HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

When can you start lifting after surgery? When can you start lifting after surgery?

Unread 05-25-2004, 07:55 PM
When can you start lifting after surgery?

I was wondering when can one start lifting say 15 to 20 pounds after surgery?

I'm about 4 months out - and carried a vacuum cleaner up stairs and I have been super sore. I'm really concerned. I thought by this time I could handle it.

Thanks!

Anita
Unread 05-25-2004, 08:00 PM

Hi Anita,

I was allowed to lift 15-20 pounds at about 8 weeks post-op. The initial recovery period is typically 6-8 weeks but it can take many, many months to be completely healed. If you are experiencing new pain or discomfort you should call your doctor. It's always best to be on the safe side.

Unread 05-25-2004, 08:32 PM

Hi, I'm going into my 7th week post-op. Had a LSH so only had tiny little incisions and was released for all normal activity after a week, but I'm still very afraid to lift anything heavier than a gallon water or milk container. I get internal twinges if I start lifting too much. I think it's going to be many, many months before I feel comfortable lifting.
Unread 05-26-2004, 09:40 AM

I have wondered the same thing. I'm 3 weeks post-op, vaginal repairs (no incision) and a few times I have lifted our dog, who is 15 lb.
I wonder if this is a no-no?
It doesn't hurt when I lift him, but I am experiencing a few more aches/twinges etc. this week.

Kathy
Unread 05-26-2004, 12:35 PM

Lifting was my dr's biggest concern! He told me absolutely no lifting anything heavier then 10 lbs for 12 weeks! He won't budge on that restriction at all. He said when you lift to much it pulls things inside and can have internal bleeding.
Unread 05-26-2004, 01:45 PM

I am 7 months post op and about 1 month ago I decided to change by bedroom around. Now I am scheduled for rectocele repair in July. My doctor specifically asked if I had moved anything heavy. It honestly never occurred to me to not move the furniture. I have had a great uneventful recovery and now this! So my answer to your question is:
DON'T PUSH, PULL OR LIFT ANYTHING HEAVY FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR!!!

Believe me, I will not do ANYTHING after this surgery that might cause another surgery. I am not going to mop, sweep, vaccum, mow the lawn, haul dirt or move furniture for a long, long time.
Unread 05-26-2004, 02:13 PM

That really worries me! I am single and live alone. I am having someone take care of my lawn for about a month after my TAH. After that I will be on my own. My lawn mower has a pull start and is not self propelled. I really cannot afford to hire this done. I have a really small (postage stamp!!) yard. Is this going to be a major problem?

Diana
Unread 05-26-2004, 03:05 PM

I think you just need to go by what your doctor says, but personally I think you need to wait longer than 1 month to be doing the lawn. Mopping and sweeping can wait for a long time.
Unread 05-26-2004, 09:58 PM

I am 6 months post op. While visiting my gp last week I mentioned that I was still sore so he took a look and said "it looks like a hernia to me" Isn't that special? I have no idea what I did that caused that. After my 6 week checkup the gyn said no snow skiing yet but didn't give me any lifting restrictions. I don't know what they think normal activities are. I will be visiting a surgeon soon.
Unread 05-26-2004, 10:26 PM

Did your dotor clear you to return to all normal activities? And did s/he give you any idea about how heavier work and lifting might affect your particular condition? These are very individualized things, so maybe it might be worth a call to your doc.

That being said, remember, you had a large operation. It can take months on end to really get back to "normal," whatever that might be. Listen to your body and try to building up your muscles very gradually. They've been through a lot, so they won't feel really well for a long time in many cases.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.