HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Recurrence of cervical adenocarcinoma? Recurrence of cervical adenocarcinoma?

Unread 05-20-2004, 06:46 AM
Recurrence of cervical adenocarcinoma?

I'm new to this board. I've been hanging out on the post-op board. I had a TAH on Apr. 19 for in situ adenocarcinoma of the cervix. It had come close to being invasive but that was ruled out. When they did the TAH, everything came out clean. Does anyone know what the chance is of this recurring? I know I have to get pap smears more often of the upper vaginal wall at first. I'd appreciate any information!!! Thanks!!
Unread 05-20-2004, 08:28 AM

I believe (from my reading) that the chance of recurrence of stage 0 cervical cancer (ACIS/CIS) if all of your margins came back clean is less than 1%. You're right--it's very important to have regular PAP's (many of us have ThinPrep's done which are more accurate than the traditional PAP). If this recurs, it most typically recurs at the vaginal cuff since that's what's in close proximity to the cervix. It can recur on other areas of the vaginal wall as well. My follow-ups were scheduled every 3 months for the first 2 years, then 4 months for one year (that seems to have been unique to me), and now every 6 months for life (though I suppose after a couple of years we might decide to go to annuals).

Good luck! I wish you a long future filled with health, happiness, and normal PAP's!

Unread 05-20-2004, 08:43 AM

Thank you! I wonder what they do if it does come back on the vaginal cuff. Can they do more surgery? Or do they just do scrapings? Thanks for your reply!!
Unread 05-20-2004, 08:11 PM

I had stage 1a endo ca with no spread thru walls and to lymph nodes. My onc/gyn said surgery was all I needed, but I will have to return every 3 months for paps of the vaginal cuff. DR said if it recurred, it would be in the vaginal cuff, and his words were, they would "salvadge" the cuff. Not real sure what he meant, and honestly, I was scared to ask. Was also told there was a 3-5% chance of this recurring.

Welcome to this site.......I have found wonderful info and a lot of support!
Unread 05-21-2004, 08:18 AM

I'd like to know(or maybe not)also what they do if you have a recurrence in the vaginal cuff. My follow up is next month.
Unread 05-21-2004, 01:17 PM

Jeanine is correct. It is less than 1%. I had stage 1a and my doctor told me that the chance of recurrance was 1% and after 2 years I would be (am) back in the general population risk. As for checking the vaginal cuff. HPV the virus that is most often responsible for causing cervical cancer can also cause vaginal cancer. It is not something that happens with great frequency, but can happen.
Unread 05-21-2004, 04:37 PM

Hey Becca,

My first 3 month f/u is next month also. Maybe we can have some information to share. I've got some loaded questions for my doctor.

Another thing, and maybe someone has info to share on this. My mother who is 81 yrs old had a mastectomy last November. All lymph nodes came back clear and she did not have to have any treatments. But, just this week, she has told me that she is seeing blood when she goes to the bathroom, and its coming from her vagina. She's having discharge with blood, and its really scaring me. I'm so afraid that this might be a recurrence of cancer.

When I first noticed a change with me, I was having discharge all the time, and then I noticed blood with it. Thats what prompted me to get checked, and found out I had cancer.

From what I understand, endometrial, uterine and breast cancer can be linked.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.