HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Facial Hair Question Facial Hair Question

Unread 06-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Facial Hair Question

I'm fair skinned, blue eyes, freckles, a real paleface. I was born with red hair, but over the years it's more like strawberry dishwater blonde-ish?

Anyway - I have this facial hair problem on my chin, have had it for years. Never really thought of it as more than a cosmetic problem until I one summer had a windfall of cash and decided to see one of those laser hair removal places run by a dermatologist. After 3 rather painful treatments, I didn't find ANY change in the amount of hair on my chin and I pretty much gave up on it. During my third treatment, the technician made an off-hand remark about "Well, in the future when you have an ovary go out of balance on you again, come back and we'll zap your hair for you." Of course, this would be at about $500 per treatment, thanks but no thanks.

When my menstrual problems were being investigated, my primary care physician did a complete blood workup that included hormone levels. She said I had plenty of estrogen - showed I was still ovulating, and that I had plenty of testosterone - so I had no libido problems, etc. Nothing seemed to be out of balance there when she reviewed the results with me.

But still I have this thick (as in per hair very stout) growth of dark hair that comes up on my chin if I'm not after it with razor or tweezers or nair or something on a regular basis. I'm 46 - I don't want to look like a little old MAN.

Anybody else out there find that a health care professional had some treatment that was helpful for getting rid of female beard or mustache?
Unread 06-20-2004, 02:14 PM
Facial Hair Question

I have the same problem...except I am a brunette.

DO NOT shave!! It makes them worse.....try aveno with soy...it actually lightens the thickeness and makes it less noticable...my sister waxes hers...

The soy lotion works for me.

reeni
Unread 06-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Facial Hair Question

I come from a long line of "we shaggy beastie" hairy women. Must be our Swedish blood. I brought up the hair problem with my Dr. one time and he said it can run in the genes also.

My grandmother, my mom, my sisters, me and even my DD have a problem with facial hair.

I did electroylosis (sp) for 2 years. It still grew back. My DD did one session of laser removal and didn't go back. The nurse explained it works better with really dark, coarse hair and usually the patient has dark hair on their head. My DD is blond and fair like me - and like you!! So - a bummer.

I have waxed and shaved also. My mom lets her chin get the "witch-croney" thing going before she goes for a wax. Gotta love her!!
Unread 06-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Facial Hair Question

Thanks for letting me know it's not "just me"!

I remember that my mom spent the better part of my teenage years with her face buried in a mirror while the rest of us watched tv as she plucked. So, maybe it is genetic, although my light hair comes from my Dad's side of the family - he's Danish. (now for the funny part - he can't grow a satisfactory beard to save his life!)

I'll give the soy product a try - it's just too stout of hairs to get by with bleaching that's for sure.
Unread 06-20-2004, 04:12 PM
Facial Hair Question

For some of us its heriditary - I was called Gorilla girl in elementary school and I begged my mom to let me shave my legs. I've always had lots of facial hair starting in adolescence. My daughter is 15 and she has the same problem. My two sons grow beards and chest hair like a grizzly bear.

I tweeze and tweeze.
Unread 06-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Facial Hair Question

LOL since my hyst..my nephew said to me you used to look like vampira (long black hair and anemic) now you've taken on the wolfman look...GRRRR
Hair and nails have gone wild! I just use it as an excuse (not that I need one) to pamper myself with salon treatment ..gotta love those wax and manicures..can't neglect the tootsies either

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.