HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Pre Op Procedure!!! Help Pre Op Procedure!!! Help

Unread 07-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Pre Op Procedure!!! Help

PLEASE, Somebody tell me what pre op consist of??? I have to go to the drs office and then the hospital for about 1 hour???? Denna
Unread 07-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Pre Op Procedure!!! Help

I just had my appointment yesterday and it was actually better than a regular gyno appt.

The took four vials of blood, took a urine specimine and weight & bp.

My doctor didn't do an exam (she just did one at my last appt 4 weeks earlier) but I think you can expect at least a regular pelvic.

My doctor went over the procedure and all of my questions and then they sent me on my way.

Be sure to bring a list of your questions with you when you go, I was rather nervous and glad I had mine.
Unread 07-30-2004, 04:34 PM
Pre Op Procedure!!! Help

Mine was blood work, chest x-ray and ekg. No biggie!
Unread 07-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Pre Op Procedure!!! Help

Thanks everybody!!! Denna
Unread 07-30-2004, 08:37 PM
Pre Op Procedure!!! Help

My pre-op was on Tuesday - TAH on Aug. 2
The nurse took my blood pressure, weighed me and asked a lot of medical history questions. Then someone else took one vial of blood and that was it.

Take care!!!!!
Unread 07-30-2004, 09:22 PM
Pre Op Procedure!!! Help

Ugh, I went yesterday, and my dr gave me another pelvic. I swear that man puts his whole hand in there. I'm thinking what is this?? I'm passing a uterus not a baby? I guess he's making sure I have enough room?

"Nick" pulled my blood and did a great job, the pre-op nurse talked with me about what to expect when I go in monday (at 5:30am) and I asked about pain meds. She made a note I rather demerol over morphine. And they took a $1,300 deposit - I was not expecting that! I got a list of things to do and bring and not to do. (wear socks as it gets cold) and no eating past 12am. Not even water to take my morning med. I'll just have to bring them with me and take it after the surgery. In the mean time I'm cleaning my house and getting things in order.
Unread 07-31-2004, 12:13 AM
Pre Op Procedure!!! Help

Although pre-ops can be different, I just had mine today in prep for Monday afternoon surgery. Basically, I got explanations, instructions and answers about my surgery. My doctor, who is very personable and informative, explained the procedure for me ... TVH with some bladder repair. She explained the risks of surgery and anesthesia. She also told me where I would stay in the hospital. I asked her about general anesthesia versus spinal. (She said that she has had a few patients who elected spinal. She said that one time she was startled when the patient started asking questions during the surgery. She is not used to having the patients talk during surgery!) I asked about removal of the ovaries. I told her that if she discovered cysts or other problems with my ovaries that I would agree to have them removed, so she added "possible BSO" to the surgery description. She also told me about heated massage booties that she puts on her patients to provide warmth and to help decrease blood clots (by increasing blood circulation). She told me to consume only "clear liquids" (broth, jello, apple or cranberry juice, water) on Sunday, no food or water on Monday before surgery. She said that this helps her complete the surgery, and it will decrease nausea and indigestion. She explained that I will be able to eat and walk as soon as I am ready, and I will be released from the hospital when my body is functioning correctly ... you know what I mean. At the hospital, the attendant took blood samples to document my blood and antigen data in case I need blood after surgery. I provided another urine sample to ensure that I had no infections. Then a hospital administrator talked to me about my other illnesses or surgeries (I have no other illnesses, and I have never had surgery before). I'm 47 and in good health, except for this GYN stuff. Then, she gave me list of instructions for the day of surgery - no solid foods after midnight, no medications (including vitamins, HRT, aspirin, ibuprofen, etc.), no food or drink within 4 hours of surgery, no makeup or mascara, no contact lenses, and no valuables or jewelry. She told me what time and where to check into the hospital. So, now I am ready for my journey to the Castle!
Unread 07-31-2004, 08:36 AM
Pre Op Procedure!!! Help

I had my pre-op Thursday.

The GYN wanted an IVP so he could see where the bladder structures (arteries? urethra?) are and he can avoid them during surgery (GREAT IDEA!!). After the IVP, I met with the anesthesiologist, had some blood drawn and gave a urine sample.

I will meet with my family doc this coming week for an EKG and medical clearance for surgery (GYN wants to spread the liability since I have high blood pressure - controlled).

Anyway, I was nervous about the IVP but it wasn't as bad as I had it in my mind! (Isn't that always the case?!?)

Good Luck!! SuzP
Unread 07-31-2004, 09:54 AM
Pre Op Procedure!!! Help

My pre-op was split into 2. The first was with my gyn surgeon who did a pelvic exam and answered any question he could. That was at the begining of July. Then, July 21, I went to the castle for the other half of the pre-op. Saw someone in research and am donating tissue after path has been done. Saw nurse who answered the rest of my questions and went over life in the castle. Asked health question. Had alot of blood drawn and an ekg. Went to a hyster class where another nurse explained what happens, answered questions and took us on a tour of the ward. Went back to pre-op to see the anesthesia docs, there were 2 of them. The one at the castle took 3hrs.

One thing I did, was to give the castle a sheet about me. When I thought of something I thought they should know, I'd enter it in a file I started on the computer about me then, printed it up on the day of my pre-op at the castle. I even kept track of my BP for a few days and charted that for them as well. Worry can give a false high as did with me because I was worried I would forget to tell them something important. That worry made my BP go way up. But when the did the ekg after the questions, my BP was fine.

My advise, ask, ask, ask and, before your pre-op write things down you think is important about the op or you.
Unread 07-31-2004, 10:25 AM
Pre Op Procedure!!! Help

What's an IVP?
Christina

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway