HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

I just took out my catheter how long to pee help I just took out my catheter how long to pee help

Unread 06-22-2004, 11:52 PM
Angry - I just took out my catheter how long to pee help I just took out my catheter how long to pee help

Please help I had surgery on friday the 18th. tvt and rectocele and I hurt so much. Sent me home on Saturday and I had to seld cath myself.Yesterday I had to go to ER because I could not do it any more!!! They put in catheter with leg bag. Well It has been burning so bad a I was leaking urine and blood, so I took it out. Well I'm praying I will be able to go on my own please.......... I'm so afraid. Does anyone know how long it could take to pee after you remove the catheter. My Doctor says It should Have only taken a couple days after surgery and he says it's normal not to go due to all the swelling??? Is this true. I go to see him on Thursday and he was going to take it out then but I couln't wait due to the pain burning and itching( I'm allergic to latex) I guess If I can't go then He has to go back in to loosen the mesh. I don't want to have to do that.
Unread 06-23-2004, 12:21 PM
I just took out my catheter how long to pee help

I had a bladder sling put in and I had the cathater for about a week and 2 days. I could pee fine on my own and thankfully didn't need to self cath. I did develop a bladder infection though, after self cathing twice.

You really need to go see your dr as soon as possible if you are in pain and cannot urinate on your own!!! Did you stop the self cathing because of pain, or some other problem? If its pain, the dr can give your pyridium to help numb the urethra.

Please call your dr now!!
Unread 06-23-2004, 04:03 PM

(((Venessa))) , please call your DR right away and go get seen, or get to the ER. You may not be ready to have the catheter out yet so soon after surgery. I had a catheter at home for one week after my hysterectomy; by the time I removed it (by DR's orders), I was able to urinate within a few minutes of taking it out.

Oh, and if you go to the ER, make sure you tell them before they cath you that you are allergic to latex... they may have an alternate set of tubing they use in those cases.

Let us know how it goes, OK? We are worried about you!
s,
-Linda
Unread 07-01-2004, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the support . Had my sister take it out for me and I could go on my own. I actually cried because I could go on my own. Happy cry!!!! The catheter really hurt me. Now I just wonder how long to heal. This is really making me sooooo depressed. Also, Does any one know if it's normal to have vaginal discharge after this type of surgery? They did not pack me at all and it's been two weeks and I have a yellow watery discharge and alot of it. My Dr does not seem to give me any answers, or maybe I'm just so sick of this that I am not listening to him I don't know. I just wanted to thank you for caring. I do believe that this site,and all of the beautiful,caring ladies that are here are actually saving LIVES of some of us that are so emotionally devastaded and deppressed over these operations and recovery periods. Thank you again. Lots of love to all of you!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.