HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

fibroids...fatigue? fibroids...fatigue?

Unread 07-12-2004, 07:36 PM
fibroids...fatigue?

any women out there with fibroids get extremely fatigue at times?
just wondering because I have fibroids and thats one of my most annoying symptoms besides the peeing..lol
Unread 07-12-2004, 08:36 PM
fibroids...fatigue?

Fibroids can cause problems with excessive menstrual bleeding. Have you been checked for anemia? Anemia can certainly make you feel tired.

--Liz P
Unread 07-12-2004, 10:29 PM
fibroids...fatigue?

Tanya,

I was more tired with fibroids also. Before I was diagnosed, I just chalked it up to getting older. I wasn't anemic and I was too pooped to party!!!

Now...in post op...my energy level and health are back. If I am tired, it is for another reason. I am just doing too much and staying up late.

Good Luck. The side effects from fibroids can be challenging.
Unread 07-12-2004, 10:38 PM
fibroids...fatigue?

Hi Tanya, Yes indeed. Fibroids definitely made me totally fatigued before surgery. I noticed it so much because I work out every day and it was getting harder and harder to keep up with my daily exercise routine. The fibroids were zapping me of my energy.

Good luck to you.~Moonchime
Unread 07-12-2004, 11:09 PM
fibroids...fatigue?

Hi Ladies,

Well that was good to hear! I don't know what is getting me down most, the pain and pressure from the fibroid and 12 week uterus or the bleeding! I feel like I have been drained!

Glad I read your post, I was beginning to think that I was a big baby!
I am not anemic at the present time. But, due to the Bleeding the Doctor started me on Iron Pills. Boy, talk about shock my system.
It's seems to have made things worse.

Mary
Unread 07-12-2004, 11:22 PM
fibroids...fatigue?

Absolutely. I had fibroids that made my uterus the size of a 5-month pregnancy by the time I had surgery. That had grown gradually over a 3 year period. I used to love to work out and jog regularly and led a very active lifestyle until the fibroids finally got the best of me and sapped me of my energy. I didn't have anemia, but I know the fibroids sapped my energy. I was also in a lot of discomfort and started to feel like my nerves and circulation were being affected in my legs... they constantly ached. I also had bad headaches almost daily by the time I finally was able to have my TAH. I would try to clean my kitchen and start to cry because I was too tired and uncomfortable to finish it. All of that led to depression too... since I felt like I was not able to be myself and just be "normal". It was awful considering my natural personality is very positive, happy and effervescent.

At 7 weeks today, I feel sooooo much better than I used to. I am not at 100% energy level yet, but it's already much better than it was before surgery and seems to be getting better all the time. I went to town on my house last weekend. I didn't get everything done that I wanted to, but I did so much more than I used to be able to. "Real me", I'm almost there!

Jwlz
Unread 07-12-2004, 11:32 PM
fibroids...fatigue?

I had fibroids that affected me in a few different ways. I was starting to have back pain and since surgery that is gone. It was like pressure on my back and was really bad when I layed down. I also had pain after intercourse it got to be where poor dh and I hardly had relations because of it. but that was only the last few months before surgery. Also I became anemic because of heavy periods which the fibroids can cause. over all glad I had surgery and still recovering at 6 weeks post op

Bekl
Unread 07-12-2004, 11:36 PM
fibroids...fatigue?

Jwlz

That was funny to hear you say that, about your legs! I was just telling my DH tonight that, I was having a lot of discomfort in my legs, and I didn't know if it was the nerves in my legs or the veins. It's been getting worse the last two weeks and I was wondering if it had anything to do with the fibroids.

Glad to hear that your feeling your " Real Self", again!
I am looking forward to that day!!

Mary
Unread 07-13-2004, 12:19 AM
fibroids...fatigue?

Yeah.......I had no idea prior to the surgery that the fibroids were draining me. I had no symptoms. Just thought being sluggish and getting a spare tire was part of the aging thing......until a routine pelvic. My doc was shocked at what he felt when he palpated my abdomen (I guess denial is a very strong thing.....). I was very tightly packed with multiple grapefruit-sized fibroids, not to mention my uterus full of "golf balls". Now that I am 11 weeks postop and still experiencing some recovery fatigue, I am STILL more energetic than I have been in 10 years! The best part...........I do not have to pee all the time and I do not leak when I sneeze!!!!! Guess the affect of those buggers just sneak up on you very slowly over time. I am so happy that I had this surgery. Was scared to death before I had it, though.......

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.