HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Reflux on vocal chords??  GERD?? Reflux on vocal chords?? GERD??

Unread 06-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Reflux on vocal chords?? GERD??

Hi everyone! Its been a while for me since I have posted, but here is my question to any of you. The last month I have been having terrible reflux and a burning sensation in my throat. I do not have any stomach pain however. I went in to the ENT and he did a scope of my throat in the office. He said it is something called LPR where my vocal chords have had acid reflux on them It is causing a lot of pain anAnyways... I was put on a double dose of Protonix and it does not seem to be helping. I have also tried Aciphex. I think the drug of choice is Nexium. Have any of you noticed that Nexium works better than the others? My insurance doesnt cover it, but I think I may have to try it. Has anyone had this sort of reflux on the vocal chords? Thanks so much, Jody
Unread 06-14-2004, 05:50 PM

(((Jody)))) I'm so sorry you've been having such a rough time and that the meds are not helping Hopefully, you'll soon find meds that will help and that ae covered by your insurance.
Unread 06-14-2004, 11:40 PM

I was diagnosed with GERD approximately six months after my hysterectomy. My vocal cords were swollen, red, and had nodules; the reason I went to an ENT doctor was because I was extremely hoarse for 2 weeks & I had to clear my throat constantly. I have never had pain or heartburn. I was put on one Protonix in the morn & one Protonix in the evening. Now I am down to only one Protonix in the morning. I have modified my diet and most of the time I avoid any food/drink that my doctor said is not good for people who have GERD. I also had speech therapy which helped me to not strain my voice. I do not know what you mean by "LPR". I have not used any of the other drugs you mentioned; the Protonix has worked for me and the modifications I have done. I suggest that you ask your doctor what are the other things you can do to reduce the severity of GERD if your doctor has not already done so. I do not think merely using the Protonix is enough, though it certainly helps to reduce the stomach acid.
Unread 06-15-2004, 03:36 PM

Thanks for your reply. .http://www.sandiegovoice.org/lpr.html Here is the site that explains LPR. I guess its just a fancy name for what we have going on with our vocal chords. It really explains everything very well and shows pictures of the nodules.
My Dr. today switched me to Nexium which he said is the "cadillac" of reflux meds. Even though I will have to pay for it, thats ok. It hurts a lot to talk. How long did it take for yours to get better? I was told it could take up to 6 months and sometimes they have to give a steroid injection in your throat or laser them off. Sounds positively awful to me!!! Thanks a lot for your help! Jody
Unread 06-15-2004, 05:24 PM

My doctor told me there is no cure. You have to manage it. It took me 3 years to get where I was at my Jan. 2004 checkup which was the best one I have had so far. My doctor also wants me to have an upper GI check every 5 years; I had one a little over 2 years ago. It is weird as I have no pain or discomfort, but I know it is there as I can still feel the reflux go up my throat. I hope the Nexium will work for you.
Unread 06-16-2004, 12:42 AM

Hi Jodys,

I have gerd and hae been told my sore throats are from that too. I only get them when i'm out of my meds. I now use omeprazole 20mg twice a day. It's a generic prilosec presciption, so my ins. only makes me pay a 15$ amonth co-pay. I tried the protonics once and it cause so much gas that it upset my IBS. I hope you find relief soon!
Unread 06-16-2004, 01:08 AM
gerd

have u placed the head of your bed on blocks? this helps much more than sleeping propped up....
Unread 06-16-2004, 07:20 AM

Low levels of estrogen also increase stomach acid problems. Without estrogen, the stomach empties more slowly.

I had throat surgery because the hyst intubation damaged my vocal chords and the GERD post-surgery, pre-HRT made it so they couldn't heal. Prilosec worked for me when recovering from throat surgery and it's OTC now. Nexxium is fancy Prilosec (Prilosec ran through its proprietary license so they needed a way to have a new "purple pill" that they could charge through the nose with). While Nexxium is better, it's not hugely different from Prilosec, so iyou might try it if you can't afford the Nexxium.

It's no fun.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway