HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Has anyone ever tried over the counter estrogen pills.... Has anyone ever tried over the counter estrogen pills....

Unread 07-22-2004, 05:44 PM
Has anyone ever tried over the counter estrogen pills....

My SIL told me she takes some kind of estrogen pills that you can buy over the counter at wal- mart.....

Has anyone tried these-

She said her doctor wouldnt let her go on hormones for fear of getting breast cancer-

SO- how do I know what to do? I would rather take something that isnt going to even have breast cancer as a side effect....

Any suggestions ?
Unread 07-22-2004, 05:56 PM

Estrogen is not available over the counter. What your SIL is taking is probably some sort of supplement that perhaps helps with some of the symptoms of menopause. Ask her to read the ingredients on the back, probably has things such as black cohosh, red clover and many more things.

Anything sold over the counter claiming to be estrogen is not. You have to have a prescription to get any type of estrogen.

Unread 07-22-2004, 11:15 PM

As (((Kim))) said, estrogen is not available OTC, but there are many OTC preparations that contain phytoestrogens (plant estrogens) which can help with some symptoms of menopause. However, to the extent that they act like our own estrogen, they have the same risk profile as estrogen does. If you are at a high risk for breast cancer, I would not recommend taking any OTC menopausal symptom relief formulas unless your DR specifically approves.
s,
-Linda
Unread 07-23-2004, 04:35 PM
OTC plant estrogens

Hi - I can not take HRT because I got phlebitis within 3 weeks of starting the meds. I'm 8 weeks out from my surgery and was having terrible nights sweats so after checking with my Dr. I tried one of the plant estrogens available at WalMart. after about 10 days - no more night sweats. If I skip a couple of days, I get night sweats again - so at least for me, they are working and no phlebitis. Hope something works for you.
Unread 07-23-2004, 06:23 PM

Tag,
Do keep an eye on the phlebitis, as phlebitis can turn into blood clots and those that are prone to blood clots should not take hrt, pseudo or otherwise, at least that is what I have read. I'm kind of surprised that your doc recommended even the phytoestrogens.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.