HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

LEEP results - abnormal cells to the edge - mild dyslplasia LEEP results - abnormal cells to the edge - mild dyslplasia

Unread 07-26-2004, 02:31 PM
LEEP results - abnormal cells to the edge - mild dyslplasia

Hi, I am very new to all this. In my weeks of reading your site I have gone through a bad pap, biopsy and LEEP. I found your site very helpful.

I just had a LEEP 2 weeks ago and got the all clear today to go back to my workouts, house chores (yuk!) etc. The only thing I did not find encouraging was that the tissue that was removed, the pathology report found abnormal cells to the edge. My doctor indicated there is a possibility some of the abnormal cells were left behind. THese might die off on there own or have been cauterized during the LEEP or might survive and grow back. My case is mild dysplasia, HPV, high-risk. I have gone every year for a pap. About 15 years ago, had a bad pap but dr did nothing because it was abnormal a stage were they did nothing but follow-up with another PAP. All future PAPs were good until this April. We will monitor via PAP for now - I go back in 3 months. Though out of work for 1.5 years I am trying to take good care of myself and try not to worry about paying the bills. I work out regularly, in great shape and now taking a multi-vitamin.

My first question is, "the abnormal cells to the edge", is this the same as "unclear margins"? Second, has anyone rec'd the same results where the pathology report indicates cells to the end with mild dysplasia, what are my chances of it reoccurring? Any other recommendations, like vitamins, etc?

I apologize if my questions are so basic but I am new to this, still learning terminology and just want to research further.

Thanks is advance for your help and my heart goes out to everyone.

Jacqui
Unread 07-26-2004, 03:15 PM

Jacqui--

there is a vitamin regimen for reversing dysplasia, and I will be happy to detail it for you if you are interested. I got it from the Susan Lark, MD newsletter and used it myself, and although I really didn't have time to adequately test it, (she recommends 3-4 months, and I had barely 2), my pap smear after the vitamins actually did come back a bit better.

I'm not sure if unclear margins and cells at the edge are the same. I will also mention that like with your doctor, mine mentioned after LEEP that some of the cells left behind might have been cauterized. This is just one of those "you'll never know" situations.

As far as recurrence and HPV, I know there is a great book (I found it at Barnes and Noble) about HPV and its impact on cervical health. It had recommendations in it for measures you can take to minimize its effects on you, but unfortunately it's a virus and you're stuck with it. The best defense is to build your immune system. You might also want to put HPV in the search box above and see other threads from the site. There was one a while back called HPV and the guilt/blame game that had a lot of info and resources in it, as I remember.

Good luck!
Valarie
Unread 07-26-2004, 03:16 PM
I also had leep procedure

Hi Jacqui, I also am new to this site..I also had the leep procedure done 2 weeks ago,My Dr. called and said mine came back with clear margins which I am sure thats what they want to see., if yours came back to the edge then that means , no clear margins .i thought that procedure was awful. I got sick and the Dr. told me she watched the color drain from my face.. I never want to have that done again..Was yours that bad?
I am scheduled for a complete Hysterectomy Sept. 10th. I also have the HPV virus and my Dr told me that the dysplasia ( i had 2 spots mild and moderate) could return, I also have other things going on, complex cyst on the left ovary, hyperplasia endometrium, polyps, so she feels a hyster. would be best plan of action.
Has your Dr. told you what they will do next.Usually they will repeat the pap in a few months..Also did you have a lot of stuff coming out like 2 days after the procedure? I had something that looked like a crumbled up wet brown paper sack come out twice, it was really wierd,and I am trying to figure out if this was the skin form the surgery ( cervix) or what..take care and best of luck to you ..Karen
Unread 07-26-2004, 03:49 PM

Hi Jacqui,
I had the same situation you describe. In February I had a Leep that came back with "focal mild dysplasia extending to the margins." My dr. said that he still thought that I had about a 90 percent chance of no further problems. From what I had read, I did not believe that my chances were quite that good. I had my first abnormal PAP in November. I had never heard about HPV and didn't even know that I was at risk at all since I have been married for 18 years and only had 1 other partner before this. This has been a real eye opener for me. I also take good care of myself as I know the rest of the women do on this site. I hardly ever get sick, but my HPV has been classed as the high risk kind. I started taking multivitamins and extra folic acid when I found out I have this. Unfortunately, I have had my first official PAP smear after the Leep come back as LGSIL (mild dysplasia) once again. I go back to the dr. 8/4 for colposcopy and biopsy (I feel like I'm starting over again), then to talk about further treatment if the results are consistent. I will probably have another Leep. You may very well clear the dysplasia without further treatment though and I'm praying that this is the case for you. It is very positive that everything has been low grade on you, so your chances are probably greater than mine were for clearing this since I did have some severe "focal" spots located in the Leep. There is another option for low grade dysplasia too which is less invasive, cyrosurgery. However, I am taking a more aggressive treatment course by choice because I am over 40 and done with childbearing and also because the more severe level of dysplasia was detected in my case. I think you have every reason to feel hopeful that your Leep may have already taken care of the problem, and if not you more than likely will be able to take care of it with another minor procedure. I pray that you do very well. I know how yucky it feels to see the "unclear margins" on a path report. Take care!
Unread 07-26-2004, 06:07 PM

First, thanks for such quick replies.

My dr. (please let me mention this is my second dr. - the first was unable to schedule the colposcopy for 6 more weeks, the nurse said it was no big deal and would not let me speak to him. She said the abnormal PAP could be just an infection. Well as we know now it was not just an infection. It's my life so I went elsewhere and ended up with a gem of a dr.) ANyway, my dr. told me from the start that I probably would have to go through future colposcopies. Again he reiterated that if a PAP comes back abnormal a colposcopy would be done to reconfirm. I am just going to take it day by day - I know, sometimes it's easier said than done.

From what I read about the LEEP is that the tissue can be sent to pathology to test if all was removed. Some procedures don't hold this option. The LEEP was a piece of cake, I did not feel a thing. Even after the anesthetic wore off, I felt nothing. There was very little blood and there has been discharge of various colors. Dr. said this will occur for up to 6 weeks as it takes that long to fully recover. Even though its been 2 weeks I feel great but when he inserted the speculum - boy did that hurt. He said that was normal. Now that I am at 2 weeks, he stated I may see spotting and not to be alarmed as this is normal as well.

As for pain, I did have an ECC which really did hurt. The results of this were perfect, nothing found. Also had an internal & external ultrasound -- the internal really moved my insides around I was very uncomfortable after that.

I guess from now on I will ask for the exact wording from the reports as this seems to be extremely critical.

I appreciate all the words of wisdom and kind thoughts as my case is by no means as critical as what some of you have gone through. They tell me this is very common and very curable so I'll keep those thoughts. Positive thinking and my yoga will help me de-stress and the multiple vitamin has done wonders for my level of energy in the 6 weeks that I started taking it. I just read about the folic acid and selenium (which are present in my vitamin). THere are 2 others that might be helpful seleniuum and something that starts with "astrala" I don't have the correct /full spelling. Anyone taking these?

thanks for everyone's input.
Jacqui
Unread 07-26-2004, 06:32 PM

Yes, I am taking selenium, folic acid, DIM, and the herb astragalus. The herb is an anti-viral, and the DIM is for cancers which are Estrogen Receptor positive, I believe. I also upped my antioxidents (Vit. C and E). Be careful with the selenium. It has a relatively low toxicity dose--I had to cut back on mine when I realized that the multi I take had quite a bit of selenium in it.

Valarie
Unread 07-26-2004, 07:24 PM

Where can you purchase astralagus and DIM?
Unread 07-26-2004, 09:31 PM

I got the astragalus from my local health food store, but I know I've also bought it at The Vitamin Shoppe, which is a large national chain. It's not too hard to find, and I'm sure you can order it off the internet. The DIM I use is Source Naturals, which I have my health food store order for me; you can also get it off the internet. Surferbabe posted a great thread about it a few weeks ago; you might want to try searching for it. She has good info on dosage, etc. I take mine in conjunction with Vitamin E. If you have any more questions, feel free to get in touch with me.

Valarie
Unread 07-26-2004, 10:06 PM

Thanks, Valarie, for the information! I will check into getting these supplements.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.