HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How does HRT affect cholesterol and blood pressure??? How does HRT affect cholesterol and blood pressure???

Unread 07-09-2004, 03:26 PM
How does HRT affect cholesterol and blood pressure???

How does HRT affect cholesterol and blood pressure? I have high cholesterol (genetic) and since I had my surgery in January - I have quit smoking, gained 10 lbs and my cholesterol is skyrocketing - it's now up to 265. My dr is telling me to watch my diet closely - which I am but it's still going up! Plus I always have had really low blood pressure - and now it is on the high side - last check was 147/84 and the dr is watching it carefully. It used to always be somewhere around 97/64. Is this all related to HRT?

This has me really concerned!

s
Kay
Unread 07-09-2004, 07:39 PM

Well, the official line is that hrt should not be used for cardiopreventiion.

That said, in individual cases, some women have found that their BP goes up or their LDL rises when they go on/off off hrt.

If your cholesterol level is genetic - I doubt it is the hrt.

Are you seeing a cardiologist? Are you on a statin?

Dorrie
Unread 07-10-2004, 08:17 AM
HRT-cholesterol

I was always tested on the low side of the cholesterol number. But a year after my hysterectomy I was testing 233, way too high. The doctor wants me under 200, and is lowering it with me changing my diet. I have lost 7lbs, and hopefully lowered my cholesterol #. But I do wonder if the estrogen patch has anything to do with this. surf cjic
Unread 07-10-2004, 11:58 AM

Dorriel - well yes my high cholesterol is genetic; however, it has never been this high before! My internal medicine dr had me go for a stress test with a cardiologist prior to my surgery and everything was fine. I do not currently take a statin - have always controlled it with diet which is what my dr wanted me to do - she never wanted to put me on medication unless she just absolutely had to. I'm scheduled to have it checked again in September - so I hope that both my cholesterol and blood pressure are both down some by then!

surf cjic - I'm sorry that you are having the same things happen - you're doing great losing the weight on the dr's diet - I bet your numbers are coming down too! Keep us posted!

s
Kay

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.