Anyone have a seroma? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have a seroma? Anyone have a seroma?

Unread 07-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Anyone have a seroma?

On the day I was discharged, I came home, etc., took a nap, and when I woke up, I was bleeding heavily. After I calmed down and realized I was not hemoraging, my husband said it was my incision that was bleeding (had TAH 4 days before). Called the doctor and back to the hospital we went. Before I got to the hospital, I had bled through 3 pads (was bleeding in the abdomen but didn't want to ruin my towels )
Anyway, I was told that I had a seroma - a pocket of blood behind my incision that started coming out. It is not painful but irritating. Because of the location, it is hard to keep a pad on it. When I wake, I have bled on myself because things move around while I am sleeping.

Has anyone else had one of these? How long will it continue to ooze blood? This has been the most irritating part of my recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2004, 10:44 PM
Anyone have a seroma?

Hi,

I have not had a seroma, but I wanted to stop by and say I am sorry you are having to deal with one. It must be very frustrating to have this.

If you want to find others who have experienced this , you can do this by clicking on Search at the top of the page and type in seroma.

I hope this helps you find some info on this.

I am that you will heal and be on your way to a new and better you.

s
Unread 07-26-2004, 11:57 PM
Anyone have a seroma?

hello

I had to go back to my doctors on my first day home. I woke up with my incision bleeding. He had to remove alot of my staples because I had a hematoma. I went back to his office four days later to get the remaining staples out. When he checked the open side a bunch of fluid came out. It had a little blood in it. He called it a seroma. I removed my packing to clean the open area that evening and bunches of fluid poured out. It actually ran down my legs and onto my bathroom floor. I was amazed how much fluid there was. This only lasted a couple days. The hematoma is what caused my incision healing problems, not the seroma.

I hope this helps.
Take care
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2004, 12:17 AM
Anyone have a seroma?

Hi
I had a seroma in my case two wounds opened up and the liquid drained trough that, it was not blood it was a brown liquid, the doctor had my nurse irrigate it with peroxide and then pack it with packing strips and then put a guaze patch on top of that. The draining started on a Tuesday night and had stopped by Sunday night but the wounds took about a month to heal.
Linda-Rae
Unread 07-27-2004, 02:36 AM
Anyone have a seroma?

Hi

I had a seroma (actually, my incision split in 3 places at 1 wk post op). What an irritation it was!! While it didn't hurt and never got infected, it took until I was 3 months post op to heal. The doctor did put me on anti-biotics for the first 10 days and check it weekly to make sure it was healing right.

My doctor recommended I clean it with hydrogen peroxide and pack it with gauze twice a day. Each day the packing got smaller and smaller. When I was just laying on the bed and napping or relaxing, I would leave it open to the air. If I was going anywhere, I would either use one of those old maxi pads or some lightweight gauze taped over it. At night I put plastic on the bed with a huge towel over it in case I leaked.

While it's a scary thing if you're not expecting it, most seromas don't seem to cause much real trouble if you take care of them and have them checked regularly. I kind of thought of it as a speed bump on the road to recovery.

Good luck!
s
Cat
Unread 07-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Anyone have a seroma?

during my second week i had a puffed up red spot on my incision. called dr. and nurse said that since i was not running a temperature was probably a stitch working loose. two days later which was a friday i called back because the spot was so irritated. went in on monday. a small area broke open sunday and more so on monday before i went in. doctor told me this was a seroma and pushed on incision to get more fluid out. she then applied peroxide and told me to do this 3 times a day. it is now thursday and i am still having some drainage and a small spot that will not close. did not have to have it packed since it was not very large i guess. hoping this will clear up soon. let me know how it goes with you.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register