HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions > Eating Right for Wellness

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Candida diet................. Candida diet.................

Unread 07-23-2004, 11:10 PM
Candida diet.................

Most of you will have read my misery posts in other forums, so now I am on Diflucan for 10 weeks (1 pill per week) then one a fortnight for 20 weeks, then, who knows.........my GYNO and the dietician said NOT to go on the Candida diet because my system is so run down it could kill me if I don't eat properly. So, I have, of my own accord, cut out sugar (no soft drinks, no fruit juices, no icecream, no biscuits, no sweets of any kind) also cut out milk (eat low fat or diet yoghurt - dietician says that quite OK to eat that), no bread, no pies/pasties, no pasta, no spaghetti, no baked beans (tinned) no crackers, no nuts, no chips (snack ones), no muesli bars (which I did like) eating some fruit, no dairy. Is popcorn (not sweetened OK?) Eating fish, chicken, beef, lamb, vegies, cup-a-soups occassionally, lavash bread, eggs, and drinking only WATER. And I am getting so sick of just water (don't like tea or coffee) What could I put in soy milk that will taste nice and have no sugar in it .........just to make something different to drink, hot or cold .have lost 3.5 stone since last Novr. GYNO says not to lose it too fast - I lost 3kgs in one week - he said I was starving myself to death. I am still overweight but look much better and have 7 pair of slacks to operate on so I can wear them and not look like "baggy". I am not diabetic (GTT test proved that) , but wonder if the foods diabetics eat (the low sugar ones) would be OK for me - gyno said "anything in moderation", but I have been in such pain for so long with this candida (in epidermus of urogenital skin caused by too many ABs - that's another story!), I have little appetite, but must eat to stay alive, and I am terrified that anything I eat might just make the candida flare up again. A lot of food you get in America is different to what we get in Australia as far as food goes, so any suggestions on basic foods would be appreciated. Tears are supposed to be theraputic - OMG I should be fully recovered by now with the amount of tears I have shed. My gyno wants to take me off estrogen when the implant runs out in Oct. because he says estrogen feeds candida - then what? Any advice gratefully received. Thankyou girls, so much.
Unread 07-24-2004, 10:23 AM

Hi!
Sorry to hear of your woes. I know that candida can be very hard to shift. There is a supplement here, that I have seen advertised in the UK. Something like dida supplement. I did read the article, but it was a few weeks ago.
I was interested in it, and intended to do more research, but haven't yet.
Hoping that you find some relief soon!
Unread 07-24-2004, 03:24 PM

Hi Kerry!

I had to page back to catch your name and what a pleasant surprise . . . I have a really good friend named Kerry . . . it's not a common name here (but she is of Irish descent). First lots of big s for you!

I have suffered with candida for years. My doctor tells me that you can not have candida issues without having an underlying autoimmune disease. Have you been diagnosed with any other conditions? In my case, I was diagnosed with celiac, an autoimmune disease caused by an allergy to gluten, a little over a year ago. All my life, I have suffered with chronic yeast infections. One dose of vaginal medication and/or Diflucan never did it--sometimes I was on these medications for weeks on end and still ended up with symptoms. I was even put on Flagyl and other stuff thinking it was more than a yeast infection. Truly eliminating sugar, yeast, and mold and fungus-based foods from your diets is the ultimate way to go. I can see a difference immediately when I cheat. You can eat items that diabetics eat such as the sugar-free candies if they agree with you. I could do fine eating one piece, but more than that and I had diarrhea. The sorbitol does not apparently agree with me. As far as the types of foods you should avoid, per my doctor, I am not supposed to eat sugar, honey, tea other than green tea, mushrooms, vinegar or vinegar-based foods, white potatoes or white potato-based foods, most fruits and fruit juices, alcohol, sodas, no dairy . . . that's all I can think of right now. I am allowed nuts, regular popcorn, sweet potatoes, apples, and pears, to name a few treats. Please do not limit yourself on the amount of food you eat, if you eat the right foods, you will lose weight anyway as your body will tell you when to stop eating. Also after the first week of weight loss, anthing over two lbs a week is lean muscle mass not fat--you don't want to lose lean muscle mass. (I am sorry that I don't know the conversion to stones.) Eating this way is how I lost 30 lbs. The more I cheat the less I lose (and even eventually gain) and the more I cheat the more all the yeastie beastie symptoms return. Candida for me is more than a vaginal infection. It is a systemic infection which causes me pain as if I had a bladder or kidney infection, such as lower back pain, and the other symptoms like frequent urination, etc. Fatigue is another big thing caused by sytemic candida.

In the US, we have a product called Candex that you take first thing in the morning and last thing at night on an empty stomach. If your stomach is empty, it will attack the yeast organisms. If your stomach is not empty, it is not effective. This product has helped me, but I am not taking it right now. Once I got over the hump, I have just relied on diet to keep the candida at bay.

Regarding estrogen, I do find that vaginal estrogen seems to aggravate the problem, but my doctor has just put me back on .5 mg Estrace (estradiol) and so far I am doing okay with that. There really are no wonder drinks or wonder foods when fighting Candida. When I am being faithful to the program, I say that I am eating to live vs living to eat. It is a big adjustment I know, but the results are worth it.

Also, you need to find out what your other underlying causes might be if your doctor hasn't told you of other conditions you have. <admin snip: per guidelines please keep support on the message boards> That is the only thing I know well. That is why I offer my experience in that area as others will attest to here. Please hang in there. I remember how sad and overwhelmed I was when I found out how dramatically my diet had to change to fight candida. Lots of the girls here on BEST got me through it. They are such a wonderful group !

Note, one reason that your doctor might say not to go on the candida diet is that it is very hard on your body at first to eliminate those foods. You go through a major detox. I was extremely fatigued. I could not work for several days and I slept a lot. Super milk thistle, epsom salt baths, steam baths, and acupuncture are things that can help you get through it. However, I suggest gradually weaning yourself from these foods so you don't go through a severe detox--maybe eliminating the bulk of the yeast-inducing foods, but still having some sugar each day at first, then every other day, and so on.

I'll be happy to help any why I can--<admin snip: please keep support on the message boards>
More s,
Shirley
Unread 07-24-2004, 09:51 PM

Kerry,
I'm sorry that you're having such a difficult time. I actually did very well the first time I went on the Candida diet. Along with the supplements and the meds the doc put me on I felt alot of relief. I did not feel like I was detoxing. My belly just felt better. Swelling went down. Sadly though, my problems continue. I just wanted to let you know that everyone is different and we can each have a different experience. You need to do what your doctor recommends and not what worked for someone else.

Have you tried different brands of soy milk?? Soy Silk makes a yummy cafe' latte that is to die for!!! West Soy has a no sugar added chocolate that is very yummy also. Perhaps that would be a nice change of pace for you, if it's allowed.

Unread 08-01-2004, 03:00 AM

Hi
I have (since my previous post) done a lot of research on candida, as apparently I have a lot of symptoms of it, yeast infections, permanently on antibiotics, aching joints, heartburn, wind, tiredness, anaemia, poor eyesight.
Investigations have resulted in a lot of good reports on a product called threelac (3lac) This is a product for the long haul, although some people have instant results.
Also, repopulation with pro-biotic is also beneficial after going on the candida diet. But I would presume would help anyway, with any fungal overgrowth.
I am going to find out via health shop this week about threelac, and if it is suitable, and I will report back, to let you know any results(assuming I buy it)
Unread 08-06-2004, 05:35 PM

Fran,
Were you able to find the threelac? I was curious about it. I recently started back up on some digestive supplements and my ultraflora. It's going slow, but I've seen some improvement. As long as I don't eat.

Do tell us what you've found out.

Unread 08-09-2004, 09:28 AM

For those of you who want to know more about probiotics, I will share a simple post that I responded to, which does contain some useful information. I do not know where I would be today without my probiotics. I cringe to imagine..... Here you go:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...86#post1015186

Hugs to you all,

Jackie
Unread 08-10-2004, 10:03 AM

Hi,
Well, I did go to the healthstore today, and luckily the owner was there, and he was very informative. He didn't stock threelac, its mainly available in USA.
What he did stock, and tell me all about, was a product called tri-blend Acidophilus Complex, with FOS.
He was very informative, telling me that repopulation is basically a marketing gimmick, as nothing much can live inside the stomach as it is designed to digest and destroy everything. (I took that with a pinch of salt)
However, I did buy this supplement to try, I have purchased a month's supply. I will try it for 3 months, as it is not very expensive, and will let you know how I get on, and if there is any improvement in my heartburn/wind/bloatedness. (I swear that on good days, if you stick a pin in me, I'll blow around the room, like a balloon)
Forgot to look up the gluten free bread What am I like??
Unread 08-10-2004, 03:12 PM

Hi Fran,

I don't know what the owner of your health food store has read, but Lactobacillus bacteria, among others are known to survive the onslaught of gastric acids and bile salts in the gut. This has been proven.

There are variables here, though. I believe they should always be taken on an empty stomach so they are not marinating in stomach acids too long and will have better survivability in the gut. Various bacteria have been tested in the various PH environments of the digestive system.

The brand you are taking contains a type of short-chain polymer called Fructooligosaccharides (FOS). This is termed a "pre-biotic", and is thought to be consumed by one of the other strains in your forumula, "bifidum" bacteria in the gut to ensure their survivability. For the product you are taking, I did not see a guaranteed analysis of live bacteria in it's formula. You could contact the company to ask questions about it's formulation, numbers of available, live bacteria and guarantee for survival of organisms and/or lab study.

There are so many health benefits from probiotics that it can't be denied anymore. Here is a search result for you. I was able to obtain a few good free sources for you that explain probiotics in full text or PDF format. I cannot attach my personal PDFs for you here. It's great reading --somewhat difficult, scientific material. However, you'll gain a good understanding from it.

Happy reading and good health to you!

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full...resourcetype=1

Hugs,

Jackie
Unread 08-11-2004, 10:05 AM

Hi
I should hasten to add, when talking about repopulation, we were referring to these gimmicky yoghurt drinks, and not food supplements.
The product I purchased has the 3 ingredients lactobacillus acidophilus, bifidobacterium bifidum, lactobacillus bulgaricus. The FOS is included as you say, to feed the strain.
The 3 ingredients, are all mentioned in the study, and they are also present in the 3lac, which as I say is USA based.I can buy it from the internet, but as its for a large quantity, I wanted to try it out first, before I spend a lot of money. As I said, its for the long haul.
Taken 3 so far, can't say I have noticed a big difference, other than the heartburn isnt as bad as it has been, but....its early days yet.
If I notice a big difference, I will let you know, I am hoping for a miracle maybe, but we shall see!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway