HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bluntly:  Leaking fluid from vagina--help! Bluntly: Leaking fluid from vagina--help!

Unread 11-24-2000, 08:36 PM
Bluntly: Leaking fluid from vagina--help!

I had a TAH mid September this year. Recovery was going great until about 4th week. I developed what felt like menstrual cramps and had much pain walking, like things had dropped down. Then I started leaking--I thought this was bladder incontinence for a week or so, until I discovered it was coming from my vagina--graphically this fluid is clear to yellowish and was in large quantities (heavy flow pads needed). I was put on macrobid for possible bladder infection. This took care of pain it seemed, but fluid is still leaking 6 weeks later but I can now use mini-pads. I had a bladder dye test done--where they insert a tampon after injecting blue dye in bladder. Nothing showed up on tampon except a little yellowish fluid. So it is not bladder, was told it might be ureter connected to top of vagina somehow. Eegads!! I go back in two weeks--right in middle of Holidays. Has anyone heard of such a thing?? Any help of direction would be much appreciated! Other than this "leak" I feel great (as long as I'm on Macrobid--without it I feel like I've been punched many times in stomach).

Thanks for any help!!
Unread 11-25-2000, 08:13 AM

Sweetie, I'm glad to see that you will be going to the doctors about this. Please remember to stand firm and get those answers that you deserve!! You can not stay on this medication forever and there is definately something that needs to be discovered. Will they be able to x-ray you and look for the culprit of your problems? Please know that I'm thinking of you....keep me posted!
Unread 11-25-2000, 04:00 PM

Hi Michigan,
I wish I had some answers that could help you. Hopefully your Docs will get this figured out quickly. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope things get better soon
Unread 11-25-2000, 05:08 PM

I recently had my surgery Nov. 15. Everything was going fine until last night (11/24) and the leaking started. It is so much that I bought Depends to wear. I didn't know if this was a side effect from surgery or what. So I guess I'll contact my Doctor Monday. I was to have a check up on Weds. I'm glad I found this forum.
Unread 11-25-2000, 05:26 PM

Thank you for your thoughts Cyd and Sheri,..
Szclous, as you know, I totally understand! When I first started having this I had pain in lower abdomen that got worse as I walked around. Did/do you have this? I also felt like my bladder area was burning a bit (not like I needed to go to the bathroom, but up higher). Can I ask what your symptoms are, if any, beyond the leakage. I was doing super up until about 3 weeks. I actually went on a trip to Mall of America--sounds stupid now, but the doctor said I was doing great and could walk just fine. About 4 days after i got back the minor leakage turned big time--and I too tiptoed over to the Depends section. My "leak" is now controllable with 2 regular tampons a day. But doesn't seem to be getting any better from here.

Well, I will keep you posted, please do the same! Good luck!

Unread 11-25-2000, 08:50 PM

Hi Michigan,

Just wanting you to know that I'm eagerly anticipating this problem getting taken care of, and looking forward to your letting us know how things go.

Just curious for the sake of other sisters having a TAH...what did your trip entail? A long car ride? Lots of time on your feet? A day with little rest? If you don't mind elaborating, it might help others to know what to avoid at that stage in recovery. This is not to make you feel guilty in any way. I have discovered that some Drs. may not give enough guidance on what we can or can't do post-op, and I (as well as others here) have had to learn much through the experiences of others on this site.

Please know we are thinking of you, and hope you get this resolved very soon!

My very best to you...

Linda
Unread 11-26-2000, 08:49 PM

Dear Linda,

My trip did not seem too strenuous at the time--a one hour plane ride. Then we stayed at a hotel to rest--instead of my friend with four young children. I did have days that I walked a lot--like Mall of America--but I often just sat on a bench while my son and husband went off and rode rides--I was your classic "little old lady".

I will keep all of you posted if any answers are discovered!

Unread 11-26-2000, 10:56 PM

Wow you and I are on the same page/wild unique challange along with Paula1. Again the difference is you both are post surgery.
What does it smell like? Also mine is definatly yellow without putting it under a light.
I will be seeing a new doc this Tues. hopefully he will know what is going on, and suggesting a soulution even if it is a hyster. I am now ready for it.
Keep me posted to whatever you find out and/or if you have any suggestions for questions for the doc.
Have a good evening
Unread 11-27-2000, 12:39 AM

Hi Michigan,

Thanks for replying to my questions. Your trip doesn't sound "strenuous" as such, but I know I couldn't have done that at 3 weeks without some discomfort. Lots of sitting in and of itself is an activity that early, as it puts much pressure on internal stitches...lots of healing is going on where ligaments have been reattached, etc. Sounds like a lot of walking, too.

Please try to get lots of rest with your feet UP...this is your one chance to heal properly. I look forward to hearing further reports...take care!

Linda
Unread 11-29-2000, 04:32 PM
I had the same thing too!

Hello Michigan,
I too am from Michigan, and I had a total hysteroctomy. @ weeks after surgery, I was feeling wonderful, then the leakage started. I began to pee out of the vaginia. It was a funcky feeling. I went to the Dr. office, and sure enough, there was a tear in the bladder. So I went to the urlogist and they confirmed it! I had to have oter tests, like a IVP to see if the ureter tube was also effected byt he surgery. Thankfully it was not! BUT, the OBGYN Dr. stiched to close to the ureter tube and made a terrible s haped kink in it. My left kidney was inflammed because it was no draining right. Boy I was mad! I had to have a stent put in to help it drain. Meanwhile, I has been wearing a catheter in me for 5 weeks to get the bladder to heal. SO far, it is healing, but still needs a way to go. I sure do not want another surgery!! They took out the stent a week ago, and the Dr. said the hole in my blader is looking good, but I still have to have another IVP to make sure the ureter tube is staying open. I tell you what a mess this has been. Dec 11th I go for the IVP again. But yes, you can have a tear in the ureter tube, and leak. Luckly I did not have that . I just had a terrible kink and a torn bladder. So that is my story....Please keep posting about your progress.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.