HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Silver Nitrate Applications are Not working after 4 treatments Silver Nitrate Applications are Not working after 4 treatments

Unread 08-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Silver Nitrate Applications are Not working after 4 treatments

I went to the doc yesterday to find out how my granulation tissue is coming along....not good, after four treatments. As I understood I had moderate to severe granualtion tissue, so my doc stated that I would need at least 3-4 Silver Nitrate treatments to clear it up. I have had those, and the cramping and the discharge for the last 4 weeks, (and my surgery was on May 20th of this year.)

Yesterday when he went in to check the tissue and "dry it off from all the discharge" he used a large-size Q-Tip and the entire top layer came off and revealed moderate granulation tissue still! His next course of treament is to freeze off the tissues. If that doesn't work he says that he will have to go back in surgically.

This surpises me as what good would removing all this granulation tissue i.e.(abnormal scab) and have to have it heal all over again? Wont the same thing happen again? I mean if my body isn't healing correctly, what good is removing the bad scar tissue and then expecting it to be replaced with good scar tissue? I am so confused, and I must admit A LOT frustrated.

My DH is trying to be really patient with this, but we have not had sex since before the 20th. The doctor stated that he would prefer my not having sex, as this tissue is really susceptible to infection and bleeding, he really doesn't want to disturb any healing processes. (it hurts to just insert the speculum, and when he pokes around with that huge Q-Tip, I want to cry) The pain is really deep and dull achey. With each treatment it feels more crampy and achey. I am trying really hard to stay optimistic about everything but find myself waning at times.

Do I risk having sex to stop my husbands mild complaining of living the life of a monk, or do I try other things? I am just so fatigued by the end of the day. (I have three young children, and by the end of the day after the LAVH I am beat! I fall into bed and usually don't remember even hitting the pillow.

Has anyone had to go through this freezing treatment and then possibly surgery for the granulation tissue? Any HELP would be great!!

Thanks Girls!
Unread 08-06-2004, 02:31 PM

I'm so sorry you are going through this. s

I have only had two silver nitrate treatments; the second one was just this past week, so I don't know for sure if it is healed yet. I also had an infection. Don't know if this made any difference in the healing process either.

I don't think I would go against your doctor's recommendation regarding having sex. If I were you, I wouldn't want an infection on top of everything else.

Hopefully, someone else will come along who will have more advice regarding freezing and/or surgery. I'm not quite to that point yet.

Good luck to you. I hope you get healed soon.
Unread 08-06-2004, 06:20 PM

Hi

I'm so sorry you're having a lot of trouble with granulation tissue. I had a lot of trouble with it myself so I really understand your frustration.

My doctor said I had a lot of granulation tissue. It was along the entire vaginal cuff. He tried treating it first with silver nitrate but wasn't very convinced it was going to be effective. He was right. When I went back for a followup, it was still there. He scheduled me for an in-office procedure called LEEP, which stands for Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure. It involves first numbing the vaginal cuff, then cutting away the affected tissue. The procedure took about 30 minutes. After it was removed the area was treated with silver nitrate that day and at least once more later for a small area that was a bit more stubborn.

With proper treatment it will eventually go away and not return. My doctor said it's not known why some women develop it and others do not.

I was also advised to avoid sex after each treatment for at least a week. My granulation tissue bled easily - just from a slight touch when my doctor did the examination.

It's not worth the risk of infection to go against your doctor's orders. Your DH can wait it out until you're fully healed.

Sending s

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.