HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Internal stitches/When do they dissolve? Internal stitches/When do they dissolve?

Unread 12-01-2000, 09:36 PM
Internal stitches/When do they dissolve?

Hi...I am 2 1/2 weeks postop from TVH/kept ovaries. My first week didnt seem so bad (Drug induced I am sure) then the second week came around and I was wiped out, still am! I am no longer on pain killers, ran out at day 10. I take some motrin, some tylenol, occasionally an aleve. I am achy, my hips hurt, my groin area pinches, I have side aches, etc. Now, I have heard that the 3rd week the internal stitches start to dissolve. Is that correct? What can I expect? Will they fall out? Or actually disappear? Does it smell bad? Or worse than it does already?
I have read so many messages and asked so many questions that now I am CONFUSED. I guess I could call the doctor...Thats another thing, does anyone feel like they are interrupting their doctors if they call them? I have called twice since surgery. Once to ask about pain killers, and second to request surgical AND pathology report.
Anyhow...I am tired of being tired and I am just waiting for the next part of recovery to come around.
Sincerely, tander
11/14/00 TVH/kept ovaries
Unread 12-01-2000, 09:48 PM

Dear Tander:
I was told that your internal stitches start to come out at 2 weeks post - op which can cause cramping as for how they come out they dissolve into your body, so I don't believe that you will see anything. But I was also told that your stitches can take up to 6 months to dissolve. The more you have I guess the longer it takes to heal. Did you get a refill on your pain meds for emergencies? I have read of other women on this site that have done that. I can't do that because I have a whole other issue with that subject. But please do not feel that you are interupting your dr because I read something true on this site that I am using now. "We've already paid them, so they need to be there for us" Take care.
Randi
Unread 12-02-2000, 02:59 AM
Hi tander

i know this isn't exactly the same thing but i thought i would tell ya anyway.
i had a laperoscopy done in june. a minor thing. i had 3 little cuts, held togather with steristrips. and of course there were stiches inside. they told me that i could take a bath (can't live without them) after a week. well about 2 weeks later the little strips were gone and i took a bath. the incesion in my belly button gapped open. it was so gross. the stitches inside were sticking out. i didn't hurt but was yucky. i called the dr on call and he actually said "don't worry about it,its not like your guts are going to spill out of the hole" yea that made me feel lots better. after that i had to swab the area with alcohol and a q-tip. i know its not the same but it was about a week before those nasty stitches that were comming out of my belly button went away. i guess everyone is different. sorry for the gross story i just had to tell ya
hugs,
nocluegirl
Unread 12-02-2000, 10:26 AM

I have heard the "3 week stitch disolving" as well. My doctor also told me that my stitches could take up to 6 months (or longer) to disolve. Maybe different doctors use different suture materials? I'd call your doctor's office and ask. My doctor's nurse can usually answer my questions -- so you might start with the nurse.

I'm 6 1/2 weeks post op now, and haven't had any unexpected pains that I can attribute to stiches disolving -- although I do have some sudden sharp "twinges" in different spots in my abdomen now and again. They never last long (a few seconds).

Best of luck to you in your recovery!!
Unread 12-02-2000, 11:59 AM

Tander - I had tah/bso 3/22 and still had internal stitches at my 4 week post op appt. I didn't see any "come out"..so they must of just dissolved. I did have strange pains and twinges 4 -6 weeks while stitches were dissolving.
Unread 12-03-2000, 02:11 PM

hi everyone...I have this strange rolling under the skin feeling that has little electrical type sensations..like that feeling you get when you get static electricity...and it causes mild contraction sensations. I was told this was the muscles and nerves binding back together.I suppose they could be refered to as twinges...so this may be the tissues healing as well as stitches disolving....thats good news!!
Unread 12-03-2000, 11:13 PM
Hi Tander,

I'll be nine weeks post op tomorrow. At my six week checkup my dr said I still had some stiches. He said I had healed fine and gave me the go ahead for sex.

Wishing you a quick recovery!
Unread 12-04-2000, 08:22 AM
Smell...I understand

Hi Tander

Its is funny you asked the question on stitches, I have had a different experience then the others. One day I went to the bathroom and I found a light blue piece of thread, the type they use for stitches. My body has always rejected "inner" stitches. So you may or may not be able to see them. I guess each person is different.

I know what you mean by the smell, HORRENDOUS isn't it??? I asked my doctor about it and he said we are not worrying about that right now. Easy for him to say he wasn't the one running around stinking. He told me that it is to be expected there is blood and stitches in that area and there will be a odor. Mine was so bad that I wouldn't leave the house unless I took a bath right before. I didn't stay out very long either.

I'm ending my 5th week and it is finally easeing up still there but not as bad. So fresher air is on the way dear.HAHAHAHAHA

Good luck and hope to see you post again

adifferentme
Unread 12-04-2000, 04:10 PM

Hi Tander,
I am 20 weeks today post op. At my 6 week checkup, I still had some internal stiches. That is why my DH and I waited 2 extra weeks before we started having sex again. Mine didn't come out but I think I did have a little bit of a smell maybe from them dissolving or just the healing that happens during this time. No unusual pain with the stitches dissolving. At 20 weeks, I am feeling fine and have no post effects from the surgery. 1 more month to go and I am at my 6 month mark.
Unread 12-04-2000, 05:37 PM
stitches

with all this talk about the internal stiches, has anyone had an unusual amount of discharge with this. I'm at 12 weeks tomorrow (vaginal hysterectomy) and STILL have a lot of yellow discharge. So much, in fact that I'm still wearing mini-pads. I gave up my 6 days a month of wearing a pad for what is beginning to seem like a lifetime of wearing one.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.