HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

endometrial biopsy - help! endometrial biopsy - help!

Unread 05-25-2004, 02:02 PM
endometrial biopsy - help!

I'm scheduled to have one tomorrow, and the doc said to take 800 mg of Motrin before I come. Will this be enough? I have a fairly low tolerance for pain - especially in that area. The biopsy is in conjunction with my pre-op - how do you feel afterwards? Will I be capable of listening to my surgery instructions? My DH will be at the office with me, but I know what kind of a wimp I am, and I guess I'm just scared about this procedure. Should I let him in the room during the procedure, or will it be too much for a man? Any hints on how to get through it?

Thanks!

Krista
Unread 05-25-2004, 02:21 PM

It is just a scraping of your uterine lining so they can get cells to look at. I had one done and it isn't painful. When the instrument goes into your uterus, you just get a mild to moderate cramping like a period.

The ibuprofen will help to keep the discomfort to a minimum. The cramping feeling goes away as soon as it's done---it only takes a few minutes.

Cheers
Gale
Unread 05-25-2004, 02:36 PM

kddy - I, too, have a low tolerance for pain. I took slow, deep breaths during the procedure. I'd say it felt like a pelvic (which I don't enjoy anyway) plus some serious pinching sensations. Mostly, just try not to tense up while the doc is working and keep in mind that it only takes a couple of minutes up in the stirrups for him to be done. I was a little crampy afterwards, took some Advil when it was all over, and spotted very lightly for a couple of hours.

As for the hubby in the room - if you think you'll be more relaxed with his hand to hold, by all means ask your doc if it's ok for him to be there. Mine didn't go to that appointment but he has been there for one post-op appt with me. I just had him stay up near my head, hold my hand and keep looking me in the eye. That way, he's not reacting to anything that he might see going on, which helped me not be tense about it.
Unread 05-25-2004, 02:40 PM

Kddy

I had an endometrial biopsy a few weeks ago. I agree with btdt it's not painful but there is mild cramping and the nurse told me to breath slowly in and out and that helped. I took 600 mg of Aleve and I believe that helped as it always has helped with cramping. I was expecting all this pain and it wasn't bad at all. And it's over before you know it. You should have no problem understanding your dr's pre surgery instructions. I think your DH will be fine in the room. I had my DH in the room with me when i had a coloscopy and I think that was worse than the endo biopsy. This time I went alone and it was fine Best Wishes
Unread 05-25-2004, 04:05 PM
It's not that bad

I've had these twice in the doc's office, they never told me to take anything beforehand. He does tell me to cough as he is trying to navigate through the cervix though, as a distraction.

The first time was before my embolization, to rule out malignancy. The second time was last month, and he felt like he couldn't get far enough into the uterus, and that was proven true when the path report came back saying they had no endometrium in the sample. At that point, I had to have the D&C, and the doc said there are fibroids, I guess they may be blocking the cervix a bit? But I will ask those questions at my D&C followup visit next week.

Anyway, it's not a bad procedure, although I've heard it's easier to do on women who've had children than it is on women who haven't. Hugs go out to you from me, don't be scared!
Unread 05-25-2004, 04:40 PM

Sorry to tell you this, but I thought it was painful. Pretty nasty pinching and cramping. However, I did not know I was walking into one. (long story) So I did not take anything before hand to help with the pain.

I am sure that if I would have known what I was in for and could have taken some ibuprofin before, I would have been better off.

I have learned the lesson the hard way....ALWAYS take someone with you. If you are uncomfortable, have DH stand out in the hall during the procedure and then come in after when the doc is going over all the other items.

This way if you are too stressed, he can help you remember. Don't be shy, even bring a pen and note pad to make notes or have some pre-written questions.

I would also suggest that you take it easy the rest of the day. No working out or lifting heavy or sort of heavy things. Give yourself a bit of a break for the rest of the day and you will be just fine.

Hope all comes out well for you,
Unread 05-25-2004, 04:59 PM

The best advice I can give you is to breathe through your mouth....in and out and slowly. When you breathe through your mouth it is harder for your body to tense up. It seems if you are concentrating on breathing you are paying less attention to the procedure. My doctor also had me cough when she removed the instrument and it was a distraction and worked great!
Best of luck and take care!
Unread 05-25-2004, 05:24 PM

I just had an endometrial biopsy in my doctor's office a week ago today. I didn't know ahead of time that I was going to have it. After an ultrasound showed irregularities of my uterine lining, my doctor gave me the option of having the biopsy right then or doing it another day. I opted to just have him do it.

I didn't have Motrin or anything else. It wasn't fun, and there was some cramping, but nothing that lasted more than a couple of seconds at a time, and nothing unbearable. My husband was there with me, and I think he took it worse than I did!!

I was kind of sore the next day, but some Motrin and my Electric Woobie (heating pad - my almost constant companion these days!) got me through it. I didn't have to stay home from work or anything.

I know everyone is different as far as pain tolerance, but I would have another one under the same circumstances without hesitation.

Good luck! I get my results tomorrow - I'll keep the good thought for both of us!

Connie
Unread 05-25-2004, 05:31 PM

Hi Krista,

I had an endometrial biopsy done a couple of weeks ago - and I didn't think it was bad at all. I was very anxious about having it done and for me that was the worst part ( the waiting and worrying ).

I think it would would be okay for your hubby to stay in the room. I had mine leave - but only because he was there on his lunch break ( he's a Police Officer) and he had to leave his radio on. I knew the radio would distract me from my relaxation breathing.

Try not to tense up and just take deep breaths. You will be just fine !! Please let me know how it goes and also what your results are.

Love & Hugs,
Michelle
Unread 05-25-2004, 05:37 PM

As you can see, kddy - we all have a different take on whether it hurt or not, and whether or not we'd have our hubby in the room. One thing we all agree on though, you'll get through it just fine. And we pretty much agree that you'll be able to get the drift of the pre-op instructions. (I don't know about your doc, but mine had a photocopied sheet to hand me so I didn't forget any important steps.) It never hurts to have a second set of ears with you to help you remember, or to take a notebook to write things down. The doc would certainly rather you be thorough than forget something important!

The procedure may not be any fun for a couple of minutes, but - "This too shall pass"!

Know that we'll all be sending you our positive thoughts.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.