HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Stubborn bladder infection will NOT go away--help! Stubborn bladder infection will NOT go away--help!

Unread 05-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Stubborn bladder infection will NOT go away--help!

Hello, all my Sisters! I have a problem that is getting me rather worried. I have had a bladder infection since a week before my surgery (LAVH on 4-23), and time and time again, I thought it was gone, only to show up a couple of days later.

I've taken 5 days worth of Bactrim, had antibiotics in my IV at the castle, next was Cipro for 10 days, a "booster" shot of antibiotics at my regular doc, and now after another ER visit, I'm back to taking Bactrim for the next 10 days. This sooooo stinks.

I'll be at my Gyno next Tuesday, and at my Gastroenterologist for my on-going battle to get rid of my gall bladder (that's another long story LOL).

I'm wondering: Should I be seeing a Urologist, too? My back hurts, so I'm worried that the infection is in my kidneys, which can be serious! As in "stay-in-the-hospital" serious.

Any of my Sisters been through this? What else can I do? How long can this go on?? Thanks for any help or co-miserating you all can give. I love this site--you've been a real savior of my sanity many times! God bless us all......
Unread 05-25-2004, 09:25 PM

Hi Ladeedah,

My heart goes out to you, because bladder infections are the worst!!!

I'm six weeks post-op (TAH) and just returned from the doctor after having a bladder infection for the last week or so on and off. It turned out I had a bacterial infection that formed at my incision. The discharge from this was going up my bladder and causing the infection. I was taking over the counter drugs for bladder and drinking tons of water, etc. and it wasn't doing anything. Right now I'm taking Flagel for 5 days to stop the bacterial infection.

Your situation sounds awful. Definitely see the urologist regarding the kidneys, etc. and get a professional "western doctor" opinion. I have also had this problem in the past. Believe or not, homeopathy has helped me. I see a homeopathic doctor in my hometown that is very good at curing bladder infections. If you are interested in this, let me know and I will pass on his telephone number. Sometimes taking tons of antibiotics can throw off your whole system, first causing yeast in the body which then can cause bladder infections in response to the yeast. It's not a pretty cycle. I am taking a very good probiotic (acidophilus, etc.) which puts the good stuff back in your intestines after the antibiotics wipe everything out. Also, L.Glutamine helps too.

Hope you feel better really soon!

Kelly

TAH, ovaries out, fibroid 5 lbs, pelvic infection etc. but feeling great now!
Unread 05-26-2004, 05:19 AM

Thanks Kelly! I am going to ask for (another) referral to a Urologist next week if I'm still not better.

I know what you mean about homeopathic remedies. I eat acidolphilus yogurt everyday to battle the yeast in my system, and all I drink is water. I have also heard of blueberry juice being an excellent drink for the infection due to the acidity (just like cranberry juice), and I fortunately have a freezer full of blueberries (we have several huge bushes in our yard). I'm going to look around online for some recipes. I'll just go buy the cranberry juice at the grocery store.

I'm just about willing to do anything at this point. Just the thought of having ANY infection this long is worrysome.

Thanks a lot! I'm a Kelley, too!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway