my liver will have to do more work, so a patch is what I want! It's a personal choice for everyone, I'm sure, and what works for one woman does not work for another. Heck, I might get this patch on and have it not work for me, but I hope it does.
Unread 05-28-2004, 01:16 PM
Operation Not Good!

Well I had my so called oophorectomy, for it to be stopped mid surgery, my surgeon found my ovaries have become attached to my bowel. I now have an 8 week recovery period to think hard whether I am prepared to undergo what could be an irreversable colostomy.

Has anyone here had similar problems I really need help here
Unread 05-28-2004, 01:31 PM

Oh Girl...I'm sorry to hear this has happend to you. I had my uteris surgicly attatched to my bowel..thankfully reversing this went well. I will Pray it goes well for you too.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.