HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

ovary not seen in ultrasound ovary not seen in ultrasound

Unread 07-25-2004, 10:00 AM
ovary not seen in ultrasound

Hi, I'm 16 months postop of having a TAH leaving right ovary because of severe endo. The last few months I've been starting to having more migranes, warm flushes (not hot and bothersome YET) :-) cramping, mood swings etc. My gynocologist has done some bloodwork to see if I'm having menopause and also ordered a pelvic and transvaginal ultrasound - none of which I have the results yet.
When I had the ultrasounds done the technician said she couldn't see or find my right ovary - either it was too small or behind the bowel or possibly pulled out of sight by the endo. Has anyone ever been told this? She said if it had a cyst on it she'd be able to see it and she didn't appear to concerned. I asked her, if you can't see it then how do we know if it's healthy. She said that the doctor may order a scope. What is a scope???
Also, when I told my doctor I would not be interested in HRT he said there are natural therapies - can anyone shed light on these for me.
Thanks so much,
Wishing all good health.
Trish
Unread 07-25-2004, 10:07 AM

It is possible that the ovary is "hidden" behind the endo and possibly adhesions. I recently had my right ovary removed laparoscopically - when my doctor got inside the ovary was burried deep in adhesions and attached to the top of the vaginal cuff. You doctor may want to do laparoscopic surgery to examine your pelvic area.

You might want to check out the forum called No-Hormone Desert Oasis for Menopause Management for suppot for menopausal symptoms without hrt.

Take care.

S
Unread 07-25-2004, 10:33 AM

When I had my last US my doctor could not find my right ovary. I thought that was strange but he didn't seem concerned. We knew the left ovary was fused to the bowel from an earlier lap procedure and he found a large cyst on it. I went into my TAH knowing he would take the left ovary but not knowing about the right. He ended up leaving the right ovary saying it looked perfectly fine. Of course, we immediately discovered it wasn't working and I went into menopause (who knows, it may start again some day). I was having horrible night sweats/hot flashes and migraines. I really did not want to go on HRT so he suggested black cohosh and soy. There are risks associated with these supplements but I decided this was the route I wanted to try. So far it is working for me. Just talk to your doctor - he should outline all possibilities and the risks/benefits of each. Every person needs to find their own solution.

Kelly
Unread 07-25-2004, 03:02 PM

Trish,
I have heard of a remaining ovary being hard to find. I had the opposite experience. I was told my ovary was removed and has an ultrasound a few years later and the tech kept asking me if I was sure the ovary was removed. It appears either I had an ovarian remnant or the doc didn't remove the entire ovary. The body really is complex. And for those of us with problems I think it is even more so.

While there are some supplements and herbs you can take for the symptoms of menopause there is not an over the counter replacement for hrt. There are bio identical replacements available. By bio identical I mean bio identical to what our body made before the hyst. There are also compounding pharmacies who can make your hormones specifically to your needs. Hormones are not one size fits all and I think it's great that we do have so many options and choices. You can read more in the articles at www.hormonejungle.com We also have a forum here for hormone related questions Hormone Jungle Message Board
Unread 07-25-2004, 05:57 PM

Hi Trish

When I had an ultrasound before my hyst the technician couldn't find my right ovary. She wasn't at all concerned as she said they can go into hiding and are hard to pick up sometimes. I'd imagine if there were cysts or such like growing on it it would be a lot easier to see. When I had another ultrasound post hyst, she saw it just fine. Maybe all those horrible fibroids were hiding it?

Unread 07-25-2004, 08:10 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies - just knowing I'm not alone and that this isn't that unusual, will help lesson the worry between now and my next appointment the second week of August when I get the results of all my tests. It's funny how so often you start to feel better just days before your appointment, making it more difficult to give a convincing description of the agony that you were going through during the (most recent) episode of pain - with endo I've found everyday is different than any other but the symptons are never exactly as they've been in the past....seems like I'm being put to the test once again to see just how much pain I can actually tolerate before I'm at the doorstep of my doctors office once again GRRRRRRR :-)
Thanks Again (((hugs)))))
Trish

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.