HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

hormones and tanning beds hormones and tanning beds

Unread 07-19-2004, 03:36 PM
hormones and tanning beds

The tanning salon I just started going to warned me that hormones affect skin and coloration. Is it safe to tan while on HRT? I'm on combi-patch, which has estrogen and progestin.

Does this mean I'm at increased risk for burning, or will tanning not worK?

Laura
Unread 07-19-2004, 04:02 PM

Laura,
Yes, estrogen does make your skin more sensitive to the sun. Here's a few interesting threads with some info:
Hrt and the tanning bed

Tanning booths and Cenestin

Just my worth, I would be very careful. I have found my skin to freckle alot more than usual and I always try to remember to use sunscreen before going out in the sun.

Unread 07-19-2004, 05:52 PM

Hi Laura---

Yes, being on HRT effects how our skin reacts to tanning rays. I would recommend that you be very careful about tanning. I know we all love to have that healthy glow. I've had to resort to using a tan out of the bottle, as my skin just will not tolerate sun anymore. I'm quite a bit older than you, however, but since I"m in the business of skincare.....I see a lot of ladies with skin damage/older looking skin because of too much tanning.....so please be careful and use tanning beds in moderation, if at all.

's
Unread 07-19-2004, 08:55 PM
tanning bed

I have tanned in the tanning bed because my gyn told me that would be fine and I have figured out that the hormone patches have intensified my tanning I tan well to begin with but this is making me tan alot quicker. I have not had any problems with my skin or anything. I am on the Vivelle Dot .075
Unread 07-20-2004, 08:58 AM

HI

I never use to burn before I was on HRT. I have an olive complextion and always tanned very nice. I do notice that I burn very quick now. I do use tanning beds on occasions but I can not go in as long as I use to or I will burn.

A suncreen is always good to use. I use one now and can still tan nice with it.
Unread 07-20-2004, 09:08 AM

hi
while i was on just estrogen I had alot of trouble tanning - all i seemed to do was burn. Even after months of going 3 times a week for 15 minutes i was always red for 2 days after. Once i began taking the testosterone I began to tan like i did when i was younger- no burning even after hours in the pool. I cant speak for progesterone though- i am not taking it regularly.
Unread 07-20-2004, 12:35 PM

How funny you should ask this! When I first started my compounds, people told me constantly how DARK I was! I tan well, but seemed to absorb more rays or something. I asked at my gtanning place, and they said yes...hormones can make your skin take sun differently. After I got balanced...I now am back to my "normal" tanning ways.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway