I have a seroma but not at the incision site | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have a seroma but not at the incision site I have a seroma but not at the incision site

Unread 05-26-2004, 09:37 PM
I have a seroma but not at the incision site

Hi, posted yesterday but still seeking answers. I had severe pain in my left side far away from incision it was horrible pain that I could pinpoint the exact spot that hurt. Ct scan showed a seroma deep in my abdominal tissue. Now I am starting to have the same pain (not severe yet) in my right side. Has anyone else had a seroma no where near the incision site and what was done about it. I am feeling extremely ill all of a sudden. I have felt great since the day I came home from the hospital the surgery did not slow me down my house has never been so clean. Did I cause this by not taking it easy? I feel stupid laying around when I felt good, but now I feel horrible. Called my Doctor but of course he is was not in the office today have appointment on Friday to see him but still worried that something is just not right. Any advice or similar experience?

Had a complete hysto including cervix and left ovary. Still have right over. Had a birch procedure done on bladder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2004, 08:19 AM

Hi Shellie,

I am sorry to hear you are starting to feel unwell after feeling so good initially. I am not sure of when you had the surgery or how many days post-op you are or when you had the CT scan but I presume the Dr you are seeing will discuss the CT results with you on Friday?

It is my understanding that a seroma is a collection of serum and blood that causes a mass, presumably this is left over from the surgery, it may not have been reabsorped back into the body and has collected in one spot. It is no good worrying now if you have overdone things, although it is important to rest, rest, rest no matter how 'well' you feel. What is important is to have the Dr review the scan results as soon as possible. If you are starting to feel unwell now you could be brewing an infection from the mass and you must report to him all your symptoms particularly if you have a fever. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.

I hope you get some answers soon and start to feel better, let us know how you get on at your appt.

Best wishes, Blossom
Unread 06-05-2004, 09:55 AM

Dear Shellie, I'm SO sorry to hear about your problems with the seroma. They're tricky little devils to deal with.

First thing to remember is that you did NOTHING to cause this. It's a result of the surgery--no mistake of your dr's either.

My seroma developed from a laparoscopy, but the seroma is on the back of my abdominal cavity on my spine--no where near my incisions. I had gotten to the point that I couldn't walk or urinate, so I went to the dr. LONG story short, I ended up on a month's bedrest while I took anti-inflammatories. No lifting whatsoever. Dr said that I could ride a stationary bike when I felt like it, but that was all the exercise I could have.

I hope you have better luck getting rid of yours than I have. My little booger's still hanging around and causing problems more than a year later. (Guess I didn't take it as easy as I should've)

In the meantime, listen to your dr--and don't beat yourself up. Give your body the chance to heal. I'll be praying for you, sweetie.

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}

~Chanda

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register