HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Endometriosis and Estrogen after hyst - need help and advice! Endometriosis and Estrogen after hyst - need help and advice!

Unread 06-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Endometriosis and Estrogen after hyst - need help and advice!

Hi sisters,

I'm heading to the castle next week where everything "goes" and suddenly I am very worried about HRT. My doc has told me that she will put me on HRT one week after surgery but we never really discussed what type and it didn't really matter much to me at the time - but now I'm worried that if I take estrogen, endo problems will come back. Please share your experiences with me here. Any endo sisters taking estrogen after hyst and if so, did the endo come back?

What about endo sisters NOT taking estrogen? What are your experiences? What are you taking?
What do I do??

Lori
Unread 06-09-2004, 08:20 AM

I had endo with my castle date being almost six months ago, the dr took everything. The dr said since having endo he would not put me on hrt and my interist agreed. I have been doing good execpt for hot flashes/night sweats. See how long you can manage with out hrt and go from there. You might surprise yourself.
Unread 06-09-2004, 08:42 AM

I have endo, which is the only reason for my TAH/BSO, my doctor will be putting me on Estrast HS (sp). I questioned my concern about endo and HRT and he said the estrogen in this is such a low dose that it won't cause endo to grow but will help with menapause side effects and my libidio.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna take it long term. My thinking is to take the first few weeks after surgery just to get me through recovery with hot flashes and stuff while I'm recouping and then try to go without it. I'm already currently on Lupron and prempro so hopefully instant menapause wont' be too shocking on my system since I've been shut down for so long,

Talk to your doctor and see what he wants to put you on and do lots of research.
Unread 06-10-2004, 08:21 AM

I was on Lupron two for a few months and the doc gave me prempro to take if I needed it (but I didn't - I could handle the symptoms without any trouble).

She did mention that she WILL put me on HRT one week after surgery and strongly encouraged me to take it. I am thinking it might have something to do with preventing osteoporosis (sp?) and other health benefits associated with taking HRT. What do you girls think?
Unread 06-10-2004, 08:32 AM

There are others ways to help prevent osteoporosis (sp)

I take 1,200 mg of calcium a day. One tablet in the morning and one in the evening to total 1,200. They say by taking them that way the calcium absorbs into your body better than it would if you take them all at once.

Also, jogging or some impact excerise (not walking) something that you pound the pavement so to speak that gets your bones moving is suppose to help. They jogging maybe real speed walking.

I also buy the cacluim fortified stuff like OJ and things to help. I did a bone density after one year of HRT and Lupron and was still a nice average just a little below what was my age group but nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm still on the fence about HRT and I'm scheduled for tomorrow and stopping prempro tonight for good! I got my prescription for Estratest HS but the side effects/warnings are scary to read! So I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.