HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Laparoscopic Supracervical post-op 6 weeks Laparoscopic Supracervical post-op 6 weeks

Unread 05-20-2004, 04:00 PM
Laparoscopic Supracervical post-op 6 weeks

Dear Sisters,
Just saw Doctor for brief 6 week checkup and he said "see you in a year". All pathology reports were negative which is a relief in itself since I had neglected routine visits for well over 10 years. Won't make that mistake again. Someone 51 years old should know better.

I can't say enough for this particular procedure (LSH) and thankful my N.P. referred me to a doctor who was skilled enough to do it.

I was wheeled into pre-op first thing in the morning 4-9-04 and back home after 2pm the SAME day after having my fibroid ladden uterus, tubes and both ovaries removed. Kept my cervix.

I took Lupron injections 2 months prior to surgery to see if the fibroids would shrink enough for him to be able to do it laproscopically. Even so the morning of surgery he told me once again if they were too large he would have to abort the procedure and do it through my abdomen. Thanks to the Lupron the fibroids shrank enough for him to be able to go ahead with the less invasive procedure.

The only day I needed pain meds was the day of surgery and have taken none since. Have been on estrogen patch since surgery with no ill effects. I needed no bowel prep and have no memory of the catheter at all, it was inserted and removed while I was out. Have had no problems (knock on wood) hopefully I can say that a year from now. All my parts work just fine, mostly better than before.

Saw the doctor 1 week after surgery and at that time he released me for all normal activities, including intercourse. So started daily long walks again and at end of 2nd week was taking short rides on my bike and for all intent and purposes was back to almost 100%, although I really did and continue not to overdo (particularly lifting).

Now at 6 weeks there is really no sign that surgery was ever performed. Had 4 little incisions and they are hard to even find now. Since they didn't have to go thru my vagina I have no problems with granulation, vaginal cuff stitches, etc.

This is a wonderful procedure if you are a candidate, but there aren't enough doctors being trained to do it. Hopefully in time this will change.

The reason for this post is just to say although you may not be able to avoid a hysterectomy you do have options sometimes in regard to the hysterectomy procedure so don't be afraid to question your doctors or switch if needed. Also wanted to let you know I feel really good! Better than I have felt in years. So relieved to have this behind me and not be bleeding forever, bloating, having my bowel and bladder in fits due to being squeezed and squashed, my lower back feels so much better and goodbye cramps.

Mine was a positive experience, glad I had it done, glad it's over with. Had to share. Good luck to all of you.
Unread 05-20-2004, 05:40 PM
TO: Alrunes

Congrats on the good news with your 6-week check-up for your LSH.

I am 4-weeks post-op today and due for my 6-week soon.

I started back at work at 2 weeks and I have a "greenlight" to go back to the gym as of today.

I too cannot say enough about the LSH surgery. I am very pleased with my surgery results!!!!

I too did lupron shots. 3-months. My Dr. said w/o the shots he would not have been able to do a LSH.

I agree. The LSH is a newer procedure so there are not as many surgeons doing it. I too felt fortunate to find my Dr.

Good Luck!!
Unread 05-20-2004, 07:42 PM

Hi - I'm scheduled June 1 for a LSH. Did you "spot" or have any discharge after the surgery? I'm going to make sure the Dr. does the cauterization of the cervix, but I wasn't sure if I should expect any spotting.

This may sound strange, but I'm kind of excited about having the procedure. I think it will be fantastic to have all the bad stuff gone, and have a full life ahead - without a period!! It is amazing to think about.

Thanks for your information!

Krista
Unread 05-20-2004, 08:03 PM
To: Krista

Krista,

I can only answer for myself as far as spotting. I am sure Alrunes will post also.

I had spotting for about 7 days after the LSH surgery then it stopped. Mr. Dr. said that is normal. I also had my cervix cauterized during surgery.

The "spotting" you may be refering to is the 'mini-period" that happens to some Hyster Sisters after a LSH. In cauterization, there can sometimes be some uterine wall left and it creates a mini-period. I have not experienced that and I am only 4 weeks post-op.

Truthfully, I have not seen a LSH Hyster Sister on the boards yet who said they had a mini-period. However, I have read some posts from ladies saying they have seen these LSH Hyster Sisters.

Good Luck. My LSH surgery went wonderfully. As you said, you have the rest of your life to enjoy the outcome of your surgery. My feelings exactly!!
Unread 05-20-2004, 08:30 PM

Krista, I spotted for 3-4 days, then nothing. Still kept wearing a pad because I'd bled everyday for months and couldn't believe it was over. It is!!

LSH is an excellent option for those who are candidates and whose physicians are skilled at it; however it is still major surgery with all its potential complications and long recovery period. I'm glad for the sisters who've had positive experiences and easy recoveries; my own recovery has been difficult and at 5 weeks postop am nowhere near ready to go back to work. So please go into it with realistic expectations and best wishes to you.
Unread 05-20-2004, 08:43 PM
Missed the LSH

Hi Sisters!
I am so jealous in the respect that I couldn't have a LSH.

I was an excellent candidate and was scheduled for an LSH on April 27th.

When I got to the castle the Pre-Op nurse asked which Dr. I was a patient of I told her my Wizzard's name and then said there is another Dr. assisting (My Dr. had taken the classes but never performed an LSH and was being assisted by another Dr. who is teaching this procedure) she said "Oh. So you are a patient of Dr. XXXXX, well he will be in to talk to you."

With that I said "Hold On Lady" what are you talking about? Turns out that the hospital denied the assisting Dr. surgical privliges that morning at 5am!!

So, I had about an hour to decide if I wanted to wait another month until I could have the LSH or have a TAH that day.

I opted (along with the other LIW) to have the TAH. I don't regret it as things in there were a mess.

I was upset that I couldn't have the LSH as my recovery and "Down Time" would be cut in half.

I don't regret my decision and i am 3 weeks post op and doing well.

Congrats to all of you who had this great procedure and congrats to all of us who are doing well.

Take care,
Stacy
Unread 05-20-2004, 09:59 PM

I had L.S.H. on April 27th. I had 3 months of Lupron to shrink the fibroids and it worked. Although I feel that this is a great procedure I feel that I was very unrealistic in thinking that my recovery would be like all the other sisters. I ONLY started to feel good on Monday which was 1 day short of being 3 weeks out of surgery. I did not take pain medications once I left the hospital as I hate taking medications. I did not feel good at all - pain all over my lower abdomen, vomiting for 2 days after 8 days (stomach flu ?) and then I thought that I had a bladder infection as it hurt when I went to the bathroom. That came back negative. I was very very tired, constipated for 2 weeks and really felt like s--t. By some miracle I woke up on Monday and just felt normal. I will go back to work on Monday which will make it almost 4 weeks post surgery.

I was abit naive to think that I would be o.k. after 7-10 days. Everyone heals differently and mine was a longer recovery than I had hoped for. Still I am grateful that I was able to have L.S.H and of course I would highly recomend it to anyone that is a candidate for it.

Debbie
Unread 05-21-2004, 12:36 AM

Krista - As far as spotting after LSH, yes I did, but it started about 2 weeks after surgery and was so light it didn't require wearing a pad or anything. It was only there a couple times when I went to the bathroom. At one point I did have some heavier brownish discharge but that ended quickly and haven't had anything else since. I think it was just old blood.

The first 3 weeks my bladder didn't feel all that great but it's back to normal now.

It's just great to no longer have to go thru another period. As far as mini-periods I'm just not far enough along to know if that will happen or not.

My doctor didn't say I would have them -- all he told me is that since I still have my cervix I need to continue to have yearly exams.
Good luck and good healing.
Unread 05-21-2004, 08:58 AM

Thank you for the information - I thought everyone had a great recovery (wishful thinking, I'm sure)- thanks for being so honest, OhComeNow and Debbie. I needed to hear that there can be complications, and I can't be unrealistic during my recovery. I want to make sure I have all the bases covered, and just because the proceduree is "easy", recovery is anything but - even if there are no problems.

My pre-op is next Wednesday, and I'm going to write down the things all of you mentioned so I can ask the doctor about what I can expect.

Thanks again!
Krista
Unread 05-23-2004, 03:59 PM

I had this type of surgery. I can't believe my doctor was able to remove a 10 cm fibroid and every else this way.

I got the all clear after 2 weeks. I consider myself lucky that I was able to have this type of surgery and there were no complications.

I don't know who posted about not being able to wait to have the bad junk gone and no more periods.

I just tell you that yes it is nice to have all the bad junk gone and no more periods.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.