HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Is 4 cm a considered a large cyst? Is 4 cm a considered a large cyst?

Unread 05-29-2004, 06:50 AM
Is 4 cm a considered a large cyst?

I knew that I had cysts around my uterus and ovaries, but one has gotten 4 cm. I know that is larger than the ovary but how large is that?
Unread 05-29-2004, 07:15 AM

And how likely is it to be cancerous. My mothers came back bengin but that would be the worst and my luck is horrible. As you can see with the supposed pregnancy.
Unread 05-29-2004, 11:09 AM

I don't think the size can tell you if it is cancerous. I know that the doctor can get a good idea from the ultrasound (but not always) whether or not a cyst is benign, but I don't think size is what assists in their decision. They look to see if the cyst is fluid filled or solid.

Sorry, I don't know if a 4 cm cyst is large. I think my cysts are only 2 cm, but they don't cause me any pain or anything.
Unread 05-29-2004, 11:39 AM

4 cm is not considered large, a cyst the size of a chicken egg is 'normaly' considered med & one the size of an orange is considered 'large' saying that they can be as big as a small melon.

But as the old saying goes, size dosn't matter it's the pain they can give you. The smallest cyst can give some ladys large amounts of pain.

There are also only a very small percentage of cysts that are cancerous. That is one thing I wouldn't worry about (I do have a cyst on the neck of my womb, size undertemined at this time)

More importantly are they going to remove it anyway?
That would be my question.

Think positively & we are always here to listen
Unread 05-29-2004, 12:50 PM

4 cm is slightly under 2 inches. It's not considered "large," but that doesn't necessarily mean a thing in terms of your medical condition.

Size is not really an indicator of malignancy, far as I know. The suckers can get to the size of bowling balls or worse. So can fibroids. If you go to Google, set it to "images" and the input "uterine cyst" and/or "fibroid", you will be blown away by some of the photos!

However, let me emphasize that small size does not automatically mean harmless or meaningless. Small sized cysts and fibroids and other kinds of growths can cause beastly symptoms, and there is always the question of malignancy.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.