HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > There's No Place Like Home

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How to whiten yellowed linens? How to whiten yellowed linens?

Unread 06-22-2004, 07:02 PM
How to whiten yellowed linens?

I have several old lovely pillowcases that my grandmother embroidered. Over the years they have become yellowed. I dare not use Clorox on them, as it will bleach/fade the beautiful embroidery. Does anyone have a good remedy to brighten old and yellowed white linens?
Unread 06-22-2004, 11:56 PM

Hi Shelley,

How wonderful that you have these treasures from your grandmother!

How about using OxiClean? I guess I'd try it first on something you own that's not special, just to test it, but I think it's supposed to be colorsafe.
Also, do people still use bluing? Not sure if that'd be appropriate here...hmmmmmmmm, just wondering.

Good luck!

xena
Unread 06-23-2004, 09:37 AM

Shelley: Have you tried hydrogen peroxide? I use it to get out almost every stain. It works so much better than bleach and doesn't harm the fabric.

Lora
Unread 06-23-2004, 09:38 AM

Hi xena

I did try bluing----didn't help much. I'll give the Oxyclean a try.

Thanks for your input!

Unread 06-23-2004, 09:44 AM

Hi Lora

What is the "recipe" for hydrogen peroxide---do you use it straight, or dilute it with water?

Thanks so much!
Unread 06-23-2004, 09:49 AM

Shelley: I just use it straight. It removes most any stain even blood, red wine and mildew.
Unread 06-25-2004, 09:29 PM

I just had the same problem today........ yellowing on white shirts that are older and handed down....... lovely...... I was about to try the peroxide treatment, when I spied some "Shout" gel in my laundry cabinet...... so I used this....... worked great !! No more yellow !!! btw: it is great on blood, wine, grass and coffee stains!!! I swear by it !!
Unread 07-29-2004, 11:59 AM

I use Oxyclean on everything!! I use baby oil as a moisturizer and it makes my bras turn grey. I soak my bras in hot water and oxyclean for a few hours in the machine, wash as usual and they are nice and white!! Takes the yellow out of things as well!!
Unread 07-29-2004, 12:05 PM

There is a product called BIZ, which is pretty hard to find....I get it at Kmart. It's a powder laundry whitener. When I had my daughter, my mom pulled out my old baby clothes to let her use but they were very yellowed. You just put a scoop of Biz in the washer, make sure it's dissolved, add your clothes, and let soak for about 30 minutes. Then you add your regular liquid detergent to it and continue washing as normal. This always worked for me. It even got out the formula stains that were impossible to get out. It's very gentle, so you shouldn't have to worry about it harming your linens. Hope this helps.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.