HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Sore Throat and Cough--2 Days Before Surgery Sore Throat and Cough--2 Days Before Surgery

Unread 05-31-2004, 10:55 AM
Sore Throat and Cough--2 Days Before Surgery

I have developed, since yesterday, a moderately bad sore throat and a cough. I also have nasal congestion, but I always have that due to severe allergies. However, so far I have no fever.

Should this interfere with surgery? I don't want to overreact, but I don't want to ignore either. I have pretty bad asthma and allergies, so when I get a full-blown cold it can be pretty miserable trying to breathe. I also don't look forward to being intubated with a sore throat.

Anyone know if they could cancel the surgery at the last moment if this continues?

Incidentally, on top of this, I started bleeding Saturday and it got so heavy that, per the doctor's previous instructions, I had to call her about it. I'm now on 400 mg of Prometrium daily to try to slow it down somewhat. I think it's just starting to work, although the bleeding is still pretty heavy. It has been touch-and-go this past week, anyway, with my hematocrit and hemoglobin levels, as to whether or not the surgery could go ahead as scheduled. When I spoke with the doctor this weekend, she said we couldn't afford to lose what ground we've gained on the anemia going into surgery. I am really hoping this is working and the blood loss won't be too much.

Actually, I'm not sure whether I wish more that I will receive a reprieve in the form of a postponement due to a cold or blood loss or that we will go ahead as scheduled and get it over with. I think a cancellation would be worse, because the worry and planning just has to start all over again.
Unread 05-31-2004, 11:36 AM

Dear ((( Phillipa )))

I'm awfully sorry that you have gotten a sore throat and cough. I know you said you had talked to your doctor this weekend, but was it about the bleeding or about your throat and allergies?

I think you should call her, just so that she'll know in advance. She may want to see you in her office tomorrow, just to be on the safe side.

I hope that your surgery won't be postponed, if you are comfortable with your decision, and are ready for it, but on the other hand, if it's dangerous to proceed, it would be better for it to be postponed until you're healthier.

Please let us know what you find out. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

S
Unread 05-31-2004, 11:56 AM

Hi,

I'm kinda in the same boat as you are. My surgery is next Monday, and I think I'm developing one of those long-lasting colds. A friend of mine suggested that I get zinc lozenges because she says that sometimes they ward off a cold or can make their duration shorter. I picked up Cold-Eeze, which, according to some studes, reduces the serverity of symptoms and reduces the duration of the cold. They aren't the tastiest things in the world, but they're not bad, and at least, I feel like I'm doing something, other than staying away from my youngest child (which is breaking my heart) because she definitely has a cold. Last week, my dr. told me to take drink lots of anything with Vitamin C and also to take it, but that stuff hurts my bladder.

--RamonaD
4/5 left ovary removed; 6/7 LSH scheduled for fibroid colony and other assorted miseries
Unread 05-31-2004, 12:37 PM

Karen,

I spoke with the doctor about the bleeding. I did briefly consider calling her again about the possible cold, but I decided there wasn't much she could do anyway so I think I'll just wait and call when the office is open on Tuesday if I still have the sore throat and cough. A sore throat is not a normal part of my allergy symptoms, but I do frequently start out getting a cold with a sore throat. The cough is very different, too. I usually have wheezing and diffiuclty breathing with the asthma, not a cough. And my other allergies make my nose run and make me sneeze, but not cough. That's why I'm concerned that it is the beginning of something more than allergies. However, as of yet, it's not too bad, other than the sore throat and hacking cough.

Ramona,

I hope you manage to avoid the cold that your family has been having. It sounds like a nasty one. And how hard it must be not to be able to take care of your daughter. I remember when we first brought our very fragile, premature daughter home from the hospital. She was only 4 pounds 4 ounces at three months old. During the first week she was home my three year-old son came down with one of the worst viral flus he has ever had. The doctor warned that if my daughter would get it, it could easily kill her or, at the least, send her back to the hospital. So we divided up the house and children and my husband and I each took care of one of the kids, keeping them (and us) totally separated until the illness passed. Thankfully, she made it through without contracting the virus. Hopefully, you'll be able to avoid getting sick, as well, but it's really hard when you're the mom! Are the Cold-Eze the zinc lozenges, or something different? If they are different, are you taking the Cold-Eze as well as the zinc lozenges? Maybe I should try that. Healing thoughts coming your way---hope you make it to your surgery on June 7.
Unread 05-31-2004, 01:21 PM

PhillipaR,

My youngest isn't a baby anymore. She's 6, but I had her after our 3rd baby died, and I'm very emotional about her. It doesn't help that I'm all emotional about her right now anyway.

Cold-Eeze, on the back of the box, says that it is "the original Zinc Gluconate Glycine formula." There were several different zinc lozenges at the pharmacy. I didn't think the one with echinacea would be a good idea because of the upcoming surgery. The recommended daily dosage is 6 a day, but they can be taken every 2 to 4 hours as needed.

I'm really hoping they will work for me. I'm worried that if I have to postpone the LSH, one of two things will happen. The army will move us somewhere else before it can be rescheduled, or the army hospital will get another gyn., and I'll be stuck with surgery by an army dr. in an army hospital. Yikes!!!!

RamonaD
4/5 left ovary removed; 6/7 LSH scheduled for fibroid colony and other assorted miseries
Unread 05-31-2004, 02:43 PM

Ramona,

I didn't think your youngest was a baby, but I figured she was still quite young. A six year old still wants and needs her mommie--and I know it must be hard to keep your distance. Actually, I don't care how old my kids get---if they are sick or hurting I want to be able to help if I can. So I'm sure it's one more stressor for you to cope with right now. I do hope you don't actually come down with a cold or, if you do, that it is of very short duration. I will look forward to seeing you post after the surgery reporting that all is well.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway