HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

bleeding after cystoscopy? bleeding after cystoscopy?

Unread 06-09-2004, 04:59 PM
bleeding after cystoscopy?

I had a cystoscopy and CT scan earlier today and I'm worried about how much I am bleeding! Yuck! Clots omega! I'm going through pads. Should I call the doctor ('tho his office is closed now), or wait a few more hours to see if the bleeding continues this bad?
Unread 06-09-2004, 09:17 PM

there shouldnt be any bleeding other than maybe a spot or two for the first couple of times you urinate after the cystoscopy..what youre describing definitely warrants atleast a call to your dr, if not an office visit.
Unread 06-10-2004, 04:20 AM

Hi Junie,

Sorry you are feeling so bad, I agree that there shouldn't be heavy bleeding like that. When I had my cystoscopy I was told it wouldn't bleed at all, however, I did see pinkish tinged urine the first couple of times I went afterwards.

Please contact your Dr as soon as possible and let us know what happens,

Blossom
Unread 06-10-2004, 06:28 AM

Thank you for responding. Naturally I was a little freaked last night. The bleeding was pretty intense, and then I couldn't pee for awhile, so I knew something wasn't right.

Thankfully it subsided and I seem OK this morning--passing urine OK and just spotting. I am due to call the doctor today, and I will tell him about this reaction and let you know what he says.
Unread 06-10-2004, 07:10 AM

so glad you are doing better. I had one couple of weeks ago.Just bleed a little.Judy
Unread 06-10-2004, 10:04 PM

I think you should go to emergency. I had a cystoscopy done at the office and only had a tinge of blood. You have lots which may indicate that something must have ruptured or a blood vessel broken.

Do seek professional care!

bunnykinb
Unread 06-16-2004, 07:04 PM

junie_seven,

An office cystoscopy shouldn't result in bleeding. But after reading your message, I asked the doctor if there is bleeding after an outpatient cystoscopy and hydrodistention. He said yes there would be somewhat like a period. Oh, great. I hope it doesn't last that long. I go in this Friday for the procedure.

How are you feeling now?

bunnykinb
Unread 06-16-2004, 07:27 PM

well I was feeling better....
Called the urologist the day after my cystoscopy and talked to the nurse. She was surprised about the amount of blood I was passing, but it had stopped by then, so nothing more was done about it. I'm scheduled for another cystoscopy on July 2nd because the CT showed a spot on my kidney. And, at the first cystocopy, they couldn't complete the procedure because of some equipment problem.
All of a sudden today, I'm bleeding again! A week after the procedure! Not heavily, but enough to be concerned. And I have an ache on my right side. So I called the nurse again, and they prescribed an antibiotic (Cipro).
I guess nothing more will be done until my next procedure. Is this a sign of a kidney stone, maybe?
Unread 06-17-2004, 11:03 AM
Question - bleeding after cystoscopy? bleeding after cystoscopy?

junie_seven,

Kidney stones wouldn't cause bleeding. My husband had several kidney stones and his pain was awful. But, no visible blood at all only blood found in a urine culture.

Hmm, bleeding after a week? I would think the doctor would want you to see him/her. But, maybe again, the doctors hear or see so much of this that it's normal for them. Whereas, a typical person like you and myself, any bleeding that doesn't come along during the regular monthly cycles or after childbirth just doesn't sound right.

After my procedure is done, maybe Saturday or Sunday, I'll touch base again. I also found out I have many cysts on both ovaries and I was originally concerned about fibroids which only turned out to be one. So, I have to ask for a referral to an ob/gyn since I totally don't rely on the primary doctors because of miss diagnosing me with UTI's when in fact I am a possible IC case.

Take care,
bunnykinb

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.