HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How quickly do bioidentical hormone creams start working? How quickly do bioidentical hormone creams start working?

Unread 07-17-2004, 07:37 PM
How quickly do bioidentical hormone creams start working?

Hi,
I picked up my Biest cream, progesterone cream and testosterone liquid yesterday and applied the Biest cream (1 mg) and progesterone cream (1 mg) last night along with taking 0.1 ml of the testosterone liquid. This morning I applied only the progesterone cream and it's almost time for me to apply both the Biest and the progesterone cream and take the testosterone.

I've looked through all the information that the pharmacy gave me as well as Women's Intl Pharmacy and I don't see anything about how quickly this is supposed to work. I've continued having hot flashes today and I have a headache now but I attribute that to my inability to turn off the LifeTime channel..two terribly sad movies in a row that caused the fountain of tears to flow!

Can anyone enlighten me on how quickly (or slowly) I can expect results? I'd like to get rid of this anxiety, the hot flashes/night sweats, the mental fuzziness and forgetfulness, etc.

Thanks!
Unread 07-17-2004, 09:14 PM

I too went on the same type replacements you are using and it took a good three to 6 months for them to work where I noticed but then I was initially,completely devoid of any of them according to my bloodwork. Then I got a bad batch of the progesterone cream and in about a month, I started feeling really worse again and could not sleep. It is the only thing that helps me get much needed sleep. The bad thing is that I broke out with a really severe case of shingles( from going through so much stress I guess) and now have some really painful nerve damage also. I think I suffered more from the lack of the progesterone because my body was so low already. My doctor told me that it usually takes about two to three months to start feeling better and that you might have some nausea from the progesterone but not to stop using it. This will subside. Remember it is the "baby" hormone and helps to make one nauseous when first becoming pregnant. Hope this helps. I am still working on some other issues but the testosterone drops really did work. I rarely use them now.
Unread 07-17-2004, 09:19 PM
PS

I don't know how soon you can expect to get over the mental fuzzies and anxiety. I am still dealing with these but we have not given up yet. I am patient with myself but I find that others are not as patient and I have to set them straight up front because my processing of information is still really deficient. I have some speech problems also if I feel pressured to hurry up with what I am saying. Sorry did not see the last part of your question. Goes with the territory I guess.
Unread 07-17-2004, 11:02 PM

Thanks for your reply! I didn't realize that it would take that long to "kick in". Good grief. I was hoping to get quicker relief but that's the way it goes. I was also very deficient in all 3 areas and I have been dealing with "symptoms" for quite a long while. I had a partial bilateral oophorectomy in '95 and my doctor put me on hormone therapy back then thinking I wouldn't produce any estrogen but I did and we stopped the therapy as it didn't work anyway. Everything was fine until about 2002 when I started feeling hot flashes every once in a great while then last year it went away completely for 6 months (along with my period). It was glorious! However it's back with a vengeance along with other lovely symptoms like constant bloating.

One thing I'm worried about with the testosterone, is that it might increase the amount of hair on my face. I've already got - what I think is an overabundance of hair on my face. It's very light but since I put my makeup on while I'm about 2 inches away from the mirror, I see it up close. Every time I use Nair or a similar product on my face, I notice that my skin gets really irritated afterwards and then it feels numb for a few days. Perhaps I'm allergic to whatever chemical they use. I don't know of any other way to get rid of all that peach fuzz.

Frankly, I'm not sure why I need the testosterone but perhaps using it along with the other two makes a difference. I don't know.

Thanks again for your reply.
Unread 07-17-2004, 11:45 PM
testosterone

Sorry I didn't explain about the testosterone drops. I had none in my system and I had absolutely no physical desire nor could I feel anything anyway. This went on for over a year. My skin was simply devoid of any sensation. And I had not have this problem before the surgery. I could use up to 5 drops at a time under the tongue and I found that after a while it did make my skin break out. Since I had that problem all my life, I didn't want to have it again, so I have been careful not to use too much of it. Not everyone needs it. Gail
Unread 07-18-2004, 08:50 AM

HI

I know each of us is different so we will feel the results of things at a different rate, however I wanted to share I felt the results of my creme almost immediately.

I was started out on a much higher dose than you bi-est 5 mg and progesterone 100 mg. testosterone 2 mg.(I did have to change these a few times in the beginning)

The first night I used it I slept like a baby for the first time in months. My hot flashes went away within a couple of days and my libido returned immediately.

It did take a few weeks to feel the full effects of everything such as my memory coming back, my moods to even out, the anxiety to stop, energy level returning etc.

Just hang in there and maybe keep a daily journal of how you are feeling. The hot flashes should not have to take that long to go away. Remember somtimes adjustments are neccesary and that is why it is good to keep a journal so you can track your symptoms easier.

I use a creme that I buy at Sally's beauty supply store called Surgi-creme (extra gentle) It is wonderful for the peach fuzz on your face
Take care
Unread 07-18-2004, 04:07 PM
journaling

I was reminded that keeping a journal is really a good idea and not just for documenting symptoms. I kept one intensly for the first year and periodically since because it gives me a place to vent my feelings, to remember the little bits of progress and such so my poor hubby did not have to listen ALL the time. I can look back into the depths of despair I was in and see where I began to have hope. When your memory is really bad like mine was and is, it helps to revisit things so you can actually see your progress. I never had to write things down to remember them and am having trouble making lists because it isn't yet a habit. I lose the list, or just forget to make one or make several and lose all of them.:confuse: I have to ask people to remind me of things if I don't have paper with me and to go slowly when giving directions, etc. This is just the "new woman" and I don't know her yet.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.